By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Which XBOX 360 model is your favorite and why?

Which XBOX 360 design is your favorite?

XBOX 360 Original 6 26.09%

XBOX 360 S 15 65.22%

XBOX 360 E 2 8.70%

Total:23
yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Well fuck me sideways, I checked the back and it's an S model, it's been so long since I saw the fat irl that I thought it was one just cos it was matte instead of glossy. (All the photos of the S model I've seen online were glossy)

Well, there were matte and glossy slims, the 4GB ones were matte and the glossy ones were the 250GB or 320GB models.

Mine's matte but I think it's the 250GB version, apparently those were matte too starting in mid-2011. I also have an E model bagged up in my cupboard as a replacement ready to go as I anticipated that the one I use would die after a few years.

Around the Network

I'll go with the fat 360 as it's the only one I had I got it back around summer 2008 and it survived a fire and never rrod'd on me. It stopped working around 2013 because of the disk drive and I never bothered repairing it

yo33331 said:

As the title suggests which XBOX 360 model was you favorite by a design standpoint and why?

My favorite was the FAT XBOX 360, I liked the design the most, it was looking fun, and next gen, also you could switch the faceplates.

Many of you may not prefer the FAT model because of the RROD, but just to point out, every FAT with Jasper motherboard (end of 2008 onwards) was prone to RROD, and they were the most reliable XBOX 360 revisions of all. Yes even more than the slims and the E models.. you can search the web to see how many units of the slims and E models have overheated in the last couple of years, and you pretty much can't find jasper console failing because of overheating ..

<SNIP>

Overheating wasn't the Xbox 360's main technical issue... The hardware most certainly did lack any thermal protection... However the main culprit was actually the new solder they used which when heated up and then cooled down over a number of times would result in cracks.
Which is why the "towel" method worked.

As far as hardware reliability is concerned, the E-models are definitely the most reliable as they were the most power efficient and had the best thermal characteristics.

curl-6 said:

I like all three, but the S wins out for me by the narrowest of margins due to being sleeker than the Pro/Elite and less plain than the E model.

The S model also had a few extra features over the E-Model.

* Optical Audio.
* Multi-AV out.
* Extra USB Port.

Which is why I didn't bother "downgrading" to the E model.

Plus the aesthetics of the E model were based around the Xbox One design language with horrible cheap plastics which scratch easy.

Leynos said:

S. One of the best-looking consoles ever made. The matte black is perfect as I hate glossy finishes.  I liked the OG 360 in second place. It was cool looking for it's time and I do love faceplates.  Had kinda Dreamcast 2 look to it for me. The E model is hot trash. Discount Xbox One and Xbox One is one of the worst looking consoles ever.

I have the Halo 4 edition Xbox 360 S. Definitely a good looking machine.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

I like all three, but the S wins out for me by the narrowest of margins due to being sleeker than the Pro/Elite and less plain than the E model.

The S model also had a few extra features over the E-Model.

* Optical Audio.
* Multi-AV out.
* Extra USB Port.

Which is why I didn't bother "downgrading" to the E model.

Plus the aesthetics of the E model were based around the Xbox One design language with horrible cheap plastics which scratch easy.

Thanks for the heads up; I think I'll be fine, I don't use any of those features and don't mind how the E looks.

yo33331 said:
Pemalite said

As far as hardware reliability is concerned, the E-models are definitely the most reliable as they were the most power efficient and had the best thermal characteristics.

Go find E models in reddit and on ebay, that overheated with Red light, there are many .. however you can't find jasper FATs died with RROD (because of malfunction or overheating).

That is all anecdotal.

Plus the E-Variant is the worst selling variant as it came at the end of the Xbox 360's lifetime, thus the sample size is smaller.

yo33331 said:

The jaspers FAT consoles are the most reliable and the most prone to RROD.

Wouldn't the RROD make them the least reliable?

You aren't making much sense.

Around the Network

Shit, I just found out some E models only have 4GB of RAM, hope my backup system isn't one of those, is there a way to tell without setting it up?

yo33331 said:
Pemalite said:

That is all anecdotal.

Plus the E-Variant is the worst selling variant as it came at the end of the Xbox 360's lifetime, thus the sample size is smaller.

yo33331 said:

well I am sorry, I was distracted by doing two things at the same time .. I meant the most immune to RROD ..

The RROD was rectified with the S models. Not sure how the E model will have RROD issues since its an ever later model. RROD was only an issue with the orginal fat 360s.

Iv never heard any official complaints with the S and especially the E Models when it comes to RROD.

curl-6 said:

Shit, I just found out some E models only have 4GB of RAM, hope my backup system isn't one of those, is there a way to tell without setting it up?

NAND, not Ram. - The consoles came with 512MB.

You can tell by looking at storage... But you can also expand their storage. - Just look in the HDD bay?

yo33331 said:
Pemalite said:

That is all anecdotal.

yo33331 said:

well I am sorry, I was distracted by doing two things at the same time .. I meant the most immune to RROD ..

The E Model is the most reliable. It had a 45nm chip rather than the 65nm ones in Jasper.

Jasper is the most reliable out of the Xbox 360 Fat consoles.

This post was inappropriate.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 05 June 2021

I still have both a fat white (Zephr) and a matte S. 

The noises the fat makes are incredibly fun. The clanging and crunching of the disk drive. Even the power supply these days is incredibly loud. 

But given that i'd actually have to use the thing - the matte S models are clearly the best. Quieter, more reliable. 

But if I had to use a glossy S or a 360 E... eeew. All my least favourite console designs, including PS3 fat, Xbox One fat, Xbox 360 E, all have the same horrendous idea of using matte surfaces. Even if you gently place them in a home console and never so much as touch them, they STILL somehow scratch. Its like the dust is doing it or something.