By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The evolution of the console market over time

I like it. I'd swap PS1-N64 or maybe moved N64 over to PC priority if you hadn't qualified it with the manufacturer's approach.

Nintendo's attempts to evolve killed SMB and Zelda's arcade gameplay and replaced them with 2 PC games. This left N64 only having Mario Kart, GoldenEye/PD and Smash v sports, tons of racers, 2.5D platformers and fighters with simpler controls.

Intentionally or not, X360 out-arcaded PS3 with it's heavier focus on online shooters, Kinect and XBL-Arcade despite it's crappy d-pad.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

From Switch top 10 best sellers:

BOTW differs nothing from Sony/MS games,  I'd say it's closer to a PC game

Mario Kart is Arcade Evolved, no contest

Odyssey seems more like a balanced maybe? 

Smash is also more like an Arcade game

Sword and Shield is a classic console RPG but with very few focus in story and plotline, I don't know exactly how to classify it 

Let's Go is a mixed smartphone game and a classic Pokemon game 

Animal Crossing... I'm not sure. I don't get the same feelings playing AC as I do playing other simulators, I guess the fact the game meet major success playing in handhelds where people could play in small little sessions is their best selling point. I might consider it another thing altogether, maybe closer to mobile games than either PC or Console games 

Mario Party is... no idea. How do you see party games? 

Splatoon 2 is a PC game played on console. Anybody who disagrees with the single player campaign in mind don't really understand the popularity of the game lies on its multiplayer 

New Super Mario Bros U is also an arcade game

Bonus (future top 10): Monster Hunter Rise, also a balance between arcade games and PC games

Overall Switch strikes me more in the Balanced category than arcade evolved. Switch library being diverse is one of its selling point 

BoTW is arcade compared to previous 3D Zeldas. Party games are arcade. Splatoon like most online shooters is arcade. RFA is arcade. Switch Sports will be arcade.

Pyro as Bill said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

From Switch top 10 best sellers:

BOTW differs nothing from Sony/MS games,  I'd say it's closer to a PC game

Mario Kart is Arcade Evolved, no contest

Odyssey seems more like a balanced maybe? 

Smash is also more like an Arcade game

Sword and Shield is a classic console RPG but with very few focus in story and plotline, I don't know exactly how to classify it 

Let's Go is a mixed smartphone game and a classic Pokemon game 

Animal Crossing... I'm not sure. I don't get the same feelings playing AC as I do playing other simulators, I guess the fact the game meet major success playing in handhelds where people could play in small little sessions is their best selling point. I might consider it another thing altogether, maybe closer to mobile games than either PC or Console games 

Mario Party is... no idea. How do you see party games? 

Splatoon 2 is a PC game played on console. Anybody who disagrees with the single player campaign in mind don't really understand the popularity of the game lies on its multiplayer 

New Super Mario Bros U is also an arcade game

Bonus (future top 10): Monster Hunter Rise, also a balance between arcade games and PC games

Overall Switch strikes me more in the Balanced category than arcade evolved. Switch library being diverse is one of its selling point 

BoTW is arcade compared to previous 3D Zeldas. Party games are arcade. Splatoon like most online shooters is arcade. RFA is arcade. Switch Sports will be arcade.

I don't see shooters as arcade games

RolStoppable said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Ok  but what exactly make Switch games so different from, PS3 or PS4 games besides production value? Some of best selling Swtich are nothing but Wii U ports 

Or are you basing your list only on hardware aspects? 

The list is based on what the manufacturers expect their consoles to do.

Ah, that makes sense now. Because I felt Dreamcast might have fallen into Arcade Evolution, but it definitely did have a goal of balanced approach.

Anyway, I really like posts like this one.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Regardless of what you're able to see, certain types of shooters were in fact a huge part of the arcade. Asteroids was probably the first major shooter. Then you have games like Time Crisis, Terminator 2, House of the Dead to name a few that were in virtually every arcade all over the world and on every cruise ship.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 28 March 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

BOTW differs nothing from Sony/MS games,

I don't think we're going to agree on much.

Jumpin said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Regardless of what you're able to see, certain types of shooters were in fact a huge part of the arcade. Asteroids was probably the first major shooter. Then you have games like Time Crisis, Terminator 2, House of the Dead to name a few that were in virtually every arcade all over the world and on every cruise ship.

I get it, but when I see multiplayer shooters the only thing thet comes to mind is Counter Strike (granted, it's far from the first online shooter, as online multiplayer on PC shooters were a thing since the 90's)

Even if the genre born in arcades its selling point lies on online multiplayer, this used to be a PC game feature. Just like RPG born in PCs, but evolved on their own way

Pyro as Bill said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

BOTW differs nothing from Sony/MS games,

Humm, I can agree to disagree with the shooters, but I'm still failing to see what set Zelda apart of many action modern adventure games, lack of mandatory cinematic scenes? 

I even see their design focused on exploration and puzzle solving as heavily borrowed from PCs

IcaroRibeiro said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Humm, I can agree to disagree with the shooters, but I'm still failing to see what set Zelda apart of many action modern adventure games, lack of mandatory cinematic scenes? 

I even see their design focused on exploration and puzzle solving as heavily borrowed from PCs

Minecraft is technically a MS game so I was wrong to imply BoTW has nothing in common with MS/Sony games.

Would you consider local wifi multiplayer on DS to be a more arcade or PC innovation? What about LAN gameplay on PC? You're right that PC did online first but online is just an extension of local multiplayer so I'd consider it an arcade innovation for PC.

Pyro as Bill said:

Minecraft is technically a MS game so I was wrong to imply BoTW has nothing in common with MS/Sony games.

Would you consider local wifi multiplayer on DS to be a more arcade or PC innovation? 

Well Minecraft is a sandbox game, I think their oldest inspiration might be simulators like Sim City where you could farm resources to build things. I don't see much similarity between Minecraft and BOTW besides the open world, but well I've stopped playing Minecraft about 10 years ago no idea how this game looks like now

I would say local multiplayer is more like Arcade evolved (inspired by arcades, executed on consoles). I agree it has arcade roots from games like Metal Slug or Captain Commando