By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro game recommendation thread

There are a ton of retro games I could recommend. Any genres in particular that people are looking for?

Around the Network

I literally came to this thread to mention Bulk Slash lol. It's my fave Saturn game.

In that case. Ranger X genesis. Think of side scrolling ZOE.

Also Omega Boost.

Last edited by Leynos - on 18 March 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Was watching the Bulk Slash video. It somehow reminded me of Daemon X Machina. Maybe DxM took some inspiration from Bulk Slash.

GoOnKid said:

Was watching the Bulk Slash video. It somehow reminded me of Daemon X Machina. Maybe DxM took some inspiration from Bulk Slash.

No. Daemon X Machina is from some of the staff that worked on the PS2 era Armored Core games. DXM is more like Armored Core mixed in with some Zone of the Enders.

Playing Parasite Eve at the moment. Feels like the love child between Resident Evil and Final Fantasy 8. Also, it's suprisingly un-janky for a PSX game.

Around the Network

1. Elemental Master

Do you like Thunder Force III or Lightening Force? Well, I have good news for you. Technosoft also made Elemental Master. It's a top-down shooter in which you can fire forward or in reverse. The game itself is pretty expensive, but if you have a multicart it's definitely worth checking out.

2. Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter

This is a single player beat'em up with insane art design and music. It's based on the Mazinger Z manga. At the end of every level you get to fight a giant boss power rangers style. If you see this one for sale anywhere buy it, because it's expensive, but not nearly as expensive as it should be. The game is stupidly rare. Not everybody knows about this one, so it's still fairly cheap. I expect a mint copy to eventually go for $300+. Get it for reasonable prices while you can.

3. Valis III

This is an action platformer that plays a lot like a mix between Megaman and Castlevania. It's got a really good presentation with Ninja Gaiden (NES) style cutscenes inbetween each stage. You play as a magical girl with her own sword known as the Valis Sword. This Sword is the good guy alternate to the Leethus Sword wielded by the evil Glames.

4. X-Men 2 Clone Wars

Damn, I love this game! Loosely based on the Phalanx storyline from the comics, X-Men 2 clone wars is an action platformer. The moveset in this game is phenomenal. Every character has enough moves to rival early fighting games like Street Fighter II. Beast, Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Psylocke, and one additional hidden character are all playable here. As you can imagine the game sold amazingly well, and is therefore stupidly cheap. The only flaw in this game is that the camera in the 2 player mode fails to keep up with both players at once.

5. Buster's Hidden Treasure

Yeah, this is a Sonic clone made by Konami, and based around the Tiny Toon Adventures cartoon series. Need I say more? It's also very affordable with CIB copies going for as little as $20.

Leynos said:

I literally came to this thread to mention Bulk Slash lol. It's my fave Saturn game.

In that case. Ranger X genesis. Think of side scrolling ZOE.

Also Omega Boost.

I was going to make fun of you over in the console tier list thread for listing Saturn as S tier. But I held my tongue, because I know Saturn has a crapton of great import games I've never heard of. I also don't know all that much about Saturn's NA library, so there may be some hidden gems there too. Anyway, keep the Saturn recommendations coming. I'll get one eventually and mod it to play whatever games I want.

P.S. I totally agree with you on Ranger X. Definitely a must have Genesis game!

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 19 March 2021

From the people who would later bring you Dragon's Crown. Odin Sphere and more. Princess Crown.

There is also a PS1 version. I don't know of any real differences. Other than the PS1 version is "Cheaper" but it's still $80. Saturn version is almost double that.

Not my fave in the series but still great. Also pretty brutal. More so than it's predecessors. Assault Suit Leynos and Assault Suit Valken (Cybernator on SNES)

One of my fave non-Capcom/SNK/SEGA fighting games on Saturn.

One of the better shmups on the system which is loaded with them.

FPS RTS. - Battlezone 2.

TBS. - Master of Orion 2.

TBS. - Alpha Centauri.

RTS FPS - Sacrifice.

RTS FPS. Evolva.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--