By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 New VR Controller revealed

Excited to see what the headset will look like now. Worried it will be an expensive year with a revised ps5 possibly and this. Hoping it's wireless. Might need to invest in Google nest WiFi in case it's all wireless.

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:

Excited to see what the headset will look like now. Worried it will be an expensive year with a revised ps5 possibly and this. Hoping it's wireless. Might need to invest in Google nest WiFi in case it's all wireless.

I thought they already confirmed there would be a single wire from the headset.

the-pi-guy said:
The Fury said:

I presume the guard if for people not to swing them around and hit their friends in the face right?

What do you mean by guard?

He means the circular tracking ring that surrounds your hands, I suppose it it could be mistaken as a hand guard like you see on certain swords.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I'm curious what they mean by 'finger touch detection'. Does it only differentiate between a fully open and fully closed hand/finger? The Index can track gradual finger positions, right?

The plot thickens!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Looks promising, my only worry is pricing.

Leynos said:

The plot thickens!

That's a logo I haven't seen in quite some time but yhea it looks very similar.

KLAMarine said:

Wonder how VR graphics will look like with PS5 under the hood.

I guess somewhere between ps3 and ps4 since PSVR on PS4 looked somewhat below PS3 level. PS4 pro just made it a bit sharper. It could be full PS4 level for games that were already 60fps, but those that ran at 30fps might still be to taxing to get double fps, stereo view, wider fov on ps5 with the same fidelity.

It won't be until pupil tracking enables efficient foveated rendering that VR can surpass pancake rendering.

Although... 2,560 by 1,440 resolution display with a 220-degree field of view and eye tracking The resolution is stlll a bit low to get full use out of foveated rendering, but perhaps enough to get full ps4 30fps games running without compromises. It will have some optimizations for the wide fov, you can't focus that far to the sides and peripheral vision is very low res. I wonder how the pixels are distributed with the optics, much higher density in the center I assume.

It will still be quite taxing on games to have 220 degrees of geometry in view at all times. Foveated rendering is a must, with or without eye tracking.

TallSilhouette said:

I'm curious what they mean by 'finger touch detection'. Does it only differentiate between a fully open and fully closed hand/finger? The Index can track gradual finger positions, right?

I'm gonna assume capacitive touch. On buttons like triggers and face buttons. So it detects your touch in real-time and displays in game. Say you have your finger on the trigger it will show that.

The_Yoda said:
Fei-Hung said:

I thought they already confirmed there would be a single wire from the headset.

Just want to see it. With the old one you had to do this role spiel with the hdmi cable and in the end street I played what I wanted it just sat there as I couldn't be asked plugging and unplugging.