By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mobile killed handheld gaming, or Switch is successful only because it is handheld?

Tagged games:

NyanNyanNekoChan said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

So you think Mario Runner, Fire Emblem Heroes, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp and Pokemon Go are the same as Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem Echoes Shadow of Valentia, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Pokemon Sun/Moon?

Huh? I don't know what half of those games are, I assume they aren't the same? The games which I were referring to, that I typically got a handheld for aren't those games, besides from Pokemon, which I pretty much lost interest in 13 or so years ago.

I used to get handhelds to play games about anime I used to watch. During 2005 I used to watch Yugioh and DBZ for example, and there were a bunch of Yugioh and DBZ games during the GBA era, hence why I was interested in handhelds back then. Fast forward 10 years to 2015, my taste in anime had moved on, I was watching Fate UBW, Overlord and a bunch of other anime while they were airing. I was still eager to pick up games about anime I actively watch, so I would have been interested in a Fate 3DS game for example, but fgo was sadly released on mobile.

Something designed for free to play mobile game loaded with microtransactions like Fate Grand Order wouldn't be something you would expect to find on dedicated handhelds though.  Fate Extella The Umbral Star and Fate Extella Link both released on Switch as well as other platforms.

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:

Something designed for free to play mobile game loaded with microtransactions like Fate Grand Order wouldn't be something you would expect to find on dedicated handhelds though.  Fate Extella The Umbral Star and Fate Extella Link both released on Switch as well as other platforms.

Agreed. fgo would probably have needed to lose those gatcha elements, regenerating currencies and silly quartz prices to make it on to handheld. If fgo was developed that way and ended up on the 3DS back in 2015 as a result, you bet I would have picked it up. Sadly we got what we did.

I did pick up those Extella games btw, although since they were available on PC, I picked up the Steam version so that I could enjoy them in 4k.