By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega nomad was Nintendo Switch in the 90's

Yup.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Pemalite said:

You need to go back and re-read my post in it's intended context, within it's entirety.

I said "Modern Console". Turning it into whatever argument you are trying to put forth currently is just twisting the narrative to suit your own agenda.

I'm not the one with the agenda and I have read your posts.  Your posts can be boiled down to you not liking the design choices that Nintendo made, thus it cannot be a hybrid because reasons.  The reality is life doesn't work that way.  You can not like the Switch all day long, but that doesn't change the function of the Switch.  

If that is what you have taken away from my posts: that "I don't like the Nintendo's design choices" then you certainly have not been paying attention.
I own a Switch. I praise the Switch, it's a great platform, but I also am not obligated to justify any of that to anyone.

So again, go back and re-read my posts in their original context and then we might be able to further this discussion appropriately.

Chrkeller said:

Out of the box it functions as both a home and portable console.  For God's sake the name of the console is literally "Switch" meaning it can do both home and portable.  Their entire marketing campaign is designed around this dual functionality.  And let us not forget prior to the launch of the Switch, Nintendo (as a business decision) literally combined their home and mobile divisions under one reporting structure...  but the Switch isn't a hybrid because it isn't what you would have done...  really?  

No. Out out of the box it functions as a portable console, it just has the ability to output it's display to a television, that's not some magical Nintendo-only "hybrid" feature, that's actually a standard feature in mobile electronics for years now, hell. Even before the Switch came along.

Nintendo combining their home and mobile divisions to streamline business and game development does not actually have any technical bearing on the form factor of it's device.

I.E. If Nintendo was to hypothetically discontinue the DS back in the 7th gen and rolled those development teams over to the Wii, the Wii doesn't magically become a handheld or a hybrid.

Chrkeller said:

Look you have made it clear, it isn't the hybrid you wanted, but that doesn't mean it isn't a hybrid.

Those are your words, not mine, I suggest you stop trying to force a narrative that is simply false in order to justify whatever conspiracy this is.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

I'm not the one with the agenda and I have read your posts.  Your posts can be boiled down to you not liking the design choices that Nintendo made, thus it cannot be a hybrid because reasons.  The reality is life doesn't work that way.  You can not like the Switch all day long, but that doesn't change the function of the Switch.  

If that is what you have taken away from my posts: that "I don't like the Nintendo's design choices" then you certainly have not been paying attention.
I own a Switch. I praise the Switch, it's a great platform, but I also am not obligated to justify any of that to anyone.

So again, go back and re-read my posts in their original context and then we might be able to further this discussion appropriately.

Chrkeller said:

Out of the box it functions as both a home and portable console.  For God's sake the name of the console is literally "Switch" meaning it can do both home and portable.  Their entire marketing campaign is designed around this dual functionality.  And let us not forget prior to the launch of the Switch, Nintendo (as a business decision) literally combined their home and mobile divisions under one reporting structure...  but the Switch isn't a hybrid because it isn't what you would have done...  really?  

No. Out out of the box it functions as a portable console, it just has the ability to output it's display to a television, that's not some magical Nintendo-only "hybrid" feature, that's actually a standard feature in mobile electronics for years now, hell. Even before the Switch came along.

Nintendo combining their home and mobile divisions to streamline business and game development does not actually have any technical bearing on the form factor of it's device.

I.E. If Nintendo was to hypothetically discontinue the DS back in the 7th gen and rolled those development teams over to the Wii, the Wii doesn't magically become a handheld or a hybrid.

Chrkeller said:

Look you have made it clear, it isn't the hybrid you wanted, but that doesn't mean it isn't a hybrid.

Those are your words, not mine, I suggest you stop trying to force a narrative that is simply false in order to justify whatever conspiracy this is.

Find a mirror, you are every bit as guilty at forcing a narrative.  You act as though we all have to bow down and accept your opinion because reasons.  I think it is a hybrid, not sure what else to tell you.  

And for the last time, it does function as a home console right out of the box.  I hook it up to my receiver via HDMI cable, get HD graphics and digital surround sound....  just like all the other home consoles I have purchased over the years.  

Edit

The Switch also supports split screen couch coop out of the box.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 23 March 2021

Maybe Switch 2 will use Bluetooth to remotely connect to a TV-like my phone.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm not sure why people can sometimes get worked up over what others consider the Switch. What people define the Switch really doesn't matter, what matters is it's a very successful system that tens of millions of people are enjoying. Semantic arguments like this rarely go anywhere and are almost always pointless.

Around the Network

Chrkeller said:

Find a mirror, you are every bit as guilty at forcing a narrative. 

False.

Chrkeller said:

You act as though we all have to bow down and accept your opinion because reasons.

False. You are free to believe whatever you desire, it absolutely changes nothing.

Chrkeller said:

And for the last time, it does function as a home console right out of the box.  I hook it up to my receiver via HDMI cable, get HD graphics and digital surround sound....  just like all the other home consoles I have purchased over the years.  

But it's not functioning as a home console. It's functioning as a mobile console, you are just outputting video from the handheld, this isn't some magical home-console technology at work here, it's a standard feature of mobile devices since before the Switch even existed.

Let me ask you this... What is the one single technological feature of the Switch handheld, that actually makes it a hybrid?
Because the Dock/Outputting video to a TV isn't actually one of them, that's a mobile technology.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Norion said:

I'm not sure why people can sometimes get worked up over what others consider the Switch. What people define the Switch really doesn't matter, what matters is it's a very successful system that tens of millions of people are enjoying. Semantic arguments like this rarely go anywhere and are almost always pointless.

Agreed.  And I am a perfect example.  I have owned every MS, Sony and Nintendo home console to date.  I have never owned a portable console, small screen and stereo sound isn't my thing.  I own and love my Switch.  The Switch appeals to home gamers and portable gamers alike.  It was a brilliant move on Nintendo's part.  Regardless of people forcing their opinions on others.  

Ultimately being able to play on the big screen in high definition, 5.1 surround sound, couch coop, removable wireless controllers sold me the Switch.  If those features didn't exist, I wouldn't own one.   

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 23 March 2021

Chrkeller said:
Norion said:

Agreed.  And I am a perfect example.  I have owned every MS, Sony and Nintendo home console to date.  I have never owned a portable console, small screen and stereo sound isn't my thing.  I own and love my Switch.  The Switch appeals to home gamers and portable gamers alike.  It was a brilliant move on Nintendo's part.  Regardless of people forcing their opinions on others.  

Ultimately being able to play on the big screen in high definition, 5.1 surround sound, couch coop, removable wireless controllers sold me the Switch.  If those features didn't exist, I wouldn't own one.   

Wait so if your choice was the mobile only Switch Lite then you wouldn't have purchased one?  But with the Switch that has the ability to be played on your TV (no additional purchase required - hooks to any TV with an HDMI input) you decided to make the purchase based off of that feature?

The_Yoda said:
Chrkeller said:

Wait so if your choice was the mobile only Switch Lite then you wouldn't have purchased one?  But with the Switch that has the ability to be played on your TV (no additional purchase required - hooks to any TV with an HDMI input) you decided to make the purchase based off of that feature?

Correct.  I would not have purchased a Switch if it were mobile only.