By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega nomad was Nintendo Switch in the 90's

No, my argument is the switch as is out of the box is a home console and functions just like all other home consoles. It also functions as a portable out of the box. It does both, again out of the box. So it is a hybrid. You can either accept that or not. No skin off my back either way.

At the end of the day it is all about intent.  Nintendo since the development of the Switch clearly and specifically designed the Switch to function both at home and on the road.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 21 March 2021

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

No, my argument is the switch as is out of the box is a home console and functions just like all other home consoles. It also functions as a portable out of the box. It does both, again out of the box. So it is a hybrid. You can either accept that or not. No skin off my back either way.

At the end of the day it is all about intent.  Nintendo since the development of the Switch clearly and specifically designed the Switch to function both at home and on the road.

It doesn't have all the features of a modern Home console.
I.E. No LAN port. - Rather it relies on technologies designed around mobility. Aka. Wifi.

The Switch is a mobile device that comes with a few "dumb" accessories to charge and output to a fixed display, that to me is not a Hybrid, that's clever marketing.

If the Switch was to convert from a clamshell form factor to a tablet form factor, that to me would be a Hybrid device.

If the Switch actually was augmented by the Dock to increase performance by supplemental processing and memories, then that also to me would class it as a hybrid device.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

I.E. No LAN port. - Rather it relies on technologies designed around mobility. Aka. Wifi.

The Switch is a mobile device that comes with a few "dumb" accessories to charge and output to a fixed display, that to me is not a Hybrid, that's clever marketing.

If the Switch was to convert from a clamshell form factor to a tablet form factor, that to me would be a Hybrid device.

If the Switch actually was augmented by the Dock to increase performance by supplemental processing and memories, then that also to me would class it as a hybrid device.

Amazing argument there.  The Wii and Wii U both lacked LAN out of the box.  Conclusion, Wii and Wii U were mobile devices! 

I wish I would have known that sooner, I could have taken my Wii on long road trips.  

Chrkeller said:
Pemalite said:

Amazing argument there.  The Wii and Wii U both lacked LAN out of the box.  Conclusion, Wii and Wii U were mobile devices! 

I wish I would have known that sooner, I could have taken my Wii on long road trips.  

"Modern home console". Did you miss that part?
Wii and WiiU aren't what I would class as "Modern" considering they released in 2006 and 2012 respectively and were designed around even older more archaic hardware, neither have been in production for years.

But if you think 10-15 year old devices are "modern" in the tech world... You may need to sit down as I have something to tell you. :P

The point you are (intentionally) missing is nintendo has never put a LAN port on any of their home consoles, as in never. So using LAN port inclusion to determine if Nintendo hardware is a home console is really,  really, really silly. 

And the 10 to 15 year old argument is (at best) strawman.  If you think LAN ports didn't exist 10 to 15 years ago and some how represent modern technology, take a seat because I have something to tell you.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 22 March 2021

Around the Network

Wii required a sensor bar to use the remote. Didn't have many of the features of 360 and PS3 either.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Chrkeller said:

The point you are (intentionally) missing is nintendo has never put a LAN port on any of their home consoles, as in never. So using LAN port inclusion to determine if Nintendo hardware is a home console is really,  really, really silly. 

And the 10 to 15 year old argument is (at best) strawman.  If you think LAN ports didn't exist 10 to 15 years ago and some how represent modern technology, take a seat because I have something to tell you.  

You need to go back and re-read my post in it's intended context, within it's entirety.

I said "Modern Console". Turning it into whatever argument you are trying to put forth currently is just twisting the narrative to suit your own agenda.

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

You need to go back and re-read my post in it's intended context, within it's entirety.

I said "Modern Console". Turning it into whatever argument you are trying to put forth currently is just twisting the narrative to suit your own agenda.

I'm not the one with the agenda and I have read your posts.  Your posts can be boiled down to you not liking the design choices that Nintendo made, thus it cannot be a hybrid because reasons.  The reality is life doesn't work that way.  You can not like the Switch all day long, but that doesn't change the function of the Switch.  

Out of the box it functions as both a home and portable console.  For God's sake the name of the console is literally "Switch" meaning it can do both home and portable.  Their entire marketing campaign is designed around this dual functionality.  And let us not forget prior to the launch of the Switch, Nintendo (as a business decision) literally combined their home and mobile divisions under one reporting structure...  but the Switch isn't a hybrid because it isn't what you would have done...  really?  

Look you have made it clear, it isn't the hybrid you wanted, but that doesn't mean it isn't a hybrid.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 22 March 2021

Chrkeller said:

Well, Gamecube had Lan ability and Nintendo officially supported it in 3 Gamecube games. 1080, Mario Kart, and Kirby Air Ride. There has never been a Nintendo console that was not online. Famicom was online, Had DLC as well. Same with Super Famicom. Like SEGA Channel. Satellaview is a precursor to Cloud gaming. N64 had DLC for Mario Artist. Gamecube had Lan. You are right about Wii. It only had it through 3rd party accessories. I mostly agree with you in your posts tho.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

And even with the GameCube I think lan was via separately accessory. But it was official. It connected on the bottom did it not?