By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Octopath Traveler coming to Xbox

Being listed as PC & Console this means end to its Nintendo Switch console exclusivity..... Assuming a typo isn't at fault.

Around the Network

It's a great game. I rather own it physically on Switch but at least people get to experience it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Gamepass continues to be fap worthy

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Mar1217 said:

Well most of it's active life has already been done on Switch/PC. No problem here to get some interested Xbox players into the party. Though it seems to me Square Enix received a good check from Microsoft to make the port happen. Also, this could mean the game might come to the PS4/PS5 sooner or later now.

Why do you think Microsoft put a check? 

Glad more people can play it now. The same could happen with other SE Switch exclusives, like Bravely Default II (and the entire series, for that matter) and the future Triangle Strategy. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Metallox said:
Mar1217 said:

Well most of it's active life has already been done on Switch/PC. No problem here to get some interested Xbox players into the party. Though it seems to me Square Enix received a good check from Microsoft to make the port happen. Also, this could mean the game might come to the PS4/PS5 sooner or later now.

Glad more people can play it now. The same could happen with other SE Switch exclusives, like Bravely Default II (and the entire series, for that matter) and the future Triangle Strategy. 

It seems Nintendo does seem to be doing Switch/PC exclusivity deals (Monster Hunter Stories & Rise for example), so it could just be that the duration ended. But the fact its being announce via gamepass with no current Playstation version lends itself to MS paying putting a check in. Either that or they just jumped the gun and it'll be announced for Playstaion in the coming days.

Mar1217 said:
Metallox said:

Because the devs/publishers aren't the ones paying to get their games onto Gamepass. Also, we know by demographic,tendancies and sales statistics that JRPGs are more popular and viable on Sony's platform than Microsoft which is why seeing a port of Octopath Traveler on Xbox first before the PS4/PS5 definitely make it hugely possible that Microsoft had their money involved into this.

Anywoo, the same will happen to other SE Switch exclusives in a matter of time after the exclusive deal has waved out. Though can't say if it'll be only on PC or every console thus far since we only have Octopath Traveler for example here.

I mean, both the individual Xbox release and the PlayStation versions could be announced in the coming hours. Hard to say, though. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
Mar1217 said:

I mean, they might have not paid for exclusivity but they obviously paid to have it on GP day one. I have been saying for the longest time that Square Enix is playing 3D chess with them all, taking money from either Sony or Nintendo for timed exclusivity and then taking money from MS for GP. I think it is highly possible that FFVIIR will come out day one on GP in a few months.

Eh, I don't think MS shelled out for this otherwise it would be a physical version as well. A lot of these Japanese games are just Gamepass only. They don't have the confidence to fully commit. Like some Digital/cloud-only versions of some games on Switch. Look at Yakuza. The only one to get a physical edition is the one MS paid for some exclusivity. The rest are Gamepass only. PS4 remains the only place where all those games are physical.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Will definitely give it a go on game pass.