By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Octopath Traveler coming to Xbox

Mar1217 said:
Leynos said:

Eh, I don't think MS shelled out for this otherwise it would be a physical version as well. A lot of these Japanese games are just Gamepass only. They don't have the confidence to fully commit. Like some Digital/cloud-only versions of some games on Switch. Look at Yakuza. The only one to get a physical edition is the one MS paid for some exclusivity. The rest are Gamepass only. PS4 remains the only place where all those games are physical.

Yakuza Like-a-Dragon was a pretty recent release they heavily advertised when the Series X was about to be released while Octopath Traveler is a 3 year-old game that already saw it's prime on Switch and PC a bit later. Why would they bother to make a physical version of the game knowing it's sales potential would be excruatingly low against a Gamepass release.

A lot of older games get physical releases on modern systems.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Leynos said:

Cite me which one got them on Xbox, I'm curious.

That's what I am saying. Japan is not fully committed to Xbox. They will release older titles on disc or cart for PS/Switch but not Xbox. Similar to how some games only release digitally on Switch. Mainly western stuff.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Nice going to split my time between Yakuza 6 and Octopath Traveler on the 25th then.

Mar1217 said:
Leynos said:

Cite me which one got them on Xbox, I'm curious.

Dragon Quest 11 S. Came out in 2018 in the West on PS4/PC. In 2019 the enhanced S version came out on Switch. Last year (2020) PC/PS4/Xbox One got the S version where PC/Xbox One had it on Gamepass day 1, and had a physical release.

Leynos said:

Eh, I don't think MS shelled out for this otherwise it would be a physical version as well. A lot of these Japanese games are just Gamepass only. They don't have the confidence to fully commit. Like some Digital/cloud-only versions of some games on Switch. Look at Yakuza. The only one to get a physical edition is the one MS paid for some exclusivity. The rest are Gamepass only. PS4 remains the only place where all those games are physical.

GamePass deals are definitely not free though and it is a known fact. In order to even put the game on GamePass, Microsoft has to pay a certain sum to the publisher. And here we are talking about the game available there from day one. I do kinda agree though that this deal is cheap as hell, because Octopath is a 3-year old game and it's not like it will sell a lot on Xbox anyway. And I fully expect Playstation version to be announced as well given that this game released even on dead Stadia already.

Around the Network

Octopath Traveler is a great game. I regret selling mine off. I am going to buy it again at some point.

I'm surprised this showed up on Gamepass before Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XIII.