By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Octopath Traveler coming to Xbox

Metallox said:
Mar1217 said:

Well most of it's active life has already been done on Switch/PC. No problem here to get some interested Xbox players into the party. Though it seems to me Square Enix received a good check from Microsoft to make the port happen. Also, this could mean the game might come to the PS4/PS5 sooner or later now.

Why do you think Microsoft put a check? 

Glad more people can play it now. The same could happen with other SE Switch exclusives, like Bravely Default II (and the entire series, for that matter) and the future Triangle Strategy. 

I mean, they might have not paid for exclusivity but they obviously paid to have it on GP day one. I have been saying for the longest time that Square Enix is playing 3D chess with them all, taking money from either Sony or Nintendo for timed exclusivity and then taking money from MS for GP. I think it is highly possible that FFVIIR will come out day one on GP in a few months.

Around the Network

Eh, I don't think MS shelled out for this otherwise it would be a physical version as well. A lot of these Japanese games are just Gamepass only. They don't have the confidence to fully commit. Like some Digital/cloud-only versions of some games on Switch. Look at Yakuza. The only one to get a physical edition is the one MS paid for some exclusivity. The rest are Gamepass only. PS4 remains the only place where all those games are physical.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Eh, I don't think MS shelled out for this otherwise it would be a physical version as well. A lot of these Japanese games are just Gamepass only. They don't have the confidence to fully commit. Like some Digital/cloud-only versions of some games on Switch. Look at Yakuza. The only one to get a physical edition is the one MS paid for some exclusivity. The rest are Gamepass only. PS4 remains the only place where all those games are physical.

Yakuza Like-a-Dragon was a pretty recent release they heavily advertised when the Series X was about to be released while Octopath Traveler is a 3 year-old game that already saw it's prime on Switch and PC a bit later. Why would they bother to make a physical version of the game knowing it's sales potential would be excruatingly low against a Gamepass release.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Will definitely give it a go on game pass.

Mar1217 said:
Leynos said:

Yakuza Like-a-Dragon was a pretty recent release they heavily advertised when the Series X was about to be released while Octopath Traveler is a 3 year-old game that already saw it's prime on Switch and PC a bit later. Why would they bother to make a physical version of the game knowing it's sales potential would be excruatingly low against a Gamepass release.

A lot of older games get physical releases on modern systems.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Mar1217 said:

Cite me which one got them on Xbox, I'm curious.

Mar1217 said:
Leynos said:

That's what I am saying. Japan is not fully committed to Xbox. They will release older titles on disc or cart for PS/Switch but not Xbox. Similar to how some games only release digitally on Switch. Mainly western stuff.

Nice going to split my time between Yakuza 6 and Octopath Traveler on the 25th then.

Mar1217 said:
Leynos said:

Dragon Quest 11 S. Came out in 2018 in the West on PS4/PC. In 2019 the enhanced S version came out on Switch. Last year (2020) PC/PS4/Xbox One got the S version where PC/Xbox One had it on Gamepass day 1, and had a physical release.

Leynos said:
Mar1217 said:

That's what I am saying. Japan is not fully committed to Xbox. They will release older titles on disc or cart for PS/Switch but not Xbox. Similar to how some games only release digitally on Switch. Mainly western stuff.

And whislt I fully agree with what you're saying here. This doesn't undermine my hypothesis from earlier.

Especially, if a PS4/PS5 port isn't announced in the upcoming weeks demonstrating it wasn't just a matter of half-commitment to other modern platforms.