By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS2 is the greatest game system ever made because it's games are so cheap, yet so good!

So, I've been trying to finish up my Sega Genesis collection for a while now. I have about 33 games to go. Lots of CIB Genesis games are $100 or more. When I'm done with my Genesis collection over 1/4th of the library will be games costing over $100. Anyway, I went to my cousin's house the other day to play Silent Hill 2 with him. He had Silent Hill 3 CIB, and I suddenly realized I didn't have it in my PS2 collection. I looked it up, and it's worth an eye-watering $130. This reminded me that I still had a few undiscovered PS2 games to add to my collection. So this morning I decided to go through metacritic looking for good PS2 games that I don't yet have, and add them to my wishlist on https://www.pricecharting.com/ I haven't bought a PS2 game in five years. I knew they used to be pretty cheap, but assumed the prices for them went up along with the rest of the used games market. Nope. Most PS2 games are still pretty damned cheap, even for CIB. I'm talking Vectorman 2 or Sonic 2 cheap. And to be honest, after being knee deep in Genesis collecting for the past 12 months, it's just a breath of fresh air!
I mean for real. Anybody that has kids and is struggling to keep them entertained during this pandemic, get yourself a PS2! Games can still be had for $10 to $15. And I'm not talking about A FEW games. I mean the vast majority of the PS2 library is still dirt cheap.
Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 06 March 2021

Around the Network

One of the greatest for sure.

There's no denying its the GOAT

My first Playstation system...and my least favorite of the 2,3,4...too early to say on PS5 of course. It was a great system, but I played most of my games on the Gamecube that generation. I enjoyed playing more PS1 games backwards compatible than the actual PS2 games. Games like Final Fantasy X disappointed me at the time, although I enjoyed it when I played it years later on the PS4. The Grand Theft Auto, God of War, and Persona games were my favorites.

I just paid $50 for Zelda Spirit Tracks on the DS. Cartridge only. Cheap older games are a blessing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Started using Price Charting not too long ago.

Crazy to see the value of certain games skyrocket over the years, including ones you bought for MSRP or cheaper, as well as games that were once common as dirt *stares at Pokemon Black/White 2*

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

PC is the greatest game system ever made because its games are so cheap, yet so good!

Thousands of games of the PS1 - PS3 era for $1 - $5 on GOG, Steam; crazy sales for a few cents.

Humble bundles, Fanatical bundles, IndieGala bundles, Itch.io bundles, monthly Amazon Prime and Humble Choice games...

Weekly free games in the Epic Games Store, sometimes free games on Steam or EA Origin or the UbiStore.

Playing many older games in much higher resolutions, with better textures and maxed out effects and/or higher fps without paying again for lazy remasters.

Last edited by Conina - on 06 March 2021

Signalstar said:

I just paid $50 for Zelda Spirit Tracks on the DS. Cartridge only. Cheap older games are a blessing.

Well it's only $60 for the CIB version. You can thank Gamestop for tossing out DS cases for the rise in DS game prices. Those should all be just as cheap as PS2, since DS sold about as many units as PS2.

Conina said:

PC is the greatest game system ever made because its games are so cheap, yet so good!

Thousands of games of the PS1 - PS3 era for $1 - $5 on GOG, Steam; crazy sales for a few cents.

Humble bundles, Fanatical bundles, IndieGala bundles, Itch.io bundles, monthly Amazon Prime and Humble Choice games...

Weekly free games in the Epic Games Store, sometimes free games on Steam or EA Origin or the UbiStore.

Playing many older games in much higher resolutions, with better textures and maxed out effects and/or higher fps without paying again for lazy remasters.

You are missing the point of this thread. From a collector's standpoint physical PS2 games are cheap and easy to get. Other retro systems can get expensive tracking down physical games. I'm celebrating how affordable CIB physical PS2 games are.

PC doesn't apply to this thread because of the non-physicality of PC games.

Unless of course you want to show me that good CIB PC games from 2010 and earlier can be found for cheap, with working product keys. But I'm sure your definition of good and my definition of good are two different things.

You didn't want to discuss anything in this thread anyway. You just wanted to come in and regurgitate some tired old PC Master Race talking points. Nevermind that I have a kickass rig myself, and you are basically preaching to the choir here. I'm PC/Switch only this gen.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 06 March 2021

Ultrashroomz said:

Started using Price Charting not too long ago.

Crazy to see the value of certain games skyrocket over the years, including ones you bought for MSRP or cheaper, as well as games that were once common as dirt *stares at Pokemon Black/White 2*

Yeah Black/White 2 shouldn't be so pricey. Reminds me of Splatterhouse 2 on the Genesis. A fairly common game that still commands insanely high prices.

PS2 is amazing. Mom's boyfriend still have one and it's on mom's house now. I'm currently playing KH on PS4, but maybe original game is the way to go