By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U system updated: get your maximum stability, folks!

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/56457/wii-u-system-update-released-yes-in-2021

Two and a half years after the last update, and with basically zero releases since, we get this. I was bemused enough to share. Did ANYONE notice? As for why, it's unclear, but the article does say:

... the patch comes only four weeks before the day of reckoning where several of their limited-edition games will be delisted from the Switch eShop. Alongside the removal of these titles, the online features for the Wii U version of Super Mario Maker will be reduced on the same day, permanently disabling the ability for players to upload new levels to the game's online collection.

Around the Network

No, I did not, and I usually run my TV Netflix on it. Got to take another look.

It's alive!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I still have it hooked up, so I guess I'll update.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I just unhooked mine a few weeks ago...but now I feel like I want to hook it back up just to install this lol

Around the Network

At this point I'm pretty sure it was just to stop hacking and/or piracy.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

List of changes and/or fixes?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

List of changes and/or fixes?

This is Nintendo. "Additional stability, subject concluded."

Darwinianevolution said:

At this point I'm pretty sure it was just to stop hacking and/or piracy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they locked down some software modules that were left open for future updates just to make it harder to mod the OS.  Of course, most people who mod the U already have backups of older versions of the OS and have been using them for sometime.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they also did some pre-emptive patching to maintain stability for gamers who will be playing SMM, etc offline.  I could see how the servers shutting down could cause some stability issues for those games.  I wouldn't be surprised if the individual games also get patched when the servers do finally go offline.

Surprised there's a new update. This will probably be the last one.

I actually want to hook up my Wii U again, but who knows when I will.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima