By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite Super Mario Bros. game?

What's your favorite Super Mario Bros. game?

Super Mario Bros. 51 7.14%

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels 4 0.56%

Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) 16 2.24%

Super Mario Bros. 3 197 27.59%

Super Mario World 297 41.60%

New Super Mario Bros. 42 5.88%

New Super Mario Bros. Wii 41 5.74%

New Super Mario Bros. 2 7 0.98%

New Super Mario Bros. U 42 5.88%

New Super Luigi U 17 2.38%

Total:714

I’ve only played Super Mario World, so I guess my vote is Super Mario World.

Around the Network

SMW followed by SMB3

Best: Super Mario World. Also the greatest of any Mario game.
Worst: Any Mario game with New in the title.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Rol goes through all the trouble to set up the poll, and then some clown spits on that work by picking New Super Mario Bros. 2. Some people have zero shame...

Anyways, I voted for SMB3, for the many reasons already shared. My runner ups were the console New SMB games, both of which were pretty good. I actually liked New Super Luigi U as well, but it felt too different to really make the Top 5. Still better than the handheld games, though.

Super Mario World. I mostly played it on GBA as Super Mario Advance 2. GBA was my first handheld.

Bonus: Whatever it is, I don't want another New Super Mario Bros. They're too stale now.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Super Mario World is my favourite.

Here is a controversial opinion:
NSMBWii, NSMBU, and NSLU are tied for second place.

The others to me just don't come close.

1doesnotsimply

Mario Bros 3. Where Nintendo really got the hand of giving each level its own gimmick and identity. The amount of variety they squeezed into a game with such limited mechanics is pretty astounding. 

noname2200 said:

Rol goes through all the trouble to set up the poll, and then some clown spits on that work by picking New Super Mario Bros. 2. Some people have zero shame...

Anyways, I voted for SMB3, for the many reasons already shared. My runner ups were the console New SMB games, both of which were pretty good. I actually liked New Super Luigi U as well, but it felt too different to really make the Top 5. Still better than the handheld games, though.

I'm more concerned with the masochist who chose lost levels. NSMB2 wasn't inspired but at least it didn't actively try to punish you for playing it. And coin rush was pretty fun. Although why they decided to make coins the focus of the game and then not give you anything to do with all of the coins you collect is a mystery that I will never solve. 

The best game is obviously Super Mario World, but my personal favorite is New Super Mario Bros 2. While the whole coin collecting gimmick is ultimately pointless, is does add a certain level of charm and uniqueness that makes me like it more than all others.

Super Mario 3 by a mile.  If platformers were my favorite genre, then I would say it's the best game ever made.  It's definitely the best platformer ever made.  They packed so much game into that game.  It feels like there are secrets to find everywhere.  My #2 would be NSMB Wii because of the 4-player.  After that would probably be Mario 2 (USA).  Mario World was definitely a fun game too, but also a little disappointing.  They made it too easy.  Yoshi was a cool addition though.  Also I might put Super Mario 35 somewhere into my top 3, because that is also a great game, but might not be around much longer.

Bonus:  Mostly I want a 2D Mario game with the same basic mechanics, some new types of power ups, but especially a bunch of new types of worlds.  Maybe Mario has to invade Bowser's Kingdom or something and then there are 8 worlds there to explore.  Or maybe it's some completely new type of world.  The truth is that the last few 3D Mario games have had lots of great world ideas.  I want to see this level of creativity applied to 2D Mario.

SMB3 is still my favorite video game ever. It had solid levels, a ton of variety in the environments and power-ups, and basically took everything great about the original and improved and expanded upon it significantly.

SMW is the runner-up to me, as though it also has great level design as well as a lot of secrets to explore and the ability to replay finished levels, it also has less variety than SMB3 with its environments and power-ups, and it feels easier in general, mainly because the cape spin attack is ridiculously OP and the game is even more generous with 1-Ups than SMB3 (which itself was way more generous than the original).

After that, I rank them as follows:

SMB
SMB2
NSMBU
NSMBWii

All of those games are in my all-time Top 50. I never played the original NSMB or New Super Luigi and only played through part of NSMB2, so I can't rank them.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").