By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Whatchu Watchin?

Shadow1980 said:

Just started watching Cobra Kai a couple of days ago. Two episodes in so far, and I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Yeah this show was recommended to me by quite a few of my family and friends. And have been sitting on it for a while, because though I liked Karate Kid when I was younger; I wasn't too keen to watch a show on it. However, I'm glad I did as after watching a few and then the whole thing (thus far) it went to meh I might give it a watch, to of my favourite (recent) shows lol.

Just binged through all three seasons. And it gets much better with the choreography and fighting than the first few eps. Can't wait for the 4th Season now lol.

Last edited by hinch - on 01 June 2021

Around the Network

Finished Dragon Ball and have moved on to Dragon Ball Z now. I just have to say, moving from the old Dragon Ball dvd set to the Dragon Ball Z remastered blu-rays has blown me away. Even beyond the visual quality, they also have 3 separate audio tracks (2 English dubs and the original Japanese) and a marathon mode option. Haven't gotten to the extras yet, but so far a lovely collection.

Watched Kingom of Heaven Director's Cut. Really beautiful movie with great peformances from an all-star cast and some amazing battle scenes. I never saw the theatrical cut so I can't compare it. I was concerned 3 hours would begin to feel too long, but it never did; never felt like any part was stretched out or unecessary. Unfortunate it couldn't just be released this way to begin with. Given recent international events, also a very timely watch.

Re-watching RahXephon. Been a few years now and decided to try the English dub for the first time. It's not too bad. Somewhat of an overlooked gem, as it suffered from too many comparisons to Neon Genesis Evangelion, but it really does more than enough to stand out by it's own merits.

Invincible: I like subversive, deconstructive stuff and this fits the bill nicely. Good characters, actors, action, and humor. Surprisingly heavy at times. Glad it's been picked up for more seasons.

Shadow and Bone: I've heard this described as all foreplay and no finish and that has some merit but it's still enjoyable enough. The romances are corny but the world and some of its characters are cool. Love a good band of rogues, like how the mages act like benders and I particularly appreciate fantasy that moves beyond the typical medieval trappings. I'd watch more if we get more. EDIT: Season 2 announced within hours of this post, lol.

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 07 June 2021

Finally got around to checking out Tremors; it's one of those films I somehow missed growing up despite everyone else apparently having seen it.

I liked that it had no pretenses, that it was an out-and-proud B movie and completely committed to that instead of trying to be more than it was, taking itself too seriously, or worse, attempting the cringe worthy path of intentional badness. A fun romp.

Made the mistake of checking out Season 7 of Skins; holy crap that's some of the most miserable, depressing television I've ever watched. It's like, oh hey, you know those characters you liked? Well let's watch 6 episodes of nothing but them suffering, with no point or payoff.

I mean, I know life isn't all rainbows and unicorns and the series has always reflected that, but this is just so deliberating bleak and nihilistic that there's just no enjoyment to be gained from it whatsoever. I wish the series had just ended at season 6, or maybe even after 4.

Around the Network

Had something of a scifi animation week.

Next Gen: Just started learning Blender and wanted to see how it does with an entire feature film. Both the visuals and the storytelling are a pretty mixed bag. Some elements look top of the line, others are subpar. Some moments made me roll my eyes, but others were genuinely funny or touching. In any case, it's very impressive that 99% of this film was made in a single, free program that we all have access to and has only gotten better since. Very motivating.

The Mitchells vs. The Machines: Solid movie all around with a particularly interesting sense of humor. The art style at times is genuinely dazzling and you can feel some of that Spider-verse DNA.

Love + Death + Robots S2: More of that good, adult animation that made S1 so refreshing. Pop Squad, Snow in the Desert, and The Drowned Giant were highlights for me. Also amazing how photoreal Life Hutch looks at times.

Loki, it’s pretty good.

Doom Patrol. Really digging how quirky and depressing the show is at the same time

TallSilhouette said:

Had something of a scifi animation week.

Next Gen: Just started learning Blender and wanted to see how it does with an entire feature film. Both the visuals and the storytelling are a pretty mixed bag. Some elements look top of the line, others are subpar. Some moments made me roll my eyes, but others were genuinely funny or touching. In any case, it's very impressive that 99% of this film was made in a single, free program that we all have access to and has only gotten better since. Very motivating.

The Mitchells vs. The Machines: Solid movie all around with a particularly interesting sense of humor. The art style at times is genuinely dazzling and you can feel some of that Spider-verse DNA.

Love + Death + Robots S2: More of that good, adult animation that made S1 so refreshing. Pop Squad, Snow in the Desert, and The Drowned Giant were highlights for me. Also amazing how photoreal Life Hutch looks at times.

On the last few episodes on Love Death and Robots (S1) and its pretty good. Love that each one has a small self contained story, easy to watch and some dark humour to boot. Is the second season as good as the first?

Also half way through Expanse (S1) and am enjoying it. Not usually into sci-fi shows, though this one is more grounded and really well done.

hinch said:

On the last few episodes on Love Death and Robots (S1) and its pretty good. Love that each one has a small self contained story, easy to watch and some dark humour to boot. Is the second season as good as the first?

Also half way through Expanse (S1) and am enjoying it. Not usually into sci-fi shows, though this one is more grounded and really well done.

I'd say it's pretty similar in quality to the first.

Been meaning to watch The Expanse some time. Heard great things.