By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Well, looks like next gen didn't kill Switch third party support

For years, it seemed a common claim that once the new consoles released, third party support for Switch would quickly vanish.

Well, PS5 and Xbox Series are out, yet the Switch is looking to have perhaps it's best year to date in terms of third party software. Here's just some of what's been confirmed so far, and it's only February:

- Monster Hunter Rise

- Bravely Default II

- Fall Guys

- Crash Bandicoot 4

- Tony Hawk 1 + 2 Remake

- Monster Hunter Stories 2

- Samurai Warriors 5

- No More Heroes 3

- Subnautica

- Subnautica: Below Zero

- Rune Factory 5

- Ghosts 'n' Goblins Resurrection

- Outer Wilds

- Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighbourville

- Apex Legends

No doubt there's plenty more yet to be revealed, as the window from announcement to release tends to be relatively short these days. 

Looks like this is one unpleasant forecast we can put behind us.

EDIT: Whoops, meant to post this in the Nintendo section, if any mods are reading this, could it please be relocated? Thanks and sorry.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 February 2021

Around the Network

People always forget the cross gen period. By the time next gen only games kick into proper gear, the switch 2 will be out with more powerful and modern hardware which should continue the third party games support. Especially now that a console like the Series S exists and Nvidia having a technology like DLSS up their sleeve.

It's just a matter of whether or not Nintendo will make an odd decision but I remain hopeful.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The new systems have been out for 3 months.

Maybe give this some time before calling off anything related to this.

Nintendo has something like 90% of the Japanese console market. Japanese 3rd parties are going to make sure they get their games on Switch one way or another.

Hynad said:

That's the thing though, those forecasting doom never claimed that "support will gradually shift away over the following years" or anything of that nature.

It was always essentially "when PS5/Nextbox release, third party support will vanish/drop off a cliff."

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

That's the thing though, the doomers never claimed that "support will gradually shift away over the following years" or anything of that nature.

It was always essentially "when PS5/Nextbox release, third party support will vanish/drop off a cliff."

It's link time curl

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
curl-6 said:

That's the thing though, the doomers never claimed that "support will gradually shift away over the following years" or anything of that nature.

It's link time curl

Not having planned this thread years in advance I didn't have the foresight to have bookmarked them at the time, but it was a very common sentiment across many gaming forums including here, sometimes accompanied by the caveat "unless they release a successor/Switch Pro soon after". That was often the context in which it was used; justifying why Nintendo "needed" a Switch Pro or successor in 2021.

Part of the reason for that is that for one reason or another Japanese developers are getting their games released later into the platform's life. We still don't have games like Rune Factory, Etrian Odyssey, a brand new Monster Hunter, a brand new Resident Evil, or a brand new No More Heroes (well ok we *kind of* did but you know), whereas all of those would be delivered already on the Wii and DS/3DS.

Honestly, if the quality is there, it might end up being for the better than we get less new entries in a series for the sake of one better new game (though that's kind of a pointless hypothetical I suppose).

curl-6 said:
mjk45 said:

It's link time curl

Not having planned this thread years in advance I didn't have the foresight to have bookmarked them at the time, but it was a very common sentiment across many gaming forums including here, sometimes accompanied by the caveat "unless they release a successor/Switch Pro soon after". That was often the context in which it was used; justifying why Nintendo "needed" a Switch Pro or successor in 2021.

From here to eternity you will see negative conjecture with little substance attached, it is far better to skip it and look at those that at least show some merit,no matter if they end up right or wrong , skipping the former the later ones I recall talking about once games start to be made from the ground up for those consoles we would start seeing an ever widening gap making it harder to port.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 26 February 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
curl-6 said:

From here to eternity you will see negative conjecture with little substance attached, it is far better to skip it and look at those that at least show some merit,no matter if they end up right or wrong , skipping the former the later ones I recall talking about once games start to be made from the ground up for those consoles we would start seeing an ever widening gap making it harder to port.

It's entirely true that games made from the ground up for PS5/Xbox Series most likely won't be coming to Switch. It's just that, as we're seeing, this doesn't mean the end of third party support as there's still indies, Japanese games, and titles from the PS4/Xbone back catalog. I meant this thread to be a positive one, basically "look, predicted bad things didn't happen, we're good".