By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 31-Feb 6 - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Increase

Switch still dipping down, and it might go lower than it otherwise would have in the weeks to come, as Nintendo stumbled with their latest Direct by taking focus off of the Winter quarter.  Capping it off with a hand tip for an unremarkable game 1-2 years away was like shooting themselves in the foot. The thing is, the next couple of months are strong, Nintendo just really sold it poorly by pushing this Direct out. Probably the first thing they’ve done I really disagree with this generation.

IMO, their newsletters are still fairly strong, as are their eShop and news channel promos. But I feel this Direct just ate all the focus.

Who knows, maybe it won’t have a severe impact?

Last edited by Jumpin - on 18 February 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Switch outperformed my expectations by about 10,000, thanks to the America’s it seems. Next week will be higher, as demonstrated by the Famistu numbers being nearly 30,000 higher, and 3D Mario’s do well in the West in general. I’ll say about 400k for next week

Jumpin said:

Switch still dipping down, and it might go lower than it otherwise would have in the weeks to come, as Nintendo stumbled with their latest Direct by taking focus off of the Winter quarter.  Capping it off with a hand tip for an unremarkable game 1-2 years away was like shooting themselves in the foot. The thing is, the next couple of months are strong, Nintendo just really sold it poorly by pushing this Direct out. Probably the first thing they’ve done I really disagree with this generation.

IMO, their newsletters are still fairly strong, as are their eShop and news channel promos. But I feel this Direct just ate all the focus.

The switch is not down because of the awful direct. It's because is supply-constrained in the US, Japan, and Spain(the standard SKU).

Worst direct ever, Wiiu-level.

Winner Nintendo seems lazy Nintendo.

Jumpin said:

They sold 28 millions consoles last year without a direct, i don't feel like a average direct will make the sales dip. Imo they will have a big direct with Botw, revision and metroid sometimes this year. There is literally no competition right now anyway. No big games releasing exclusively on PS5/XS until like June and they are also nowhere to be found.

Also big gains for the XS when compared to the X1, about 50K if I'm not mistaken. PS5 also made around a 20K gain on the PS4. Though the 5 will lose ground to the 4 overall in another week or two due to the Japanese launch.

Last edited by badskywalker - on 18 February 2021

Around the Network

Switch sales are dipping each week so far this year, but it should pick up a bit with 3D World. Yeah, the Direct didn't show a lot of remarkable stuff, but we got very little post-Animal Crossing in 2020 and sales were high. Of course, things are different now, but I feel like the Switch will still be fine. Not as high as 2020, but still good. I imagine Switch sales in 2021 will end higher than 2019. We have at least 1 notable thing each month on Switch going up to July so far.

xMetroid said:
Jumpin said:

They sold 28 millions consoles last year without a direct, i don't feel like a average direct will make the sales dip. Imo they will have a big direct with Botw, revision and metroid sometimes this year. There is literally no competition right now anyway. No big games releasing exclusively on PS5/XS until like June and they are also nowhere to be found.

the new gen has in the worst suit either. Maybe a launch in mid-year/21 is a better scenario?

Switch is getting very close to the PSP and GBA.

PS4 hits 115 million. Xbox One is so close to 50 million now. They both sold almost identical amounts in North America, for the week though. My guess is that it's easier to find an Xbox One right now than a PS4. I know PS4 isn't that in demand any more, but it is more dominant in America. Even then, PS4's lifetime sales in North America haven't been too much higher in North America than the Xbox One.

As shortages continue, PS5 and Xbox Series S/X will continue to trail behind Switch.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

First year for the new gen looks like it'll be similar to Switch's first year sales wise, trailing behind the established market leader and stricken by supply issues.
Still confident in my bet though, they'll pick up once games and stock arrive.

Switch still on top!

Pocky Lover Boy!