By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 31-Feb 6 - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Increase

Jumpin said:
xMetroid said:

They sold 28 millions consoles last year without a direct, i don't feel like a average direct will make the sales dip. Imo they will have a big direct with Botw, revision and metroid sometimes this year. There is literally no competition right now anyway. No big games releasing only on PS5/XS until like June and they are also nowhere to be found.

What you mean is they didn't have a big unfocused Direct that focused on some game not coming out for potentially years. But they had almost 20 Directs last year. Better Directs that were much more focused in theme and on a relavent timeframe. Nintendo also had strong promotion through social media, newsletters, the Switch news channel, and EShop promotions/sales. 2020 was perhaps the most solid marketing they've done outside of the launch of the Switch and the early Wii and DS Lite years.

The issue with these large and unfocused Directs is they don't seem to do anything except confuse and disappoint people. What was the point of overloading people with all these uninformative and forgettable clips of games and then honing the whole thing in on some unremarkable-looking Splatoon game that's not even coming out for 11-23 months?

I don't know how much of an impact a Direct has on sales, but this one had a negative response. So it might be a lot better if Directs like this have no impact on sales. They oversold stuff coming out in 1-2 years, and because of this they undersold the stuff that's just around the corner. Those games might have looked a lot more appealing if they broke them up into 3-4 smaller, better themed, more digestible Directs.

For the record, I hate making whiny sounding posts like this to try to get a marketing point across =)

Other than the Mario direct, the partners have been by far the worst received directs and everyone hated them. My point still stands

Around the Network
xMetroid said:

They sold 28 millions consoles last year without a direct

xMetroid said:

Other than the Mario direct, the partners have been by far the worst received directs and everyone hated them. My point still stands

Considering it's factually incorrect, I regret to inform you it really doesn't.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Interesting data.

Last edited by Elputoxd - on 19 February 2021

Xbox Series sales seems very low in Europe, despite the Series S being available.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

ZOMFG! 3DS 1k+666! The other consoles are D0M3D!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Xbox Series X and S vs Xbox One (launch aligned)

Week 1 - 1285k vs 1104k

Week 2 - 203k vs 454k

Week 3 - 200k vs 286k

Week 4 - 253k vs 375k

Week 5 - 283k vs 402k

Week 6 - 323k vs 295k

Week 7 - 290k vs 145k

Week 8 - 187k vs 79k

Week 9 - 105k vs 64k

Week 10 - 86k vs 61k

Week 11 - 94k vs 61k

Week 12 - 98k vs 64k (Series X and S surpass Xbox One) 

Week 13 - 103k vs 66k

Xbox One had higher sales at the beginning probably because of Series X and S' lower supply caused by Covid but, after the Holiday season, the Xbox One dropped off a cliff while the Series consoles have been selling much better. As of now, the Series X and S consoles are ahead of the Nintendo DS, the Xbox 360, the PS3, the PSP and the majority of consoles in history - including all previous Xbox consoles - but they are trailing behing 5 consoles: the Wii, the 3DS, the PS4, the Switch and the PS5.

Interested in seeing how the X and the S perform throughout the year. Cheers.

Jumpin said:
xMetroid said:

They sold 28 millions consoles last year without a direct

xMetroid said:

Considering it's factually incorrect, I regret to inform you it really doesn't.

They didn't have a proper direct last year... mini and partner aren't considered "real directs" as for everyone saying "i thought directs were dead". But anywayz

Jumpin said:
xMetroid said:

They sold 28 millions consoles last year without a direct, i don't feel like a average direct will make the sales dip. Imo they will have a big direct with Botw, revision and metroid sometimes this year. There is literally no competition right now anyway. No big games releasing only on PS5/XS until like June and they are also nowhere to be found.

What you mean is they didn't have a big unfocused Direct that focused on some game not coming out for potentially years. But they had almost 20 Directs last year. Better Directs that were much more focused in theme and on a relavent timeframe. Nintendo also had strong promotion through social media, newsletters, the Switch news channel, and EShop promotions/sales. 2020 was perhaps the most solid marketing they've done outside of the launch of the Switch and the early Wii and DS Lite years.

The issue with these large and unfocused Directs is they don't seem to do anything except confuse and disappoint people. What was the point of overloading people with all these uninformative and forgettable clips of games and then honing the whole thing in on some unremarkable-looking Splatoon game that's not even coming out for 11-23 months?

I don't know how much of an impact a Direct has on sales, but this one had a negative response. So it might be a lot better if Directs like this have no impact on sales. They oversold stuff coming out in 1-2 years, and because of this they undersold the stuff that's just around the corner. Those games might have looked a lot more appealing if they broke them up into 3-4 smaller, better themed, more digestible Directs.

For the record, I hate making whiny sounding posts like this to try to get a marketing point across =)

What are you talking about? There was like 2 games shown not coming in the next 6 months.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Good way to begin the month of February, can't wait to see how much the Switch can manage to up itself during this month since we all know all the end of March will play out ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison Charts Through February 6

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2018 – (Week ending January 13 to February 10)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to February 9)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to February 8)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to February 6)

"Year to date" sales for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2021 versus 2020 and 2021 versus 2019 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 99,387 (-46.5%)
  • Xbox Series X|S – n/a

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Up Year-on-Year 595,259 (42.6%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 71,206 (-91.1%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 409,442 (-56.3%)
  • PlayStation 5 – n/a

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.