By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Drifting issue in PS5 controllers

No stick issues so far. My DualSense's microphone seems to have issues and my Series controller's A button seems to like double pressing once in a while.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
LurkerJ said:

Were they ever reliable? Always a matter of time before they start pissing me off

My N64 controllers are still fine. PS1 and Saturn controllers are still fine. Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox & Gamecube all still just fine. 360,PS3,PSP,Wii ones are still fine. Vita 3DS, PS4, Wii U, Switch all fine.

I have never had analog sticks go bad on me. Never even had a controller die on me.

Same here never had a problem with my own controlers since N64, but i guess it's a combination of how the products came out of fabric, and also a lot of other factors including how you play with them, had some friends in high school that fucked up every controller relly bad:

- N64 analog sticks used so intensively they were totally loose, that they didn't even register movements.

-PS1/PS2 dual sticks from the dual shock stuck in position as if they were glued with something from behind, also the button from top of the analogs totally unpressable.

- Gamecube analogs destroyed in states similar to the N64 and PS ones previously described, i suppose from playing too much smash bros melee, but they were also capable of fucking up the gums?/plastic that are on top of the analogs as if they had been bitten or also completely removed, so when taking turns to play smash with that analogs felt like you were playing with a razor on your tumb, not as comonly but i also saw this done to a dualshock controller too.

Later i never saw/had problems with the analogs controls of any console, just the switch from some acquaintances that have the drift problem. 

My Dual Sense started drifting with Cyberpunk and still does. Tried resetting it and it hasn't worked. But it's not too bad as I can play without it affecting my gameplay. Gonna see how I get along as shipping cost to fit apparently isn't great.

No issues here! The Dual Sense is the probably the best controller from Sony in terms of build quality and feel in the hand. I cant imagine it having more issues than the PS4 controller...which really sucked in build quality. And PS3 and PS2 controllers had widescale drift issues from what I can remember...never became a issue worth talking about though.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

thismeintiel said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

They just don't make analogue sticks like they used to.

Yep.

No drift though.

Around the Network

The PS5 burnt my house down and the dualsense stole my car and entered it into a drift comp.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I've never had drifting issues on any controller either. D-pads, shoulder buttons, A buttons... With all of those and more I've had problems or known of someone who've had them at some point, but never with drifting sticks. In fact, getting to know that this is not something exclusive to the Joy-Cons and the DualSense feels almost like if I was living in a little bubble and then it just suddenly bursted.

foxmccloud64 said:

Same here never had a problem with my own controlers since N64, but i guess it's a combination of how the products came out of fabric, and also a lot of other factors including how you play with them, had some friends in high school that fucked up every controller relly bad:

- N64 analog sticks used so intensively they were totally loose, that they didn't even register movements.

-PS1/PS2 dual sticks from the dual shock stuck in position as if they were glued with something from behind, also the button from top of the analogs totally unpressable.

- Gamecube analogs destroyed in states similar to the N64 and PS ones previously described, i suppose from playing too much smash bros melee, but they were also capable of fucking up the gums?/plastic that are on top of the analogs as if they had been bitten or also completely removed, so when taking turns to play smash with that analogs felt like you were playing with a razor on your tumb, not as comonly but i also saw this done to a dualshock controller too.

Later i never saw/had problems with the analogs controls of any console, just the switch from some acquaintances that have the drift problem. 

Were you friends with the Hulk?

Last edited by Verter - on 11 February 2021

I'm mostly a lurker now.

BraLoD said:

Should be great on Gran Turismo 7.

It could be a boon, in my case a form of auto steer. Polyphony should label it a driving aid and great for drift comps, also imagine it in ridge racer.

But in the end the last word would belong to Nintendo.  "don't use an inferior copy play Mario Kart and experience real HD drift ".

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

BraLoD said:

Should be great on Gran Turismo 7.

Tokyo Drift game confirmed?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

method114 said:
VAMatt said:

There is no situation where a 1% defect rate that would create a warranty claim within 90 days of purchase of a mass produced product is acceptable.  That's about 10x what most companies consider acceptable (though the accepted level varies by product type).  

That being said, I seriously doubt that 1% of Dualsense controllers are having this problem this close to launch.  If so, that would be pointing to a disaster in the long term, as the controllers age.  

Also, it does not seem likely that there are anywhere close to 15mm Dualsense controllers in the wild at this point.  

Are you sure? I've always heard %4-5 as being acceptable when it comes to electronics. Do you have any sources?

I don't have any specific sources to link you to. My info comes from my understanding of manufacturing practices.  

When you hear talk of 4-5% being acceptable, that's generally something that doesn't impact the ability of the product to do its intended job.  So, on a video game controller, it might be something like the X graphic on the button is slightly misaligned.  Things like drifiting analog sticks essentially render the controller useless, and result in a return or a warranty claim.  For those kinds of things, you're generally looking for less than O.1% defect rate.  I manufacturing in general, the goal is typically <0.075%.

Note that I have not studied manufacturing of video game hardware in particular.  So, it is possible that a bit more than 0.1% is normal.  I see no chance that 1% is considered acceptable though. That would be hugely expensive, and expenses like that are not tolerated in modern manufacturing.