By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Drifting issue in PS5 controllers

Switch drift is terrible. I've lucked out, and my JoyCons haven't drifted yet. My DualShock 4 drifts a little. I hope Sony actually addresses this for the DualSense, instead of being in denial like Nintendo.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Only ever got stick drift once, on my first Xbox One controller. Thankfully so far no issues on my Switch Lite or Xbox Series X controller. I think I'm more than justified in my decision to wait on PS5 Slim by this point with all of the DualSense issues people have been reporting, I'll buy it when they shrink that massive behemoth and hopefully by then they'll have fixed their controller build quality issues.

Stop spreading FUD. There is no widespread Dual Sense issues. No more than there are Switch and Xbox issues. Microsoft and Nintendo have both been sued for analog drift. And they will probably continue to be sued in the future. It's just a part of mass production and the sue happy world we live in. Instead of contacting the Big 3 with the issue, and getting a replacement, people just want to sue.

There are already probably 15M+ Dual Sense's in the world, now. If even 1% of them are faulty, which is an incredibly acceptable rate, that's still 150K people who can complain online making it seem like a larger issue than it is. Hell, ~5% is an acceptable number, which would be 750K people.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 10 February 2021

Does R2 keep working though, the DS4 is terrible with that, my 5th controller finally survived GT Sport, the rest all don't go 100% throttle anymore.

PS2 controllers seemed to have been the most reliable for me (most used, no issues, still work). Dreamcast I didn't play enough but I've had issues with N64, GC, XBox 360, PS3, PS4, Wii, WiiU, only the Original XBox had no issues either. I don't remember any problems with original PS one controllers either.

Anyway, keyboards and mice aren't any better. Stuff doesn't last heavy use. Except my trusty Logitech Extreme 3D pro I got for FSX. Still works perfectly (knock on wood), been using it daily again since FS2020 came out.

I must have the shittiest luck of all time. So much in here saying they've never had analogue stick problems dating back to the n64. Unlike me in which every single console I have ever owned dating back to the n64(especially the n64) I have experienced problems with the analogue stick on at least one of my controllers

Learning from Nintendo I see.

But yeah seriously, no issues with mine.

Around the Network

I'm more worried about how the adaptive triggers hold up over the generation.

thismeintiel said:
shikamaru317 said:

Only ever got stick drift once, on my first Xbox One controller. Thankfully so far no issues on my Switch Lite or Xbox Series X controller. I think I'm more than justified in my decision to wait on PS5 Slim by this point with all of the DualSense issues people have been reporting, I'll buy it when they shrink that massive behemoth and hopefully by then they'll have fixed their controller build quality issues.

Stop spreading FUD. There is no widespread Dual Sense issues. No more than there are Switch and Xbox issues. Microsoft and Nintendo have both been sued for analog drift. And they will probably continue to be sued in the future. It's just a part of mass production and the sue happy world we live in. Instead of contacting the Big 3 with the issue, and getting a replacement, people just want to sue.

There are already probably 15M+ Dual Sense's in the world, now. If even 1% of them are faulty, which is an incredibly acceptable rate, that's still 150K people who can complain online making it seem like a larger issue than it is. Hell, ~5% is an acceptable number, which would be 750K people.

Gotta love it when people are this selective when it comes to issues of their favourite platform. Hope the springs in your special triggers don't break like so many others have bro.

thismeintiel said:

There is no situation where a 1% defect rate that would create a warranty claim within 90 days of purchase of a mass produced product is acceptable.  That's about 10x what most companies consider acceptable (though the accepted level varies by product type).  

That being said, I seriously doubt that 1% of Dualsense controllers are having this problem this close to launch.  If so, that would be pointing to a disaster in the long term, as the controllers age.  

Also, it does not seem likely that there are anywhere close to 15mm Dualsense controllers in the wild at this point.  

VAMatt said:
thismeintiel said:

There is no situation where a 1% defect rate that would create a warranty claim within 90 days of purchase of a mass produced product is acceptable.  That's about 10x what most companies consider acceptable (though the accepted level varies by product type).  

That being said, I seriously doubt that 1% of Dualsense controllers are having this problem this close to launch.  If so, that would be pointing to a disaster in the long term, as the controllers age.  

Also, it does not seem likely that there are anywhere close to 15mm Dualsense controllers in the wild at this point.  

Are you sure? I've always heard %4-5 as being acceptable when it comes to electronics. Do you have any sources?

thismeintiel said:
shikamaru317 said:

In what world does less than 5 million PS5 consoles on the market, does that equate to 15M+ Dual Senses being actively used?

And how come the whole "part of mass production" excuse was not present for the Switch?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261