By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Godzilla vs Kong

I like this one too:

Last edited by GoOnKid - on 28 January 2021

Around the Network

A very strange trailer. There will surely be more monsters

0Ethan said:

From the trailer, you can defintely see that this will be multiple encounters between Godzilla and Kong which is something I like.  Best of 3 matches to see who is king of the Monsters.  In certain terrain, I can see each one having an advantage so it really might come down to which environment is the final battle.

0Ethan said:

Mechagodzilla is essentially confirmed, plus we see Kong fighting two new creatures in the trailer, the flying serpents and bat-like creatures.

Action figure/toy leaks also suggest the Skull Crawler from Kong: Skull Island will make a return. So there will be plenty of kaiju to go around.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 February 2021

Just got home from seeing it at the cinema; (it launched a week early here in Australia) my first film on the big screen since January 2020.

I really enjoyed it. If you're looking for a deep and powerfully acted story, you're not going to find it here, but if you want to watch big monsters wreck shit and beat the crap out of each other, you'll get it in spades, and in style.

The effects are some of the best I've seen and the monsters have tons of personality.

If this is the end of the Legendary Pictures Godzilla sub-series, it goes out on a good note. Definitely picking it up on Blu Ray.

Around the Network

The film has had the biggest opening of any film in the pandemic era, making $48 million in its opening weekend in the US and another $237m so far overseas, for a total of $286 million globally.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl1383892481/

Did anyone else here catch it?

foodfather said:

It looks very KOMish which is fine but be prepared for 90 minutes of awful writing, dialogue and annoying kids and 20 minutes of Kong & Co.

Lmao this comment didn't age very well. The opposite ended up being true. Minues the cringe dialogue and writing that was so self-aware that it didn't even give a shit.

curl-6 said:

The film has had the biggest opening of any film in the pandemic era, making $48 million in its opening weekend in the US and another $237m so far overseas, for a total of $286 million globally.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl1383892481/

Did anyone else here catch it?

I loved this movies actually. It blew my mind with how damn fun it was and it had me cheering and going F-YEAH! The movie was so absurd, ridiculous, over the top and it's some of the most fun I ever had watching a movie. The plot was so crazy that it just worked. It moved everything forward and gave us spectacular visuals. Sometimes I was just like "wtf am I even watching", but then I just sat back and loved every moment of it. It was over so fast keeping me engaged.

Normally I would tear films that pull this stunt apart, except the difference here was the movie was well aware how ridiculous it was and used that in its favor to make the movie fun and engaging. The movie just releases dopamine as you watch xD I loved it. It's not hard to see why others did too.

I nearly fell asleep watching King of Monsters in theaters and couldn't stand the stupidity of Pacific Rim. This movie just recognized the faults of those films and understood that the monsters are the true protagonist and it just ROCKS! Also the world building was amazing even if it didn't really make sense in it's universe.

Loved it. What I want in these kinds of films.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

mZuzek said:

I didn't like the movie as much, but it was fine. Got annoyed at how much Kong was onscreen, Godzilla almost felt like a side character by comparison. Story was dumb and self-aware, as it probably should be, but it's not like it didn't detract from the fights. There were only two of them, which is already less than we've had in these movies before. Also the whole hollow earth thing was... uhhh, it was a bit much. It was fun, kinda, but I'd rather have had more of the movie set in a tangible place rather than Narnia. The fight at the end did make up for it though. It was kinda short but it was very fun.

Wouldn't put this ahead of either of the Godzilla movies myself, but... those two were the only ones I saw at the cinema, which is obviously a big deal. It was painfully clear how much this movie was not meant to be watched on my 32'' TV.

Lol, You have a lizard and Gorilla the size of skyscrapers and hollow earth was a bit much.  I believe we already blew past fantasy already so why get mundane from there.  If anything that is probably why I liked the movie because they basically said, go for it.  Why be safe with the script when the whole concept of the movie is already totally out their.  It is what made the Godzilla movies so much fun when I was growing up.

Spoiler!
So I enjoyed the movie.  Loved Kong expression after getting his ass handed to him when he was asked to save the damn monster that put him down.  Definitely was glad there was no tie or ambiguous win where you could say it could have went one way or the other. What I found I liked about the battles the most is that they used both monsters strengths.  From Kong ability to use tools to Godzilla pure brute strength and kamehameha which basically Kong has no answer for.

I hope the movie make a lot of money.  I would like to see if Hollywood can get as crazy as Japan with more of these movies.