By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Australia: Switch 88% YoY Growth, New Horizon #1 Game with digital not included

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-01-14-nintendo-and-gta-5-come-top-in-big-year-for-australia-game-sales-australia-annual-report

Amazing performance by New Horizon in Australia

Around the Network

Switch got a lot of growth in it's weakest markets this year. I think there is room for more in certain places this year.

For a second there I thought the Switch had sold 1.2 mil in Australia in 2020 which would have been ridicolous, but looking at the source the "1.2 mil consoles" is all consoles combined which makes more sense.
Obviously an 88 % increase is still bonkers and AC placing first without digital is extremely impressive as well.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Just anecdotally as an Australian the Switch seem to have really taken off here as the go-to trendy device, like the PS4 was a few years back. And several of my friends who aren't normally habitual gamers bought one for Animal Crossing.

curl-6 said:

Just anecdotally as an Australian the Switch seem to have really taken off here as the go-to trendy device, like the PS4 was a few years back. And several of my friends who aren't normally habitual gamers bought one for Animal Crossing.

Or the VIC COVID lockdown device lol

Be interesting to know if Victoria had the most of those sales.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
curl-6 said:

Or the VIC COVID lockdown device lol

Be interesting to know if Victoria had the most of those sales.

Cos of our lockdowns? Haha a state-by-state breakdown would definitely be interesting. NSW has the biggest population but they haven't had the lockdowns we did.

In my job as a mentor (now online) for kids and young adults I definitely notice now that a big chunk of them either own one or say they want one.

Animal Crossing is #1 even excluding digital sales. I think that gives an accurate picture why Switch was up 88% YoY.

Good on us Aussies.

VMCJonCarter said:

Good on us Aussies.

There does seem to be a fair few of us here on VGChartz relative to our small population haha

i didn't notice the amounts of Australians on this site wasn't paying attention to that.