By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ys Origin - A great game I wasn't expecting

Tagged games:

I wasnt a fan. It just got too repetitive for me. Same happened with Ys VIII. Guess the series is just not for me.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
Leynos said:

Ys Oath of Felghana is better but plays in that same style. I'm a big Ys fan even if the modern games I don't enjoy as much. Ark of Naphishtom is also in that style as Oath and Origin. These are modern ports of very old games tho. Early 2000s PC games made by Falcom who despite being the oldest JRPG developer around. Always been a small company. The first JRPGs like Dragon Slayer and Ys predate when JRPGs became turn-based.

The Dragon Slayer series lives on in the Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel series, too. 

That series has branched into every single Falcom series not named Ys, to be honest. Not even remotely the same anymore.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I feel like a lot of these smaller JRPGs probably have a lot more to contribute and add to how you make a good JRPG game mechanically than a lot of bigger titles might. I still think Etrian Odyssey has one of the most engaging turn-based battle systems I've ever played, enough to carry the game for quite a long time and that's despite it having almost no story and me not being a huge JRPG fan. I can't imagine if gameplay like that was used in a bigger more experimental and ambitious production, could be one of the better games ever.

Yeah I absolutely loved EO4, and enjoyed the rest of the EO series. The mechanics of being able to tie enemies up, and give so many status effects to bosses really injected some originality into turn based fights. That and the insane difficulty level.

KLXVER said:

I wasnt a fan. It just got too repetitive for me. Same happened with Ys VIII. Guess the series is just not for me.

Depending on how you look at it most games are quite repetitive.

Cerebralbore101 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I feel like a lot of these smaller JRPGs probably have a lot more to contribute and add to how you make a good JRPG game mechanically than a lot of bigger titles might. I still think Etrian Odyssey has one of the most engaging turn-based battle systems I've ever played, enough to carry the game for quite a long time and that's despite it having almost no story and me not being a huge JRPG fan. I can't imagine if gameplay like that was used in a bigger more experimental and ambitious production, could be one of the better games ever.

Yeah I absolutely loved EO4, and enjoyed the rest of the EO series. The mechanics of being able to tie enemies up, and give so many status effects to bosses really injected some originality into turn based fights. That and the insane difficulty level.

Status effects.... that stuff that in Final Fantasy only serves to infect you and make your life miserable because the enemies that you can put status on you don't need it since they are weak, and the bosses are imune to almost all everytime.

Some are even worse with resistance to break and even higher elemental resistance, 2 Billion Health Points (although depending of the enemy you can give a damage cap of a little over 2B - which is the limit for a 32 bit integer).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The moment I saw that it had a physical version on Switch, I ordered it immediately. I originally believed that it was one of the Ys games made for the Vita, but when I saw the game in action and a still image in 4:3 ratio, I knew it had to be much older. I assumed it was made for the PS2, but it was actually a PC release in 2006.

The tower's layout was less complex than I expected, but Ys Origin is a good game nonetheless. It has a bunch of reasons to be replayed and the best thing about it is that it delivers rocksolid action-RPG gameplay without wasting the player's time. It might be only ~8 hours for the first playthrough, but in today's times where games commonly get too long, it's good to go back to something for a playthrough that can be comfortably finished in a single weekend.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

The moment I saw that it had a physical version on Switch, I ordered it immediately. I originally believed that it was one of the Ys games made for the Vita, but when I saw the game in action and a still image in 4:3 ratio, I knew it had to be much older. I assumed it was made for the PS2, but it was actually a PC release in 2006.

The tower's layout was less complex than I expected, but Ys Origin is a good game nonetheless. It has a bunch of reasons to be replayed and the best thing about it is that it delivers rocksolid action-RPG gameplay without wasting the player's time. It might be only ~8 hours for the first playthrough, but in today's times where games commonly get too long, it's good to go back to something for a playthrough that can be comfortably finished in a single weekend.

Fully agree, and if you want the full story it is 3 runs so you get a good average 30-40h play. Heard the story and mechanics between the 3 chars is different enough to justify it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
KLXVER said:

Cerebralbore101 said:

Status effects.... that stuff that in Final Fantasy only serves to infect you and make your life miserable because the enemies that you can put status on you don't need it since they are weak, and the bosses are imune to almost all everytime.

Some are even worse with resistance to break and even higher elemental resistance, 2 Billion Health Points (although depending of the enemy you can give a damage cap of a little over 2B - which is the limit for a 32 bit integer).

Bosses can get status effects in Etrian Odyssey series. That's one of the best things about it. The bosses are super powerful too, so it doesn't break the game to be able to give them status effects. There's a lot of mid tier enemies in EO games that are strong enough to survive regular attacks for a few turns. Paralyzing or binding them often saves your party from taking damage.

Cerebralbore101 said:
DonFerrari said:

Cerebralbore101 said:

Bosses can get status effects in Etrian Odyssey series. That's one of the best things about it. The bosses are super powerful too, so it doesn't break the game to be able to give them status effects. There's a lot of mid tier enemies in EO games that are strong enough to survive regular attacks for a few turns. Paralyzing or binding them often saves your party from taking damage.

That is great and is part of the mechanics, because it is kinda pointless to have 20 status and bosses being mute to all.