By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Question to non-Americans

My Countries Education System Teaches our history accurately.

Strongly Agree 16 21.62%

Somewhat Agree 29 39.19%

Neutral 7 9.46%

Somewhat Disagree 14 18.92%

Strongly Disagree 8 10.81%

Total:74

Somewhat agree

History classes in Brazil are ok I guess

Maybe they don't touch very sensitive issues during children classes, but I recall teachers were more realistic high school classes

Around the Network
LuccaCardoso1 said:

Brazil here. Kinda.

So our history books begin on the year 1500, with the arrival of the Portuguese here. No talk about the natives that were here first or how they even got here, but okay. 

Humm

We teach it. At least I remember getting some classes about native populations and even more classes theorizing how human rice arrived in America 

What I find underwhelming is schools aren't more empathic about indigenous genocide cause. We teach portuguese people devastated native americans, but I wish people were more clear about the scale of the murdering and ethnic cleaning

If Europeans have just slaughtered Amerindeans like english and americans have done in USA we wouldn't have over 60% of Brazilians having native american DNA. The fact is the indigenous who didn't die were forcefully christianized and forbidden to keep their cultural background, religion and even language. 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 17 January 2021

IcaroRibeiro said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

Brazil here. Kinda.

So our history books begin on the year 1500, with the arrival of the Portuguese here. No talk about the natives that were here first or how they even got here, but okay. 

Humm

We teach it. At least I remember getting some classes about native populations and even more classes theorizing how human rice arrived in America 

Really? Wow, I didn't have any classes on that. Exclusively European history until the 16th century... I grew up in the south, though, so maybe that has something to do with it?

B O I

LuccaCardoso1 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Humm

Really? Wow, I didn't have any classes on that. Exclusively European history until the 16th century... I grew up in the south, though, so maybe that has something to do with it?

I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the university entrance exam. Our schools, especially private ones, are pre-university entrance exams in disguise and ignore subjects that aren't historically present on those exams. I'm from northeast btw 

LuccaCardoso1 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Humm

We do have some history classes for the more developed indigenous civilization (maia, astecas, melmecas, etc), but that is one that is more romantized, we almost don't get history about brazilian indigenous population because since they didn't have written history and most of their population either died of disease, killed or turned into european civilization very few of their history survived to be told.

If you think hard about our history classes from elementary school to the end of high school all the pre-written story is covered very fast and generic (talk a little about migration moves, that we originate from Africa, a little about cave paiting, the major age marks like stone age, etc) and them each of the older civilization talked had some form of written language, from what was considered the first civilization to have it at time I was in school (mesopothamian), then egypt, then greek, macedonian, rome, very few of china and mongolia (almost nothing of the rest of eastern civilizations, almost nothing of other africa civilizations)....

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

We do have some history classes for the more developed indigenous civilization (maia, astecas, melmecas, etc), but that is one that is more romantized, we almost don't get history about brazilian indigenous population because since they didn't have written history and most of their population either died of disease, killed or turned into european civilization very few of their history survived to be told.

If you think hard about our history classes from elementary school to the end of high school all the pre-written story is covered very fast and generic (talk a little about migration moves, that we originate from Africa, a little about cave paiting, the major age marks like stone age, etc) and them each of the older civilization talked had some form of written language, from what was considered the first civilization to have it at time I was in school (mesopothamian), then egypt, then greek, macedonian, rome, very few of china and mongolia (almost nothing of the rest of eastern civilizations, almost nothing of other africa civilizations)....

I got some classes about Ghana Empire, Great Zimbabwe and Mali Empire 

But yeah, it's a very shallow teaching of african History which is comical considering our ethnic background . It's more like Africa only take place in History books when african slave trade started 

Yeah what we learned in school was highly Eurocentric.

We learned about WW2, the Cold War and the Holocaust multiple times in multiple year levels and a bit about China/Japan but nothing about Africa, the Middle East, or indigenous America.

curl-6 said:

Yeah what we learned in school was highly Eurocentric.

We learned about WW2, the Cold War and the Holocaust multiple times in multiple year levels and a bit about China/Japan but nothing about Africa, the Middle East, or indigenous America.

Yep for brazilian history class (and would say even geography and geopolitics) is quite eurocentric. touchs a little of other cultures, but mostly comes from europe. Which is understandable since as the culture that dominated and possibly destroyed what few record was from other historical places.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It's sad that history taught in so many countries is eurocentric

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Ka-pi96 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I got some classes about Ghana Empire, Great Zimbabwe and Mali Empire 

But yeah, it's a very shallow teaching of african History which is comical considering our ethnic background . It's more like Africa only take place in History books when african slave trade started 

African history? Or sub-Saharan African history? I'd argue there's a difference, at least there was in the UK. Northern Africa often gets a lot of attention, especially Egypt and you'll almost certainly learn about Carthage (Tunisia these days) if you do any courses about the Romans too.

But yeah, sub-Saharan Africa was completely untouched.

Here it was only North-East Africa, Egypt and indeed Carthage, ancient times only.
Marrocco, Algeria, nothing, nothing after the Romans either.
Sub Sahara was mentioned for 80K years ago, Homo sapiens vs Neanderthals.

Also only ancient history about China, after the great walls nothing.
In contrast with Russia, which didn't come into the picture until the world wars, same as Japan.

South America, Aztecs and the Spanish getting gold from there.

It was mostly Western European centric after the Romans, or really just UK, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal and Italy.

Geography class pitched in with ancient history, movement of the continents.
Biology class pitched in with Darwin and evolution theory.
English language pitched in with Shakespeare and the times he lived in.
Math class pitched in with the origins of different math forms from China to Pythagoras.
Social studies pitched in with political movements, locally and across Europe from WWI on.
Religion class pitched in with the origins of different religions across the world.
Physics and Chemistry classes also contained plenty history about the origins of different theories.

All the 'applied history' was actually a lot more interesting than history class.