By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Question to non-Americans

My Countries Education System Teaches our history accurately.

Strongly Agree 16 21.62%

Somewhat Agree 29 39.19%

Neutral 7 9.46%

Somewhat Disagree 14 18.92%

Strongly Disagree 8 10.81%

Total:74
PDF said:
Pemalite said:

You can be racist, but also have strong ethics.
I wouldn't be surprised if his attitude was simply born out of frustration... Because I would imagine working with people who are unable to speak the same language as yourself would be rather frustrating.

I live in rural Australia right now and honestly, racism isn't something I see very often, or even homophobia... And this is a very conservative safe seat for the liberal party.

I should clarify my statement to not generalize that all rural Australia is racist nor is all rural America. The vibe of the people just reminded me a lot of home, conservative and little redneck. I like my home for the most part, there are good down to earth people but also I was not surprised to find a racist. (Normally they are not as outspoken as this particular individual.)

I also was in Australia at a time when same-sex marriage was legal in the US but not in Australia, though I can't remember any homophobia other me being surprised it hadn't been legalized yet.

Also another side note - I love the fact that Australia uses European backpackers as part of their agricultural labor. Go to almost any farm there and you will find Europeans doing back-breaking labor trying to get their second-year visa.

How old was the guy? There is a chance he though he was trying to be funny by having a bit of cheeky old aussie banter, which to us younger generations comes off as racist.

Around the Network

Yeah I should probably clarify that even in my hometown there were a lot of lovely people and racism/homophobia certainly weren't universal, just notably more prevalent than in the city.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Cobretti2 said:

How old was the guy? There is a chance he though he was trying to be funny by having a bit of cheeky old aussie banter, which to us younger generations comes off as racist.

In his mid-40s I would guess. I am sure he thought he was funny but that didn't make it any less racist. It was clear he believed his own jokes. I talked to him quite a bit about it because I worked with the South Korean crew before I got moved over to his crew. That's how he found out they were getting paid less.

My Real Redneck friends

PDF said:
Pemalite said:

You can be racist, but also have strong ethics.
I wouldn't be surprised if his attitude was simply born out of frustration... Because I would imagine working with people who are unable to speak the same language as yourself would be rather frustrating.

I live in rural Australia right now and honestly, racism isn't something I see very often, or even homophobia... And this is a very conservative safe seat for the liberal party.

I should clarify my statement to not generalize that all rural Australia is racist nor is all rural America. The vibe of the people just reminded me a lot of home, conservative and little redneck. I like my home for the most part, there are good down to earth people but also I was not surprised to find a racist. (Normally they are not as outspoken as this particular individual.)

I also was in Australia at a time when same-sex marriage was legal in the US but not in Australia, though I can't remember any homophobia other me being surprised it hadn't been legalized yet.

Also another side note - I love the fact that Australia uses European backpackers as part of their agricultural labor. Go to almost any farm there and you will find Europeans doing back-breaking labor trying to get their second-year visa.

Pakistanis are very racist as well. And when you say race in Pakistan, it means something completely different as we talk about tribes and sub-tribes and alot of Pakistanis have opinions about different groups of people and they are adamant that all of the people in that group are like that. One weird example is that many Pakistanis think French people are not very clean and use perfumes to hide their stench. I know that's stupid but it's what they think. It's not as prevalent in bigger cities but still there. Another weird one is that all Chinese people eat dogs and donkeys. It's all really stupid.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

After seeing the thread I came to a conclusion that what was previously believe passed here that USA school usually only focus on USA history and geography seem a lot more widespread and suddemly brazilian schools don't seem so bad anymore.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:

Nope. pakistani here and they don't teach us about the controversial way my province was forced to join Pakistan or how Pakistan also has blame in what's happening to Kashmir and not just India or how the army treats minorities or how the people of the country mistreated minorities or about our role in radicalizing mujahideen or our role in why my people fight the central government and army. They also don't teach how prominent the army was during even democratic rule or how the army rigs elections here. They also made Bhutto seem like a bad leader and villain while overemphasizing the good done by Ayub Khan. They don't teach the histories of each individual province which are very important. They don't teach any history about the major cities even though most are historic spanning 100s or years or history, if not more. They don't teach about the bad and they don't go in depth on anything really. Basically a lot of history omitted is how shitty our army is and how shitty our intelligence agency is.

I'd say a chunk of that (especially the election stuff) seems like it should be part of a politics class rather than a history class. Although as I said I'm really not a fan of "recent" history anyway so I'm kind of biased.

Do they teach much history from the pre-Pakistan days? To me personally that would be the interesting stuff, especially with Pakistan I imagine there's an awful lot that could be covered there.

Ka-pi96 said:
Eagle367 said:

Nope. pakistani here and they don't teach us about the controversial way my province was forced to join Pakistan or how Pakistan also has blame in what's happening to Kashmir and not just India or how the army treats minorities or how the people of the country mistreated minorities or about our role in radicalizing mujahideen or our role in why my people fight the central government and army. They also don't teach how prominent the army was during even democratic rule or how the army rigs elections here. They also made Bhutto seem like a bad leader and villain while overemphasizing the good done by Ayub Khan. They don't teach the histories of each individual province which are very important. They don't teach any history about the major cities even though most are historic spanning 100s or years or history, if not more. They don't teach about the bad and they don't go in depth on anything really. Basically a lot of history omitted is how shitty our army is and how shitty our intelligence agency is.

I'd say a chunk of that (especially the election stuff) seems like it should be part of a politics class rather than a history class. Although as I said I'm really not a fan of "recent" history anyway so I'm kind of biased.

Do they teach much history from the pre-Pakistan days? To me personally that would be the interesting stuff, especially with Pakistan I imagine there's an awful lot that could be covered there.

As I said somewhere else, they don't delve into provincial history a whole lot and considering Pakistan is an especially artificial nation(note that many nations are artificial essentially) so the history depends a lot on the region. They also don't teach history of our cities many of which are historical going back 100s of years. They do teach a lot of pre Pakistan Indian history which is somewhat connected to the provinces but not directly. They talk a lot about British Raj and Mughal raj and stuff, but they don't talk about Balochistan's history or sindh's history or kpk's  history. Punjab is linked with India a lot so they essentially talk about it by accident. They do lie about a lot of stuff and propagandize a lot as well. 

And I think the Pakistan stuff is important and politics is very important to history. I would be ok if there was another topic called political history that we learned but no such thing is taught, so all the responsibility lies on Pakistan studies (the name of the history course after like 7th-8th grade).

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Somewhat agree

History classes in Brazil are ok I guess

Maybe they don't touch very sensitive issues during children classes, but I recall teachers were more realistic high school classes

LuccaCardoso1 said:

Brazil here. Kinda.

So our history books begin on the year 1500, with the arrival of the Portuguese here. No talk about the natives that were here first or how they even got here, but okay. 

Humm

We teach it. At least I remember getting some classes about native populations and even more classes theorizing how human rice arrived in America 

What I find underwhelming is schools aren't more empathic about indigenous genocide cause. We teach portuguese people devastated native americans, but I wish people were more clear about the scale of the murdering and ethnic cleaning

If Europeans have just slaughtered Amerindeans like english and americans have done in USA we wouldn't have over 60% of Brazilians having native american DNA. The fact is the indigenous who didn't die were forcefully christianized and forbidden to keep their cultural background, religion and even language. 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 17 January 2021

IcaroRibeiro said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

Brazil here. Kinda.

So our history books begin on the year 1500, with the arrival of the Portuguese here. No talk about the natives that were here first or how they even got here, but okay. 

Humm

We teach it. At least I remember getting some classes about native populations and even more classes theorizing how human rice arrived in America 

Really? Wow, I didn't have any classes on that. Exclusively European history until the 16th century... I grew up in the south, though, so maybe that has something to do with it?

G O O D B O I