By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why don't Sony and Microsoft update their top selling games every financial period?

Chazore said:

Why does it even matter that much to you OP, when we all know you're pro Ninty and well, not really interested in the other two and just want to see Nintendo dominate everything?.

I'd be curious, if it didn't have a hint of fanboyism attached to it.

Because I am legitimately curious as to why one company does something the others don't, because my questions tend to lean towards the console maker I prefer, and because this is a site we are supposed to talk about games and game-related stuff on.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

1. Third party game sales are more important to Sony/MS than they are to Nintendo.  Reporting first party sales somewhat undercuts the importance of the third party games.

2. In video games, "no news is bad news".  When something sells great, then it gets reported.  When something sells poorly, then you just don't hear anything about it.  Sony actually used to regularly report console shipments just like Nintendo does.  During the PS3 years they stopped doing this, because it stopped being good news.  "Coincidentally" around the same time the NPD stopped reporting software numbers for the top selling games.  Microsoft has always hid most of their sales data, because it has never been good.  Even during the X360 years, their games division was losing a ton of money.  "No news is bad news."

They really should reveal them.
That way fans could understand why some series are abandoned and others not (alot of them forget that some games simply underperfomed).

But Microsoft with gamepass will never do it.

Capcom and Nintendo should be the example.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

1. Third party game sales are more important to Sony/MS than they are to Nintendo.  Reporting first party sales somewhat undercuts the importance of the third party games.

2. In video games, "no news is bad news".  When something sells great, then it gets reported.  When something sells poorly, then you just don't hear anything about it.  Sony actually used to regularly report console shipments just like Nintendo does.  During the PS3 years they stopped doing this, because it stopped being good news.  "Coincidentally" around the same time the NPD stopped reporting software numbers for the top selling games.  Microsoft has always hid most of their sales data, because it has never been good.  Even during the X360 years, their games division was losing a ton of money.  "No news is bad news."

Sony kept reporting PS3 shipment every quarter, are you mixing it with PSVita for some undisclosed reason?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I'm a bit surprised Sony stopped announcing sales figures. Maybe its the change in leadership? We got confirmation of 20+ Million lifetime sales for Spiderman and God of War from external sources, very reliable ones I might add, but you would think this is the type of info Sony would want to announce. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 05 January 2021

Around the Network

First party is doing really good for Sony, the outcome is much much better compared to SW sales on PS3 and even PS2 (both first party and third party).

DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Sony kept reporting PS3 shipment every quarter, are you mixing it with PSVita for some undisclosed reason?

Could you please link to this data?

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

On topic, companies releasing numbers for their games isn’t required on a quarterly statement. It’s better off being told to us via tweets. It’s for gamers who are invested, not for investors.

Like the fiscal quarter that covered August MS said that 1st party was driving a lot of engagement and revenue. That’s covering the 4 games Tell Me Why, Flight Sim, Wasteland 3, and Battletoads. That’s all we really need to know. The stats that Flight Sim sold over 1 million on Steam and played by total 2 million players is a nice bonus. 

But regardless it’s no longer a good metric to list sold when you pushing GP. Seems your criteria is solely meant for PS fans to dissect and use as ammo against Xbox fans online. To MS, they don’t care about “losing sales to Game Pass” they care that you play their games as much as possible. The revenue comes in other ways rather then just upfront like you are used to. 

Of course it is a good thing to list sales even if the game is on GP. Even more when we have people come to VGC to say GP actually increases sales of the SW instead of making it sell less.

Would have zero issue with they saying "We sold 3M of this game and had another 5M playing it on GP that right now have 10M subs". You just don't want MS posting low numbers, and MS have stopped giving sales numbers for HW and SW much earlier than GP ever being a thing so that excuse doesn't hold water.

It does set one up for failure. Like if you list it for one you have to list it for all. And not all games will be a sales success but might be still popular on Game Pass. It’s free ammo for console wars. The system in place now is fine. Both Sony and MS announce milestones as they see fit and that’s fine with me. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
DonFerrari said:

Could you please link to this data?

You could just enter their financial statements. The final shipment number in VGC for PS3 was even adjusted by sony announcement.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/13q4_sonypre.pdf

That is one example, from what I remember almost every year Sony gave total HW sales.

https://www.engadget.com/2013-11-06-playstation-3-up-to-80-million-consoles-shipped-worldwide.html#:~:text=PlayStation%203%20up%20to%2080%20million%20consoles%20shipped%20worldwide%20%7C%20Engadget

Guess you could have done your research before your claim instead of asking for another one to give the sources that disprove yours.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 06 January 2021

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Of course it is a good thing to list sales even if the game is on GP. Even more when we have people come to VGC to say GP actually increases sales of the SW instead of making it sell less.

Would have zero issue with they saying "We sold 3M of this game and had another 5M playing it on GP that right now have 10M subs". You just don't want MS posting low numbers, and MS have stopped giving sales numbers for HW and SW much earlier than GP ever being a thing so that excuse doesn't hold water.

It does set one up for failure. Like if you list it for one you have to list it for all. And not all games will be a sales success but might be still popular on Game Pass. It’s free ammo for console wars. The system in place now is fine. Both Sony and MS announce milestones as they see fit and that’s fine with me. 

Sony announced milestones for several games, but not for all. Nintendo also only keep updating their top seller. So nope, you aren't obligated to give info of all, but sure people can assume that the ones they don't aren't doing great. Thing is, currently the lack of information on sale of HW and SW at all is really an indicative of exactly that, even more when they stopping to talk about sales entirely started after the lackluster sales of X1 after the first year reaching near 10M shipped and the "only holiday sales mater".