By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What would happen/need to happen if/for the Switch became the dominant platform?

A random thought of mine, but hey we are in the midst of a generation starting with a hiccup or two are we not?

So as the Xbox 360 was in Gen 7 and PS4 for Gen 8 the Switch becomes the platform of focus for development versions. What does this do to the industry, how does this happen, etc etc. 

I mean I am pretty sure this would be what E.A and Rockstar would call a 'nightmare', but I am happy with the thought of them being miserable so let's delve into the night terror 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

It's very difficult to be the leading platform when some of the biggest and most popular games out there either avoid you or release watered down versions of their games that even most hardcore fans of theirs call bullshit on. Fifa games are scandalously copypasted on the Switch (even by Fifa standards, which says a lot) and other EA Sports games are nowhere to be seen, Fortnite only gets crossplay with mobile platforms, there is no CoD game on the platform and I doubt it some will come, and the same with GTA and RDR... Nintendo consoles always play with the handicap that the most popular 3rd parties avoid releasing their biggest titles on them, and now that they depend on microtransactons more than ever, they are going to keep it that way (the Switch is notoriously bad for microtransaction economies).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

The only logical and easy answer is that the Switch will be around longer. In terms of support, I don't think it will increase or decrease by being on top of the competition. It's already a successfull platform that gets good support.

Nothing

It's already the dominant platform

And nothing substantially changed. Maybe we will get more JP third party in the upcoming years

Western AAA devs are more likely to focus on PC

I believe if PS5 and XSX flops the most likely route for Sony and MS gamers is go PC gaming. Sure they can still using Switch, but I doubt they will stop playing all the IPs they like altogether.

So instead of PS4-Switch and XBONE-Switch ownership we will have PC-Switch ownership hence the same status we already have now

IcaroRibeiro said:

I believe if PS5 and XSX flops the most likely route for Sony and MS gamers is go PC gaming. Sure they can still using Switch, but I doubt they will stop playing all the IPs they like altogether.

So instead of PS4-Switch and XBONE-Switch ownership we will have PC-Switch ownership hence the same status we already have now

So what you are trying to say is that PC is (and probably will stay) the dominant platform, not the Switch.

Most of the AAA games, most of the AA games, most of the indie games, best backwards compatibility, almost every multiplatform game day one as PC version (and often the prettiest version), most versatile and flexible platform due to very different form factors and free choice of input devices.

I agree.

Around the Network
Conina said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

So what you are trying to say is that PC is (and probably will stay) the dominant platform, not the Switch.

Most of the AAA games, most of the AA games, most of the indie games, best backwards compatibility, almost every multiplatform game day one as PC version (and often the prettiest version), most versatile and flexible platform due to very different form factors and free choice of input devices.

I agree.

I understood OP was talking only about console market, not the game market as a whole

If that's the point we need to include mobile as well, meaning all mediums will bleed customers to Nintendo. It's such a catastrophic scenario that I can't process, let alone predict

Meanwhile Nintendo outselling Sony and MS by large margin is easier to digest and is lowkey already happening

Fact is Nintendo can't absorb the whole console market to itself, if Sony and MS flop too much it will lead only to a PC gaming increase in their market share. Nintendo software and hardware sales will increase as well, but there is a threshold of how much. 

Bandorr said:

What a very strange question.
The Xbox 360 was the most "powerful" for that generation I believe.
PS4 4 was the most powerful (for a while) of this generation.

The switch isn't even as powerful as the base ps4.. but you are asking this question after the PS5 and XSX come out?
Plus how can it be the dominant platform when it isn't even getting those games?

Can you imagine Cyberpunk running on the switch? It would have to require every game do what control did.

It would look like the port of Ark Survival Evolved on Switch. Seriously, that thing's abominable.

Is it really a random thought of yours though?.

No offense, but each time you make a thread, it's always about Nintendo being better than the rest, or rising to utter dominance, something along those lines...

Let's cut it short though. if Ninty was the main platform, we'd all be paying upwards of £80+ or more for base games, we'd still have watered down experiences, because Switch was the base platform to build for, and well, a lot of non Ninty gamers would be worse off on their own respective platforms.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

Is it really a random thought of yours though?.

No offense, but each time you make a thread, it's always about Nintendo being better than the rest, or rising to utter dominance, something along those lines...

Let's cut it short though. if Ninty was the main platform, we'd all be paying upwards of £80+ or more for base games, we'd still have watered down experiences, because Switch was the base platform to build for, and well, a lot of non Ninty gamers would be worse off on their own respective platforms.

Blasted Nintendo tax, I'm still mad most 3rd parties are around 10€ more expensive than their equivalent on other platforms, why they are allowed to do this is a mystery.

Well, it's the dominant right now in terms of sales. The Switch was either launched mid eighth generation or a very early ninth generation, depending on how you view it.

People would have to stop giving a crap about Western AAA games and some Japanese AAA games on consoles for the Switch or its successor to fully be the dominant one (like in the NES days, or even SNES days). It's a simple fact, the Switch and future Nintendo platforms simply can't compete directly with specs anymore. That ended after the GameCube, as far as home consoles go. And they never even tried with specs in the handheld market, but still dominated. I do think Nintendo will be the last one standing in mainstream video game hardware, outpacing even PlayStation. More and more PlayStation and Xbox players will move over to PC.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima