By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS5 and/or XBSS/X outsell Wii U by 2021 end?

Will they?

Yes, both 24 27.59%

PS5 only 45 51.72%

PS5 only 5 5.75%

XBSS/X only 1 1.15%

No 7 8.05%

This poll is rigged! 5 5.75%

Total:87
Alby_da_Wolf said:
GaoGaiGarV said:

I don't see Series S contribute much to that goal. Series X sees high demand and this will continue in 2021. Microsoft has to catch up with demand and if they do it will almost be holiday 21 and demand will rise again. So why should Microsoft produce and try to sell customers a $300 console if they could also sell them a $500 box?

XBSS is made to be sold to people that would very reluctantly pay $400 and never $500 or more for a console. MS made it probably to obtain a user base as large as possible as quick as possible, and also to push Game Pass.
Its negative side effect is not lower revenue on HW, even less lower profit, as both Sony and MS consoles are sold at a loss initially, but that low budget games will probably have just the low-performance version on XBS, and XBSX will get that too. Once decided to make such an underspecced entry level console for the XBS archirtecture, this bad effect can't be avoided anymore, so MS will better sell XBSS in numbers large enough to justify it, otherwise it will end up being just a thing that damaged XBSX with nothing in return.

The whole Series S justification hits a big wall which is the lack of disk drive. You want a buget console but have to pay games at full price and cannot buy used games or sell your own games is the opposite of a budgetfriendly console. 

And yeah you can have the Game Pass but will have to pay every month + the games doesn't belong to you. 

So IMO the Series S fails at several levels and won't nearly sell as much as the Series X. (1/3 or even 1/4 as I believe the current numbers are heavily tied to the stock issues of the Series X)

Around the Network

For the record, my justification for thinking the Series S/X will sell poorly is a similar-ish reason to (one of the many reasons) why the Wii U sold very poorly. A bad name that makes people think it is a mere "Xbox One.25" instead of a true next gen console.

Granted it will sell way better than the Wii U, but I can see the Xbox Series selling only like 30-35 million or whatever, especially if there are only few exclusives. In fact does the console have any exclusives at all as of now?

What's a Wii U? Never heard of it...

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

SKMBlake said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

XBSS is made to be sold to people that would very reluctantly pay $400 and never $500 or more for a console. MS made it probably to obtain a user base as large as possible as quick as possible, and also to push Game Pass.
Its negative side effect is not lower revenue on HW, even less lower profit, as both Sony and MS consoles are sold at a loss initially, but that low budget games will probably have just the low-performance version on XBS, and XBSX will get that too. Once decided to make such an underspecced entry level console for the XBS archirtecture, this bad effect can't be avoided anymore, so MS will better sell XBSS in numbers large enough to justify it, otherwise it will end up being just a thing that damaged XBSX with nothing in return.

The whole Series S justification hits a big wall which is the lack of disk drive. You want a buget console but have to pay games at full price and cannot buy used games or sell your own games is the opposite of a budgetfriendly console. 

And yeah you can have the Game Pass but will have to pay every month + the games doesn't belong to you. 

So IMO the Series S fails at several levels and won't nearly sell as much as the Series X. (1/3 or even 1/4 as I believe the current numbers are heavily tied to the stock issues of the Series X)

Yes, the bad side effect on the full-fledged XBSX made me totally overlook XBSS' biggest flaw, the one that directly affects it. MS could mitigate it only conceding the freedom to choose 3rd party digital marketplaces, to at least be able to look for the best price on new copies, but I guess it wants to push Game Pass (or any other 1st party GaaS it will launch in the future) more than anything else.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Ps5 will outsell every Nintendo System ever released with the exception of DS, i know hard to digest here but get ready for some bad bad years for Nintendo Fanboys once Sony gets the Stock Right.

& yes it will Crush Wii U numbers by the end of 2021 which were pretty damn terrible.

Xbox? Well depends, Series will probably sell a tiny bit better than One but it´s not even a lock yet, Brand has been damaged beyond repair and they don´t have Franchises like Nintendo or Appeal to do a major comeback.

Nintendo has the IPs and the System to do gargantuous numbers, MS let Halo slip with 343 & Gears doesn´t do much in this day and age.

Around the Network

I think both will but it'll be relatively easy for PS5 to do it, I think it may be more challenging for Xbox to do it.

Edit: It also depends on how quickly MS and Sony can get stock normalized, so far both are still out of stock at most locations

Voted Both will surpass by end of 2021, i still have my wii u.

The PS5 would need more or less PS3 level sales for 2021 not to beat the Wii U, seems unlikely. The Xbox is more of a question, we really don't know what it will sell. The Xbox One has sold decently, but never really well in any one region, and MS' gamble with possible driving a slight wedge between developers and end user in releasing a considerably weaker option for their fully digital alternative has yet to show results. I think the Xbox Series S will prove to be more a problem than a boon to MS, when all is said and done, and that they might have trouble delivering enough Series X units to those Xbox fans who want the best version of their games.

They'd have to sell really poorly to not do it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I think the PS5 will do it easily. The only scenario I can think of where the PS5 doesn't do it is if something goes terribly wrong with their production line. The XBS, on the other hand, I really don't think it can make it, but I would love to be proven wrong.