By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - China is officially Switch's 4th biggest market

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-09/china-is-nintendo-s-secret-weapon-in-war-with-playstation-xbox

153% Growth in "Other" regions prior quarter

An under-reported fact is that while this year's record breaking Switch performance has been, the Region with the most growth is "Other". Nintendo Switch is already the market leader in South Korea and Taiwan. And the company has seen substantial demand of it's console and games in China, where their local partner Tencent has been pushing their fitness game Ring Fit Adventure since it's official launch in the country this September.

East Asian & Chinese gaming markets are crucial in Nintendo and other Japanese companies future business strategy - when discussing their growth. With Tencent becoming an increasingly involved partner in their attempts to get a foothold in the World's biggest gaming market, earlier in the year it was announced that they become Marvelous's biggest investor and before that they invisted in Platinum Games, both studios with strong ties to Nintendo. 

"We will raise funds to develop games for overseas players," said Shuichi Motoda, president of Marvelous, referring to Tencent's capital injection through its investment subsidiary.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Media-Entertainment/Tencent-expands-partnership-with-Japan-s-gaming-developers

While they've also formed strategic partnerships with some of the biggest 3rd Party publishers - Square Enix & Capcom.

Tencent has already confirmed that it is working to bring the cheaper and portable Switch Lite to China in 2021, which will appeal to a more price conscious consumers. This will be the main market driving huge growth for Nintendo in the coming years.

Around the Network

Who would have thought Tencent and a fitness game would help Nintendo finally do what no one has done before in China (I'm mostly talking about the future and making a prediction). Now if only they could find out how to make Brazil work they could have true global domination. Sony can have Europe. Brazil and China are the future.

It will most likely surpass 10 million lifetime, huge numbers right there...

I think you are underestimate the size of the market. Just because China's Mobile market dwarfs everything else it doesn't mean that Switch cannot carve out a pretty big niche there. Potentially if there is enough mass adoption it could become Nintendo's main growth engine in the next few years. 10 million is honestly the floor Ryng, you've become far more conservative over the years

With Tencent being a strategic partner, and very strong support from 3rd Parties - Switch could literally explode on the scene there. Currently Nintendo has only launched four titles officially in China. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Odyssey, NSMBUD which all launched in March and Ring Fit Adventure which launched in September. Honestly some of the most popular games in Japan/Asia are still not officially launched in China
- New Horizon
- Smash Ultimate
- Pokemon Sword / Shield
- Splatoon 2
- Super Mario Party

Than we also notice that a lot of third parties are also focusing on Chinese localization - basically at some point these third party games will make it through the Chinese regulatory process - Monster Hunter Rise, DQXIS, Taiko, Fishing Spirits, Age of Calamity, Sakuna, Olive Town, Rune Factory 5, Bravely Default 2 etc.A person can import from overseas or buy from the gray market so even those sales will contribute to 3rd Party growth. As long as Nintendo is selling the hardware and piracy doesn't become commonplace.

Why just China? Isn't India also a big market?

Around the Network

Any dead thread we can dig to laugh at the highly skeptical posts? I remembered seeing a lot of doubters less than an year ago

We reap what we sow

I think Nintendo's family friendly approach gives them an advantage in China when it comes to them being able to release games.

Nintendo sells 1.3 million Switches in China in 2020, surpasses PS4's LTD sales there:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/373932-switch-sells-more-than-1-3-million-units-in-china-for-2020-total

Japan
China
South Korea
Taiwan

A new coalition has emerged

noshten said:

10 million is honestly the floor Ryng, you've become far more conservative over the years

honestly? yeah, it's probabily conservate, then again i said "most likely".

I don't think my predictions have been conservate those years though, i mean i think i was pretty realistic most of the times?