By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2020)

What cringe are you excited about?

Confusing game trailers 4 15.38%

A game you like winning t... 1 3.85%

Josef Fares going insane once again 4 15.38%

Geoff Keighley looking uncomfortable 9 34.62%

Hydrobot’s Revenge 1 3.85%

Awkward backstage attendee interviews 0 0%

Cliff Bleszinski insulting PC gamers 0 0%

Hideo Kojima barred entry once again 1 3.85%

Watching someone use a VR and actin’ a fool 0 0%

The unknown cringe 6 23.08%

Total:26

Show as good for what is was but I preferred last years show. I can't comment on the winners mainly last of us 2 and ghost of tsushima as I have played them yet(damn ps4 controller stopped working the day I bought em both) I'll say tho my favorite game I played this yr was Ori and the Will of Wisp but I don't think it was nominated for anything

Around the Network

The only personal takeaway I got from this show was that the awards and talking segments were like unskippable ads between reveals.

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Pretty solid for Xbox.

Perfect Dark finally revealed. Favourite game on the N64 so this is great for me.
Ark 2 Xbox console exclusive. Great news and just what 2021 needs to be better.
Halo on Fortnight is ok. Cross promotion for Halo Infinite serves a greater good.
Skyrim and entire Yakuza series on Game Pass...nice.

I thought you were against exclusives from studios that aren't 1st party.

sales2099 said:

The game hits all the same notes that movies use that win the Oscars. Diverse cast and sexualities. Strong female lead. Social issues explored. This award surprised nobody. It’s a  shame is how Druckman forever divided his own community on the treatment of Ellie and Joel in order to push his personal wants. 

I would normally not post about this, but your smug bragging compelled me. 

You are one to talk regarding bragging =p

Like I said in the other thread, Xbox and PS have different narratives. Xbox is the scrappy underdog that needs the marketshare boost. PS is the leader aggressively tightening their grip on their marketshare. Xbox is therefore more sympathetic :)

And lol ya, but in this particular context I wasn’t gonna post on the LOU 2 goty thread to not cause trouble. But this thread is another story if someone displays hubris. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

shikamaru317 said:

They really need to give the audience more than 10% voting power in the future. 

Alternatively, they really should take away that 10% voting power the audience has in the future. Giving audiences any voting power is a joke in my eyes.

pikashoe said:
mZuzek said:

From what I've played, at least one game deserved it more. From what I've heard people say, I get the feeling that maybe one or two others also did.

Animal Crossing was fine. It did what was expected of it - it's a new Animal Crossing in HD on the Switch. That's about it. The game did nothing interesting with the concept, it played it as safe as safe gets and even within that formula it barely added anything of note. There's nothing exciting about the game, it's unambitious through and through. The only reason it got a nomination was because of the impact it had back then as a multiplayer/social experience, but it's since faded away drastically just like Fall Guys has.

Honestly, it might be the worst game of the year nomination we've had, made only worse by the caliber of games that went missing. 

Literally a complete lie. they added loads of customization options, crafting, you can completely change the look of the island with by adding cliffs and and rivers, being able to put furniture anywhere on the island, they've revamped and expanded many of the holidays as well, most of the furniture in the game is brand new and not re used from older titles. Just look online at some of the amazing things people have created in this game. plus they are constantly adding to the game with updates and new features

another complete lie, the game has not faded away. its still selling like crazy and i still see people talking about it on social media all of the time. theres even a chat show on youtube set within the game. the last update video for the game has over 2 million views on youtube and that just released a few weeks ago.

I can think of one game that was nominated this year that was definitely worse. 

I bought Animal Crossing for my wife, I have barely played it, less than 20 hours. My wife has played more than one thousand hours. The game is so full and with a lot of new content pretty much every month. And let's not talk about the sales because they have been beyond terrific. Animal Crossing is not my cup of tea, but it deserved its nomination and maybe even the award. It has been such a massive social movement intrinsic with this year. 2020 helped AC to be the success it is, but AC made 2020 have a huge improvement in social life for literal tenths of million of people. 

Around the Network

Just finished watching all the trailers and gameplays, interesting games and updates all around. I think it would be nice if, after the main event, they released some sort of fancy summary containing just the new annoucements and updates on existing games, for those who aren't interested in the rest of the show. But that'd make The Game Awards lose its essence, I guess.

I'm mostly a lurker now.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

I thought you were against exclusives from studios that aren't 1st party.

sales2099 said:

The game hits all the same notes that movies use that win the Oscars. Diverse cast and sexualities. Strong female lead. Social issues explored. This award surprised nobody. It’s a  shame is how Druckman forever divided his own community on the treatment of Ellie and Joel in order to push his personal wants. 

I would normally not post about this, but your smug bragging compelled me. 

You are one to talk regarding bragging =p

Like I said in the other thread, Xbox and PS have different narratives. Xbox is the scrappy underdog that needs the marketshare boost. PS is the leader aggressively tightening their grip on their marketshare. Xbox is therefore more sympathetic :)

And lol ya, but in this particular context I wasn’t gonna post on the LOU 2 goty thread to not cause trouble. But this thread is another story if someone displays hubris. 

I'se seem more hubris from people hating TLOU2 than bragging about it in this thread.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

shikamaru317 said:
Jpcc86 said:

Alternatively, they really should take away that 10% voting power the audience has in the future. Giving audiences any voting power is a joke in my eyes.

Why would they do that? If it's just the critics voting, it's like the many other awards out there, so what is the point then? The audience needs real power to decide what wins awards. If it's just critics then it's even worse than the government, at least with the government we get to vote to elect our politicians who will then be voting for us, but game critics aren't voted in by the general population, they don't represent us.

For the same reason the audience dont vote for the Oscars or the Grammys but they do for the MTV VMAs. 
But more importantly, because of things like this: 

Frequently I feel critics miss a thing or two, at times its just details, at times they drop the ball and I dont agree with the reception a game gets, but I can understand where they are coming from because theres quality behind a product. When it comes to audiences, Satan is more reliable. 

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

I'se seem more hubris from people hating TLOU2 than bragging about it in this thread.

Well it’s a divisive game. It split its own community in half with the treatment of Ellie and Joel. And then you have people who didn’t like the left wing aspects in general. That’s on Druckman imo. 

Is the actual goty thread different at least? I didn’t go there but I assume it’s more positive in its dedicated area.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Okay everyone, I've officially imported these results into the The Game Awards - All Time Leaderboard thread, enjoy! Until next year!