By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Project Athia is a PS5 console exclusive (Will come out on PC day 1 but on other platforms in 24 months)

Tagged games:

Which platform will you be getting Project Athia on?

Playstation 5 35 59.32%

PC 13 22.03%

Waiting for other platforms 11 18.64%

Total:59
shikamaru317 said:
Qwark said:

Sony never acquires studio's quickly usually they form a long therm partnership. When the partnership is beneficial enough Sony wants to acquire the studio. There are some exceptions of course. But acquiring Suckerpunch and Insomniac took a long while. But if the Square Enix games sell well enough I can defenitely see Sony buying Square. Same goes fir From Software, which games they will still release on pc. 

Yeah, rumor is their next acquisition is Bluepoint, who they've been building a relationship with for over a decade now.

Square would definitely be an expensive get for Sony. They are publicly traded, so we know their current value, which is $7.2b, and that price would go up if there were acquisition rumors. Sony would likely end up spending $8b+ to buy Square (unless their stock value crashes at some point in the near future), which would be Sony's most expensive acquisition ever. It's not impossible of course, Sony has the cash on hand necessary to buy Square right now if they wanted to, I just don't know if PS leadership would be able to actually convince Sony to do it. 

Sony purchasing any large third party publisher makes absolutely no sense. Unless they decide to completely change their strategy and go fully services and multiplatform. 

What you're seeing is how they're choosing to spend the cash- Timed deals, marketing and the expansion of their own first party studios.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

They could I don't know, open studios. Let's stop pretending MS is a poor company being bullied by evil Sony. But that is the good point about you, you don't pretend, you want MS pooring money to buy marketshare and studios instead of pretending buying whole publishers takes less away than a couple games timed exclusive.

They did. The Initiative and Worlds Edge. Takes too long to make games as you can see and Xbox needs games now. They are doing both, organic and inorganic growth. 

MS isn’t a poor company but Xbox was a poor division (not anymore).

Please.

Poor in relation to what? The competition or their own previous spending?

DonFerrari said:

Sure, almost same thing to buy a developer that for the past 20 years or so mostly developed exclusives that Sony own all the IPs and buying a major publisher because certainly Zenimax couldn't fund their games. You talk so much about poking the bear one one hand, you wouldn't have an issue if Sony bought S-E, Capcom, etc right?

Would i have an issue if Sony brought Capcom or Square? I wouldn't have an issue if Sony brought any company out, would i be disapointed that i can no longer play those games, of course.. but it is what it is, its buisness. These are not corparate take overs, these are companies willing to be purchased.

Buyouts isnt just a console industry thing, its a world wide buisness practice. Companies invest to grow. Timed exclusives only exist to force peoples hands or to miss out. Buying studios is a major investment for long term success. To me, thats a massive difference. But to each there own.

twintail said:
Soonerman said:

I think MS should counter this and FFXVI exclusivity by taking away Deathloop and Ghostwire exclusivity deal from PS5 and move it to a Series X exclusive. This will send a clear message to Sony and its third-party partners that if they want to keep exclusive games for ridiculously long periods away MS can retaliate by buying more developers.

These games are under contractual obligations. Very little MS can do.

Besides, their ownership of Zenmiax is not entirely complete until around April of 2021.

There are options to terminate contracts if necessary, and MS has the resources to do so. Zenimax deals, probably not until the deal has been made however all the other games that jumped to other platforms could have easily been canceled. This happens all the time in other industries. 

Proof, Epic Games canceled Metro Exodus from Steam 1 week before its release, and they dont even own the IP or studio.

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

They did. The Initiative and Worlds Edge. Takes too long to make games as you can see and Xbox needs games now. They are doing both, organic and inorganic growth. 

MS isn’t a poor company but Xbox was a poor division (not anymore).

None of the studios MS bought brought any new game to Xbox, all of those were either already making 2nd party games or were 3rd party multiplat devs. Xbox was never a poor division, at most is was a poorly managed one, sure you can also say it wasn't a profitable one as well.

Well ya, they are honouring the existing contracts. Grounded I think is the first game from their new studios. I can certainly argue Xbox never had the budget or full backing of MS as a whole. Poorly managed in the past you got that right though. 

Point being you can’t just build studios when you have a lacking games narrative. It’s scrappy and competitive when the underdog does it. When the winner does it it’s just tightening their grip. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
Azzanation said:

There are options to terminate contracts if necessary, and MS has the resources to do so. Zenimax deals, probably not until the deal has been made however all the other games that jumped to other platforms could have easily been canceled. This happens all the time in other industries. 

Proof, Epic Games canceled Metro Exodus from Steam 1 week before its release, and they dont even own the IP or studio.

AFAIK You're under no contractual obligation to release your game on Steam. You merely forfeit the submission fee.

Shows it can happen. We dont know the contract details but Ill be sure majority of games would have similar agreements on consoles, i daubt there would be heavy restrictions on 3rd party games with no influence from major console makers.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

None of the studios MS bought brought any new game to Xbox, all of those were either already making 2nd party games or were 3rd party multiplat devs. Xbox was never a poor division, at most is was a poorly managed one, sure you can also say it wasn't a profitable one as well.

Well ya, they are honouring the existing contracts. Grounded I think is the first game from their new studios. I can certainly argue Xbox never had the budget or full backing of MS as a whole. Poorly managed in the past you got that right though. 

Point being you can’t just build studios when you have a lacking games narrative. It’s scrappy and competitive when the underdog does it. When the winner does it it’s just tightening their grip. 

Nope you didn't understand the point. Even if all the games from all the studios MS bought were shifted to be exclusive (let's ignore that can't be made) it wouldn't mean MORE games for Xbox as you claim, all those games were already going to Xbox anyway.

MS had 6 years in the gen to build these studios, what they done? On the last year of the gen they bough 15 or so. Please don't insult our intelligence saying they didn't had time to build studios.

Azzanation said:
twintail said:

AFAIK You're under no contractual obligation to release your game on Steam. You merely forfeit the submission fee.

Shows it can happen. We dont know the contract details but Ill be sure majority of games would have similar agreements on consoles, i daubt there would be heavy restrictions on 3rd party games with no influence from major console makers.

If you made a contract and paid for it you can be sure there is a lot of restrictions. And usually purchase of companies have a clause that the new owner will honor all current contracts.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

If you made a contract and paid for it you can be sure there is a lot of restrictions. And usually purchase of companies have a clause that the new owner will honor all current contracts.

There will be restrictions in place and penalties will be applied when breaking contracts. However its not impossible. Reimbursements and penalty fines can take place. However if the penalty is not worth it, companies will just honor it, which are cases like Deathloop.

twintail said:

I'm sorry, but you're making a comparison that isn't even remotely similar at all. Deep Silver is not obliged to keep their games on Steam since they don't enter into any exclusivity agreement. 

The situation with Epic, in which they did enter into a contract to release the game exclusively through their storefront, is what is most similar to the contracts you're seeing on consoles.

Deathloop and GhostWire are timed-exclusive because the PS5 was the only console that was available toe the devs/ publisher, but because of a contract Sony would have paid to secure. A contract that just allows one party to forfeit at any time without any repercussions is an incredibly poorly thought through contract, and I doubt even exists at business levels like this.

We are talking about two different contracts. I am referring to the normal game releasing on multiple platforms, not paid timed exclusives, however contracts can be broken, might be costly but never impossible. 

Games like Wasteland 3, which is 100% owned by MS, there is no binding contract where the game had to release on PS4 (From what we know of) however the game still released on that platform, MS could have easily turned there nose up at the PS console and changed where the game lands if they see benefits. Minecraft is another game which MS owned, they don't have any binding contracts keeping Minecraft on the PS consoles, they can easily remove the game from the PS store if they see fit.

Timed exclusives are obviously a lot harder to nudge as they are locked, so companies will just honor the deals instead. That's why i used Metro as my example. Game was changed in its final week as Steam had no say or rights to where the game releases on, even after people paid for pre-orders on Steam.

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Nope you didn't understand the point. Even if all the games from all the studios MS bought were shifted to be exclusive (let's ignore that can't be made) it wouldn't mean MORE games for Xbox as you claim, all those games were already going to Xbox anyway.

MS had 6 years in the gen to build these studios, what they done? On the last year of the gen they bough 15 or so. Please don't insult our intelligence saying they didn't had time to build studios.

Ah I see. Going exclusive means that they would in theory deny Sony. Goes back to my initial statement that being 1st party supersedes any complaints. Being 1st party it makes about as much sense to complain as me complaining why I can’t play Sony 1st party on Xbox. 

They technically started this initiative in 2018. The time before that sure, Xbox scraped by.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Ah I see. Going exclusive means that they would in theory deny Sony. Goes back to my initial statement that being 1st party supersedes any complaints. Being 1st party it makes about as much sense to complain as me complaining why I can’t play Sony 1st party on Xbox. 

They technically started this initiative in 2018. The time before that sure, Xbox scraped by.

Yep. It didn't add to Xbox, but sure can take away from PS, and competitively speaking it have its merit. Was just pointing that if the objective was bringing more games to Xbox them they would need to open new studios instead of buying ones that would already make games to MS.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."