By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Project Athia is a PS5 console exclusive (Will come out on PC day 1 but on other platforms in 24 months)

Tagged games:

Which platform will you be getting Project Athia on?

Playstation 5 35 59.32%

PC 13 22.03%

Waiting for other platforms 11 18.64%

Total:59
twintail said:
sales2099 said:

No way around it, that’s a dirty and aggressive deal. Just buy Square and make it all legit, because 3rd party exclusive deals should be no more then 6 months imo.

The gaming media also showing their true colors, I haven’t seen any outlet criticizing this.

lol get over it.

whether its a timed exclusivity deal, or straight up buying the developer, the result is the same: content that is exclusive to your platform.

No outlets are criticising it because the straight up hypocrisy of supporting MS buying Bethesda etc is just too stupid to lose your reputation over. 

The Fury said:

Why would Sony spend money to time exclusive something that is completely unproven? Could be a pile of crap?

Maybe there's more to it than splashin cash like they are helping with dev?

Would you prefer Sony snagged The Evil Within 3 instead? With a new IP is there is little room to get up in arms over it. There's no personal investment from any gamer in a new IP.

or the game was having development issues. 

You have to remember that somehow it is worse that Sony pick a new IP that no one knows will be good or sell well and pay for it to have timed exclusivity than MS buying in a single year 15 studios and keeping the whole portfolio forever. Get on with times.

And of course Sony picking up this timed exclusivity will force MS answer into buying another 8 studios.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
ice said:

Does it matter if it was announced? FFXVI, FFVII, and this would certainly be multiplat. I’m not even coming at your precious Sony, my point was that SE has shown time and time again to put money over their consumers. I don’t blame MS and Sony for trying to make their platforms appealing. Only if everyone showed  a fraction of the outrage that Rise of the Tomb Raider got maybe these deals with big publishers wouldn’t be as common. 

Of course it matters if it was announced as a multiplat first. You trying to stretch the mental gymnastics so it doesn't shows your own bias. It's why no one is pissed at The Medium or Scorn being timed exclusives for XSX. They're new IP, but, more importantly, they were announced as timed exclusives. I'll have to go into the threads for those games and see if you railed against MS/publishers for those. And precious Sony? Lol, good one.

Azzanation said:

Whats even funnier or worse, depends which way you look at it, is when Rise came out, every one blew a gasket, than shortly after SFV was announced as a FULL exclusive and everyone was perfectly fine with it. Even went on the defence claiming that SFV wouldnt exist if Sony didnt give them money, the same logic which applied for Rise to release and only for a Timed deal.

Crazy that a stolen Timed game is worse than a stolen Permanent game. 

#The Console community.

It wasn't some theory gamers came up with. Capcom said as much. Capcom, at the time, wasn't doing well. Sony stepped in and helped fund and develop SFV. Now, it's your prerogative if you wish to call them liars or not. It's why Bayonetta is now Nintendo exclusive. And while people would like that to be multiplat, it's understandable why it's not.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Uh, you mean #ConsoleWarriorCommunity. Not all console users give a crap about either of those exclusive deals. But since you brought up Rise, the funniest part about that whole ordeal to me was when PS users across the Internet’s would complain because Tomb Raider shouldn’t get a timed exclusive deal, it’s a franchise associated with PlayStation. But they ignored that the only reason it’s associated with PlayStation is because of a timed exclusive deal in the 90’s lol

I can’t imagine a majority of Xbox users giving a shit about this game though, and certainly not to the extent we saw with Rise. Who knows when this is even coming out. X|S users could be deep into exclusive Starfield and TES6 by then.

Man, good point. Well...except for the fact that the OG TR launched on Saturn first. Then launched on PS1 and PC afterwards, seeing the vast majority of sales there. By the time the sequel came out the Saturn's fate was etched in stone. And every entry after that launched on PS1 and PC on the same day.

People need to just accept that the vast majority of third party exclusives on PS1 were not because Sony was moneyhatting games. It was a combination of being the first popular disc-based console, which meant CG cutscenes, larger worlds, and better music, and also Nintendo's poor third party policies. But, as soon as more disc-based consoles were launched, miraculously Tomb Raider went full multiplat, even though Sony had way more money to do these supposed exclusive deals.

Uh... they signed an exclusive deal for the games after TR1.

https://core-design.com/article45.html

You’re welcome for the education. Also, that deal sucked for gamers because the Saturn version of TR was superior. TR2 could have been the same. 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

No one gave a shit about rise , stop lying.

People Are Pissed That Tomb Raider Is An Xbox Exclusive (kotaku.com)

Death Threats Have No Place in the Console Wars (gameindustry.com)

Tomb Raider Writer Attacked over Xbox Exclusivity | N4G

Yup.

DonFerrari said:

Nope, the problem in Risen besides being a stablished franchise that was almost finished as a multiplat and got poached was mainly MS marketing trying to hide it was temporary and not allowing dev to say for how long.

Google

"Tomb Raider is a 1996 action-adventure video game developed by Core Design and published by Eidos Interactive. It was first released on the Sega Saturn, followed shortly by versions for MS-DOS and the PlayStation."

Yup. So its okay for Sony to Poach TR from the very beginning signing deals for TR2 onwards, shafting Nintendo, Sega and others but when MS do it only for a year against Sony, its bad. That's the logic i am getting out of all this. Its typical console fanboy nonsense, as long as it suits their platform they don't care, the moment the shoe is on the other foot, they whinge out loud and threaten developers and cry online. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 08 December 2020

This is a very Game Pass kind of game, so I'll wait for the complete edition down the line anyway. But it's intersting that they are being very upfront about how long until it appears in other platforms, I hope it doesn't backfire.

Well Sony has to react to lozing Bethesda somehow, so appearently they moneyhat everything Square Enix brings out.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Don said

The Fury said:

Why would Sony spend money to time exclusive something that is completely unproven? Could be a pile of crap?

Maybe there's more to it than splashin cash like they are helping with dev?

Would you prefer Sony snagged The Evil Within 3 instead? With a new IP is there is little room to get up in arms over it. There's no personal investment from any gamer in a new IP.

or the game was having development issues. 

You have to remember that somehow it is worse that Sony pick a new IP that no one knows will be good or sell well and pay for it to have timed exclusivity than MS buying in a single year 15 studios and keeping the whole portfolio forever. Get on with times.

And of course Sony picking up this timed exclusivity will force MS answer into buying another 8 studios.

It’s a very simple argument: Don’t treat a 1st party and 3rd party the same. 

One is obligated (for the most part) to make games for their owner. The other has no hard ties to anybody and therefore their games are multiplatform. 

Anybody being salty over Bethesda holds the same weight as me complaining Uncharted isn’t on Xbox. Doesn’t matter how you get there: you become first party you aren’t 3rd. Expectations suddenly change. 

So yes, it is worse Sony locks a multiplat 3rd party game for 2 years which is unheard of. Again I say just buy the studio and make it legit. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:

Of course it matters if it was announced as a multiplat first. You trying to stretch the mental gymnastics so it doesn't shows your own bias. It's why no one is pissed at The Medium or Scorn being timed exclusives for XSX. They're new IP, but, more importantly, they were announced as timed exclusives. I'll have to go into the threads for those games and see if you railed against MS/publishers for those. And precious Sony? Lol, good one.

Azzanation said:

Whats even funnier or worse, depends which way you look at it, is when Rise came out, every one blew a gasket, than shortly after SFV was announced as a FULL exclusive and everyone was perfectly fine with it. Even went on the defence claiming that SFV wouldnt exist if Sony didnt give them money, the same logic which applied for Rise to release and only for a Timed deal.

Crazy that a stolen Timed game is worse than a stolen Permanent game. 

#The Console community.

It wasn't some theory gamers came up with. Capcom said as much. Capcom, at the time, wasn't doing well. Sony stepped in and helped fund and develop SFV. Now, it's your prerogative if you wish to call them liars or not. It's why Bayonetta is now Nintendo exclusive. And while people would like that to be multiplat, it's understandable why it's not.

Man, good point. Well...except for the fact that the OG TR launched on Saturn first. Then launched on PS1 and PC afterwards, seeing the vast majority of sales there. By the time the sequel came out the Saturn's fate was etched in stone. And every entry after that launched on PS1 and PC on the same day.

People need to just accept that the vast majority of third party exclusives on PS1 were not because Sony was moneyhatting games. It was a combination of being the first popular disc-based console, which meant CG cutscenes, larger worlds, and better music, and also Nintendo's poor third party policies. But, as soon as more disc-based consoles were launched, miraculously Tomb Raider went full multiplat, even though Sony had way more money to do these supposed exclusive deals.

You’re welcome for the education. Also, that deal sucked for gamers because the Saturn version of TR was superior. TR2 could have been the same. 

They must have paid them about tree fiddy for that deal. Saturn was already dead by 1997, when TR2 released. There's no way they were wasting time developing on that system. 

Looking into it, it seems they were going to use a 3D accelerator cartridge to help push it past the first entry, because the Saturn couldn't handle the expanded sequel.  However, the cartridge was cancelled by Sega, most likely because of poor Saturn sales. So, yea, the Saturn wasn't going to get the sequels, anyway.

shikamaru317 said:
Qwark said:

Well Sony has to react to lozing Bethesda somehow, so appearently they moneyhat everything Square Enix brings out.

Technically these hats were all made before the MS-Bethesda deal was ever announced, though I suppose it's possible that Sony knew about it months in advance. Athia, Deathloop, and Ghostwire Tokyo were all hatted by Sony many months ago, as was FF7 Remake last year (they may have even signed a multi year deal to get timed on FF7 Remakes "sequels" as well. Then they also grabbed FF16 timed exclusivity recently, I think before the Bethesda deal was announced publicly. It was even rumored that they were trying to hat Bethesda's Starfield back in June, MS' acquisition of Bethesda seemingly prevented that hat deal.

But yeah, Sony definitely does need these hat deals to counter Microsoft's ever growing 1st party, which will be at 24 studios (and 30+ individual teams within those studios) once the Bethesda deal closes, with MS still planning to acquire more studios. They could acquire or open more studios of their own, and they may do just that, but PS leadership may be having trouble convincing the Sony leadership at large to spend big money on huge acquisitions like Xbox has been doing. We'll have to wait and see what happens I guess.

Sony never acquires studio's quickly usually they form a long therm partnership. When the partnership is beneficial enough Sony wants to acquire the studio. There are some exceptions of course. But acquiring Suckerpunch and Insomniac took a long while. But if the Square Enix games sell well enough I can defenitely see Sony buying Square. Same goes fir From Software, which games they will still release on pc. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

thismeintiel said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

They must have paid them about tree fiddy for that deal. Saturn was already dead by 1997, when TR2 released. There's no way they were wasting time developing on that system. 

Looking into it, it seems they were going to use a 3D accelerator cartridge to help push it past the first entry, because the Saturn couldn't handle the expanded sequel.  However, the cartridge was cancelled by Sega, most likely because of poor Saturn sales. So, yea, the Saturn wasn't going to get the sequels, anyway.

Of course Saturn wasn’t getting sequels, Sony paid to make Tomb Raider a console exclusive. Which made all the fuss from people upset about a timed exclusive Xbox Tomb Raider deal, rather ironic. And now we’ve come full circle.

Im not someone who cares about these kinds of deals. If the publisher wants to lose out on other user bases, fine. Anyone who has issue with this, just vote with your wallets. 

DonFerrari said:

Don, not sure if you are with the times on this one, however when MS buys studios they aren't entirely forced exclusives or not guaranteed anyway, we have seen examples of this. Now if Sony brought Zenimax, you could bet your entire house and family that Sony would keep everything as a forced PS exclusive. MS have not ruled out future Bethesda games coming to PS or Nintendo for that matter.

The 2nd point is quite easy to avoid, stop poking the bear and they wont have to buy more studios. Doesn't Sony have a good portfolio of 1st party developers and games? Why do they need to lock up 3rd party games for there system if they have a monster library of games and studios to work with??