By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Project Athia is a PS5 console exclusive (Will come out on PC day 1 but on other platforms in 24 months)

Tagged games:

Which platform will you be getting Project Athia on?

Playstation 5 35 59.32%

PC 13 22.03%

Waiting for other platforms 11 18.64%

Total:59
shikamaru317 said:
Hynad said:

How do Japanese games play compared to western made games?

JRPG's tend to play quite different compared to WRPG's, and not just because more JRPG's tend to be turn based than WRPG's, even the action JRPG's have a distinct gameplay style that is different from action WRPG's. Take some action WRPG's like Fable 2, Witcher 3, or Skyrim and compare them to action JRPG's like Tales of, FF7 Remake, and Kingdom Hearts. The action JRPG's all have a distinct style, often consisting of flashier attack animations than you see in WRPG's, even though they play differently from one another. And of course JRPG's also typically have a distinct art style, rather it be anime based artwork or a more realistic but still distinctly Japanese style like you see in Final Fantasy.

But Athia doesn't seem to have that Japanese-ness, especially in terms of the art design, at least from what we've seen so far between the Athia reveal trailer and the Luminous engine tech demo from last year, which seemed to feature the Athia main character:

Would have much preferred if they turned Agni's philosophy into their next game personally.

But hey, that's just me, I'm sure many will still enjoy Athia. Maybe it will even evolve into something I like more, it does seem quite early in development still, so much could change before release.

For what it's worth, I also wasn't really feeling what they showed of FF16, it also seemed a bit more western influenced than what I've come to expect from Final Fantasy. Also would have preferred an Agni's Philosophy based FF16 compared to the one we seem to be getting. 

Western games are typically worse at action melee combat than Japanese games. The first JRPGs were action combat and WRPG was turn-based. Tho FFXV combat is shit so not a good example. As a rule but always exceptions. Japanese action combat has more depth and more about deep combo systems with the ability to cancel attacks as well. It's more skill-based. It's more frame specific. A lot of western melee is more about completing the animation (the same issue in FFXV) It's more basic. Mashy.

FFXV combat was about flash but little substance. Been a couple of years since I had the game in my PS4 but I did platinum it. The game was so focused on completing an animation than being functional. So if this is anything like XV it's just going to be pretty but a slog to play.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
ice said:

2 Years? That’s so vile lol I can’t help but to think back on the outrage for the Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity deal. SE will do anything for the bag.

I'd say there's a pretty big difference. This is a new IP that was never announced as multiplat, but will launch on PC. Rise of the Tomb Raider was announced as multiplat and the first one sold the most on the PS3/PS4. It was snatched up by MS so they would have something to compete against PS4 and Uncharted. And a PC version wasn't released til months later. 

Does it matter if it was announced? FFXVI, FFVII, and this would certainly be multiplat. I’m not even coming at your precious Sony, my point was that SE has shown time and time again to put money over their consumers. I don’t blame MS and Sony for trying to make their platforms appealing. Only if everyone showed  a fraction of the outrage that Rise of the Tomb Raider got maybe these deals with big publishers wouldn’t be as common. 

Sony has secured every big game from SE recently. FFVIIR, FFXVI and Project Athia. They must be happy with the results of the arrangement.

I loved FFXV, and I'm definitely looking forward for this. I just hope they deliver a full story this time in one game. No more of butchering a story into many forms of media like they did with FFXV (Movie, anime, dlc, novel). FFXV story was spread too thin. The likable main cast of characters were the saving grace of the story for me.

I don't really buy SE games day 1/month 1 anymore, so I'll just keep an eye on it near release and make a decision based on the PC version.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Funny to see that a game to be considered Japanese or without western influence can't try to go for realism when Gran Turismo was always all about being as close to real as possible since PS1, Donkey Kong used techniques already in SNES to make it look more real and even though not being developed inside a first party of Nintendo it was a second party with very strong ties to Nintendo and using their IP. So using the odd point that would be on PS3 japanese devs taking a longer time to get used to HD gaming would be silly. Final Fantasy also tried to go for realism in graphics at least ever since FFIX and some would claim even FFVII. Having cartoonic graphics or exaggerated facial expression isn't what make a game japanese, that would make it anime like at most. I guess japanese samurai movies were too western as well since they used techniques the western used on movies as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Thats a hell of a long time. Might as well not release at all, game would have lost all relevance by then. Unless is going straight to gamepass as I see nobody buying that on xbox after so long.

OP. PS5 for me. Very rarely do I wait on games like that. If its a game I know I would like or seems interesting I will buy day one, even if you tell me better version is coming later or cheaper or complete. Only exceptions I have made have been turn base rpgs coming late for switch. DQ11 seems pointless to play in HD on ps4pro so I waiting for the switch.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

twintail said:

24 months is a long time. I wonder if Sony cash helped save a dying game. Seems weirdly longer than usual.

Might not just be cash, seems like Japanese centric games are not well receive in the xbox community. I know ps4 was 2.5 x1 but the sales gap was much larger in Japanese centric games. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Wonder how much Gaben had to pay for that exclusivity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

ice said:

Does it matter if it was announced? FFXVI, FFVII, and this would certainly be multiplat. I’m not even coming at your precious Sony, my point was that SE has shown time and time again to put money over their consumers. I don’t blame MS and Sony for trying to make their platforms appealing. Only if everyone showed  a fraction of the outrage that Rise of the Tomb Raider got maybe these deals with big publishers wouldn’t be as common. 

Whats even funnier or worse, depends which way you look at it, is when Rise came out, every one blew a gasket, than shortly after SFV was announced as a FULL exclusive and everyone was perfectly fine with it. Even went on the defence claiming that SFV wouldnt exist if Sony didnt give them money, the same logic which applied for Rise to release and only for a Timed deal.

Crazy that a stolen Timed game is worse than a stolen Permanent game. 

#The Console community.

Azzanation said:
ice said:

Whats even funnier or worse, depends which way you look at it, is when Rise came out, every one blew a gasket, than shortly after SFV was announced as a FULL exclusive and everyone was perfectly fine with it. Even went on the defence claiming that SFV wouldnt exist if Sony didnt give them money, the same logic which applied for Rise to release and only for a Timed deal.

Crazy that a stolen Timed game is worse than a stolen Permanent game. 

#The Console community.

Uh, you mean #ConsoleWarriorCommunity. Not all console users give a crap about either of those exclusive deals. But since you brought up Rise, the funniest part about that whole ordeal to me was when PS users across the Internet’s would complain because Tomb Raider shouldn’t get a timed exclusive deal, it’s a franchise associated with PlayStation. But they ignored that the only reason it’s associated with PlayStation is because of a timed exclusive deal in the 90’s lol

I can’t imagine a majority of Xbox users giving a shit about this game though, and certainly not to the extent we saw with Rise. Who knows when this is even coming out. X|S users could be deep into exclusive Starfield and TES6 by then.