By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Project Athia is a PS5 console exclusive (Will come out on PC day 1 but on other platforms in 24 months)

Tagged games:

Which platform will you be getting Project Athia on?

Playstation 5 35 59.32%

PC 13 22.03%

Waiting for other platforms 11 18.64%

Total:59

Looks like I will be buying it on PC

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

People like to note that Sony doesn't have enough money to buy entire publishers, so this is the result. Many timed or full exclusives.

2 Years? That’s so vile lol I can’t help but to think back on the outrage for the Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity deal. SE will do anything for the bag.

If I ever get interested in buying this game, I'd get it on the PS5, so this wouldn't affect me. Still, these third party exclusivities suck even if they are timed (2 years is a lot tho), at least it's coming to PC too.

Poll: probably none. If its any good, I'll have plenty to play until it hits GamePass

Around the Network

They keep poking the bear with these deals.

shikamaru317 said:

Honestly not interested in this game. Luminous seems far too influenced by western games on this one. If I want to play a westernized game I will play a western game, I expect my Japanese games to look and play like Japanese games.

Hopefully FF16 is only 1 year timed, same as FF7 Remake.

How do Japanese games play compared to western made games?

ice said:

2 Years? That’s so vile lol I can’t help but to think back on the outrage for the Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity deal. SE will do anything for the bag.

I'd say there's a pretty big difference. This is a new IP that was never announced as multiplat, but will launch on PC. Rise of the Tomb Raider was announced as multiplat and the first one sold the most on the PS3/PS4. It was snatched up by MS so they would have something to compete against PS4 and Uncharted. And a PC version wasn't released til months later. 

shikamaru317 said:

JRPG's tend to play quite different compared to WRPG's, and not just because more JRPG's tend to be turn based than WRPG's, even the action JRPG's have a distinct gameplay style that is different from action WRPG's. Take some action WRPG's like Fable 2, Witcher 3, or Skyrim and compare them to action JRPG's like Tales of, FF7 Remake, and Kingdom Hearts. The action JRPG's all have a distinct style, often consisting of flashier attack animations than you see in WRPG's, even though they play differently from one another. And of course JRPG's also typically have a distinct art style, rather it be anime based artwork or a more realistic but still distinctly Japanese style like you see in Final Fantasy.

But Athia doesn't seem to have that Japanese-ness, especially in terms of the art design, at least from what we've seen so far between the Athia reveal trailer and the Luminous engine tech demo from last year, which seemed to feature the Athia main character:

Would have much preferred if they turned Agni's philosophy into their next game personally.

But hey, that's just me, I'm sure many will still enjoy Athia. Maybe it will even evolve into something I like more, it does seem quite early in development still, so much could change before release.

For what it's worth, I also wasn't really feeling what they showed of FF16, it also seemed a bit more western influenced than what I've come to expect from Final Fantasy. Also would have preferred an Agni's Philosophy based FF16 compared to the one we seem to be getting. 

You didn’t specify JRPGs, you simply mentioned the word games. 
But if we stick to JRPGs, would you consider the Souls series of games to be westernized? Even though it basically created its own genre of games? 
And can’t Japanese games embrace more realistic visuals, or do they have to stick to anime or “exaggerated” styles? If the game is made by a developer in japan, it’s a japanese game. Simple as that. 

Did you play Hollow Knight or Ori? Do you dismiss those western dev games because they’re using the Metroid blue print? 

Last edited by Hynad - on 08 December 2020

DonFerrari said:

That is a massive exclusivity time.

Not really Resident Evil Zero was exclusive to Nintendo consoles for almost 14 years.  From November 12, 2002 until January 19, 2016.