By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Scalpers are struggling to sell next gen hardware

Damn, it looks like more scalpers scalped for the PS5 than people that bought the Series X/S!

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

Sony and MS dont expect to meet demand until April. These resellers will be fine.

After Christmas I can't see a lot of people lining up to buy a 1,000 system from a scalper.  I see these dropping in price on ebay early next year.  Anyone that lacks patience and wants to buy one go for it.  Most people can and should have the willpower to buy one when more games are available sometime next year.

Barkley said:

The cheapest PlayStation I can find on ebay is £700 (digital edition), literally double it's retail price. If scalpers are having any trouble selling it's only because they charge so much.

"Both the XSX and PS5 suffer from this same issue where both have sold out in record time and sold record numbers, but the harder question is, did the stock actually sell this fast or was it a simple transition moving from one warehouse to another?"

If scalpers didn't exist they would have all sold to actual consumers.

Although I agree that the prices are ridiculously high. I believe the main reason they are not selling them is because of the economy. We had a booming economy pre-covid and if we were still on it people would feel more secure about spending. Sadly there's still a lot of uncertainty and scalpers are getting screwed over which you could see as a positive since they will have at some point have to lower it to regular price just to recoup their money. 

rapsuperstar31 said:
jason1637 said:

Sony and MS dont expect to meet demand until April. These resellers will be fine.

After Christmas I can't see a lot of people lining up to buy a 1,000 system from a scalper.  I see these dropping in price on ebay early next year.  Anyone that lacks patience and wants to buy one go for it.  Most people can and should have the willpower to buy one when more games are available sometime next year.

Yeah I doubt the consoles will still be going for 900-1000. They will probably drop to 700 which is still like a $160 return. 

It's anecdotal, but I am already seeing prices drop on sites like Craigslist and OfferUp. The prices are still fucking dumb, but they aren't as bad as they were at launch. When my XSX preorder got canceled, I was checking local sites for prices and the cheapest I could find was $1200 for an X. Same for PS5. Now they're all $800-1000, a couple go over $1,000 but they are bundles with extra stuff.

My view on it has always been that I'd be willing to pay cost, plus tax, plus maybe $50 extra max. It will be awhile before prices drop that much. Luckily I found a Target that had gotten 30 in stock one morning and I was number 29. When I'd called the store, he said they had sold 4. It took me about 40 minutes to drive there and if I'd had gotten there 30 seconds later, I'd have been out of luck. They went super fast.

I don't know if the demand and rarity for these consoles match the Wii, though. Maybe the 360, as well? Those were hard as fuck to find.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:

Damn, it looks like more scalpers scalped for the PS5 than people that bought the Series X/S!

What makes you say this?

I have a secret way to geta PS5 easy at retail price.

Wait a few months. It's surprisingly effective!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Let them price them at list price...and watch these things sell in seconds.

People aren't as stupid anymore, how many people today are really going to buy a PS5/SX for 2- 3x its price just because they can't wait while knowing full well they are buying from a scalper.

Shiken said:

I hope they all loss money on them. I don't even want them to break even.

I think a lot of of them, if not most, will do win a bit. As months go by and the prices gradually drop due to the increase availability of systems on retail level, they will cash in off those few units they managed to sell over the regular asking price, and eventually they'll sell the remaining stock at normal price. That's what I'd do, I know more than anyone would be willing to spend 600 for a machine if they're so desperate for one. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Good, the more people refuse to buy from scalpers the less of an issue they become. Let them all lose money on their greed.

Ebay comes with over CAD 2000 for the ps5 here, 35 bids, insane
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Sealed-PS5-Playstation-5-Console-Standard-Disc-Version-IN-HAND-READY-TO-SHIP/254790828946?epid=19040936896&hash=item3b52b78392:g:cbAAAOSwH-BfsMq6
You still have 45 minutes to out bid!

Series X about half the price but still just over CAD 1000, idiots buying it for those prices.