By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UnCHaRTeD DRaKe'S FoRTuNe.. is HoT

albionus said:

Wait, Uncharted is supposed to be the PS3's huge system seller? Another thread has Warhawk touted as that game, and wasn't it supposed to be Lair a week or so ago, and Heavenly Sword a couple weeks before that, and LBP a couple weeks before that, ..., and Motorstorm a couple weeks before that, and Resistence before that? I'm getting confused, which game is it? Or would the assumption that it's whatever piece of eyecandy has pics/videos/demos released that week be correct?

Yes, all of those games will sell systems, and that is a very incomplete list. Resistance was the only great game at launch, so of course it helped. Motorstorm was there for the Europe launch, so of course it helped there. All those other games will help sell the console. Good point.

You must be an xbox fan, that only has 1 game that sold the console (ok, 2, but same series). 

Around the Network
windbane said:
albionus said:

Wait, Uncharted is supposed to be the PS3's huge system seller? Another thread has Warhawk touted as that game, and wasn't it supposed to be Lair a week or so ago, and Heavenly Sword a couple weeks before that, and LBP a couple weeks before that, ..., and Motorstorm a couple weeks before that, and Resistence before that? I'm getting confused, which game is it? Or would the assumption that it's whatever piece of eyecandy has pics/videos/demos released that week be correct?

Yes, all of those games will sell systems, and that is a very incomplete list. Resistance was the only great game at launch, so of course it helped. Motorstorm was there for the Europe launch, so of course it helped there. All those other games will help sell the console. Good point.

You must be an xbox fan, that only has 1 game that sold the console (ok, 2, but same series). 

Another, I'll be generous, near miss there windbane .  Of course it's an outwardly incomplete list, hence the "LBP, ..., Motorstorm".  I didn't feel like listing every single game Sony fanboys have claimed will sell the PS3, just enough to get he general point across that there are a lot of them.  Sort of like grasping for straws one could say.  Well if Resistence and Motorstrom "sold" PS3's then you're supported my belief that most of those games won't sell the PS3.  1 or 2 may to a limited degree (it is still going to be a $400-600 system we are talking about after all) but it's way too early to know which will.  I'm not sure about the Xbox fan part, I liked the original one and the current one is cool enough though the high price and poor quality/customer service are keeping me away for the time being.  Halo 3 will still be there whenever MS figures out how to make a cheaper non-shoddy product.

Sorry for going OT, but does the op have a broken caps key? Its really annoying, thats all

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

soccerdrew17 said:

what is wrong with you?!?!?!?!?!  all jaks were awesome, except jak x which was good.

uncharted does not have an identity crisis, it is all of those things.  knowing naughty dog they will make everything really sharp and polished, but it does need work.  this game can have a lot of mainstream appeal and everyone has basically been praising it, saying that with work it will be great.  i think this will be the ps3 big game this fall, yes bigger than kz2.  I'll i can say is that this is my biggest game of the year and im just waiting waiting waiting for more info.

Jak 1 was awesome. Funny, great gameplay, nice univers...

Jak 2 lost the ID of the first one, trading that beautifull univers (which was, at some point, very Uncharted-like with lost ruins) into a very classic and repetitive dark one, but was still good with a solid gameplay.

Jak 3 lost the humor, carry on with the same boring dark univers and beyond a fancy start, it was crap. Moving back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth into the city was utterly boring. Don't try to do GTA when you don't understand what's make it good. Going back again, and again and again through the same levels because "hu-ho, you can now access this new platform" make it even more repetitive.

JaK X... Somewhere between Mario Kart and Twisted Metal, but not as good. Do they really needed to do that ?

Somewhat not very surprising the serie was loosing around 800 000 players with each episode, until Jak X which diden't even do 1 million units.

Sorry but ND need to proove it can still do a good game, especially since Rubin left. May Uncharted be this game, but I doubt people will buy it blindly on ND's name (for those who knows it).

Reason jak>ja2>ja3 lost customers was it became more mature each time. No longer a kiddy platformer like the first one. Jak 3 was best, weapons gameplay Vehicle controls missions. Light and dark Jak was freaking cool.

Around the Network

agreed.  i started at jak 2 and absolutely loved it.  going back to jak 1 was fun, but not as awesome to me.   jak 2&3 literally made the console for me (plus kingdom hearts).  i would say that jak 3 was the best overall, but 2 was just so much better than 1 that jumping to 3 from 2 wasnt as great.  i love the characters and would go to naughty dog myself and beg for one if i could get it (even in 3 years). 

i personally think that they are making a new one based off of the uncharted engine.  i could definately see it going that way.  they could be similar to insomniac with 2 franchises.  and best of all i would get ratchet one year and jak the next or even closer together.  1.5 difference between each would be the best.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

1.5 years between each sequel*

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Blue3 said:
Reason jak>ja2>ja3 lost customers was it became more mature each time. No longer a kiddy platformer like the first one. Jak 3 was best, weapons gameplay Vehicle controls missions. Light and dark Jak was freaking cool.

Dark and mature are two different things. The story wasen't deeper or suddenly talking about adult stuff, neither were the characters. It was just a darker univers, pretty much like POP Warrior Within compare to POP SOT. And in Jak2 case, the art used was just generic. Your average futuristic dark city seens in many games.... whohooo. At least, indeed the gameplay was good.

More stuff in Jak3 ? Right. Good stuff ? I don't think so. Bad pace, arsenal coming from Ratchet, useless GTA Hub approach...

What's obvious is that the serie lost itself, leaning more and more toward Ratchet shooting approach, but in a less efficient and original way. Might be the reason Ratchet remained stable and ended up with more sales than Jak...

I though that Jak 3 was the best, with Jak 2 the worst Jak one was so good because it was a traditional platformer, with some great vehicle levels thrown in, with a great enviroment and excellent graphics Jak II went towards a more shooting based game, but did not get the balance right with the platforming, and I wasn't so sure about Haven City Jak III I though that it got the balance between shooting and platforming perfectly, added the Wasteland in, improved on everything, with great vehicle levels, including flying that crimson hell cat (or something like that) around the palace (in the air) was an incredible level I think that Uncharted will be inredible because, from the looks of it, everything is great

add me

Quantum-Tarantino said:
Nope, looks exactly like the type of game i would go nuts over. BUT heres why it wont hit a million. First, its a New IP - Noone knows Uncharted from Adam. Second, its got an identity crisis - Is it a shooter? An indiana jones style adventure? A puzzle solving romp ala zelda? Third, Install base in its target market. - The 360 consolidated most of its market share (unintentionally) in the USA, so when a game doesnt sell in japan, it doesnt matter. With the PS3, it NEEDS Japan AND USA for a bona-Fide Mega hit. Uncharted will be exactly that in Japan, Un-Charted. Fourth, It will be launchnig against STIFF competition - This will be the final nail. Why pay $700 for uncharted, when you already have an X360, and similar games are coming, sure they wont look as pretty, but they dont have to. Why try a NEW game/IP/Genre when you have GTA and Halo, Mario and Metroid. Gears of War launched at the perfect time, Uncharted doesnt have that Luxury.

Why are you assuming this game along with Resistance Heavenly Sword ,Lair will not push systems this Christmas? there is no way this game will not hit 1 million.

"Why pay $700 for uncharted, when you already have a X360 and similar games are coming out" ?

first of all the 360 still has not hit 10 million yet well into its second year I think its safe to say that not every one has a 360. and when you put up the big games out for Christmas on the 2 "next gen Systems" Mario and Metroid are not competeing for the same market so really Mario and Metroid will not take away sales from the more mature looking games.

Lastly you say this game has an Identy crisis then claim that similar games are coming to 360? Which is it you don't know exactly what to class the game in or there will be the same type of game on the 360? If 1 in 3 PS3 owners picked up Resistance then I am sure they will do the same for Uncharted.