By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should console scalping be illegal?

Should PS5/XSX scalping be illegal?

Yes. It's theft. 32 41.03%

No. Muh rites, bruh. 46 58.97%

Total:78
Intrinsic said:
jason1637 said:

Well tbh the main seller is paying their workers less than a dollar an hour in terrible working conditions to make and manufacture these consoles.

I don't get why people say stuff like this. Like, don't you guys get how these things work?

It's not Sony's, Apples, Microsofts...etc business how ay country sets their labor laws. There is a reason everything is made in China these days. You think if Applecouldmaketheir products and pay workers a minimum wage equivalent to chinas minimum-wage in the States they wouldn't make them in the states?

The minimum wage in china averages out to around $200/month. That's set by their government. A company sets up manufacturing facilities (foxcom) and sony and co secure manuacturing contracts. If anyone is to be doing anything? it's the government, but there is a reason they don't.

Not saying this good, just saying if people are gonna take on this "woke" stuff...then point the fingers in the right direction.

I totally understand how it works. Im just saying if were gonna bring in the morality of resellers and act like Sony/Microsoft are victims of this then we gotta look at who these companoes are victimizing also.

Around the Network

I'd rather have the government to invest the time and resources into far more important things.

Honeslty, whats the harm? Let them make a few extra bucks. Isnt there a saying in english, ya snooze ya lose?

我是广州人

Just don't buy from them and let them sit with their 3500 PS5 consoles...let's see if they have a lot of fun losing a lot of money.

So I think the consensus in this thread is that yes, scalping is indeed seen as an ugly practice by many, but illegalising it might be too much of a deal because a) there will be workarounds and b) 'weaker' countermeasures might be much more effective.

I don't think that we can blame the people who buy from scalpers here, though. I understand that video games and consoles are unnecessary luxury items, but especially during these times when people need to spend more time at home it's the entertainment industry that's booming quite a lot. As strange as it may sound but the video game market has benefitted from the pandemic. That is one reason why the demand is high. Another thng is that the prospect of owning these consoles creates desires and emotions. If you ever attended a marketing course you'll learn that emotions are a main driver of an items' demand, and we all know that video games can create enormous emotional attachments. So of course the current marketing campaigns are trying to evoke the people's emotional responses. They always have been doing that. So in conclusion, I can understand why someone who was really looking forward to buy a XSX or a PS5 is extremely dissapointed and frustrated if he can't find one regularly, and then considers buying it a higher price instead.

If you happen to be one of the more reasonable people who has a better self-control then bravo, I applaud you, but I think it's clear that not all people are like that. It's also not appropriate to laugh at those buyers and make fun of them. These people are not stupid, like someone might think, they are merely frustrated.

Around the Network

Intrinsic said:

The minimum wage in china averages out to around $200/month. That's set by their government. A company sets up manufacturing facilities (foxcom) and sony and co secure manuacturing contracts. If anyone is to be doing anything? it's the government, but there is a reason they don't.

Not saying this good, just saying if people are gonna take on this "woke" stuff...then point the fingers in the right direction.

Of course the right direction is the company. the minimum wage is the MINIMUM wage, but companies can pay more than the minimum if they want

They don't because companies don't have ethics, period. There is absolutely no debate here, it's something pro capitalists need to accept and move on 

I don't even know what are you trying to paint here implying governments are responsible for the low salaries, they aren't 

If a third word country start to increase the wages it will lead to inflation, but let's pretend it won't, if they raise minimum wages manufacturing industry will just move out and found another country to produce their goods, that's how those industries end up in China in first place, it was cheaper there  

IcaroRibeiro said:

Of course the right direction is the company. the minimum wage is the MINIMUM wage, but companies can pay more than the minimum if they want

They don't because companies don't have ethics, period. There is absolutely no debate here, it's something pro capitalists need to accept and move on 

I don't even know what are you trying to paint here implying governments are responsible for the low salaries, they aren't 

If a third word country start to increase the wages it will lead to inflation, but let's pretend it won't, if they raise minimum wages manufacturing industry will just move out and found another country to produce their goods, that's how those industries end up in China in first place, it was cheaper there  

This is total nonsense.

Basically, this is what you are saying...

I own a manufacturing company in china, it's called VG manufacturing. I make electronics for over 20 different companies. I pay MY workers minimum wage. 

Now what you are saying, is that companies like apple/sony/MS should come to me and go; " while we get that you are abiding by your country's laws, we refuse to do business with you unless you pay your workers more money than you are paying them". 

Does that make any sense to you? When there are other Chinese based companies making similar products and even other companies patronizing me at my minimum-wage based rates. Pls... so you want these companies to price themselves out of the market?

Every single damn thing that is made in China is made there for this exact reason, it gives companies a competitive advantage.

And I am sorry if I sound upset, but this kinda shit irritates the hell outta me. Nothing I hate more than people trying to act, look or sound smart/informed with a backbone of blatant ignorance. And yes...governments ARE responsible for the low salaries. If the government set the minimum wage at $500/month? Then companies like foxcon would have to pay its workers $500/month. Which in turn would mean it would cost everyone more to make shit in China, and they would just go to India or something. And make no mistake, the Chinese government knows this. China became a world superpower off the back of cheap labor after all.

Like what am I reading...so you guys really think it's on these companies to insist to pay more than what the company they are sub-contracting to make their products is paying its own workers? Like are you guys kidding me? Lol... And yet, the fucking consumers would sooner buy a $400 console but would refuse to buy a $600 one? Or a $5 HDMI cable and not a $50 one? Fucking hypocrisy on the worst level lol.

dorron said:

Just don't buy from them and let them sit with their 3500 PS5 consoles...let's see if they have a lot of fun losing a lot of money.

How long do you think it took her to sell all of that crap lol

Absolutely should not be illegal. I don't blame scalpers, I blame people willing to pay 200%+ MSRP, given they are creating a market in which scalpers are responding too. Nobody needs a console day 1 nor in the first few months. If people would wait and stop feeding scalpers, the problem would go away.  The whole scalping issue is a two way street, with many folks here focusing only on one of the streets.  

"Again, they already do this and for good reason: it's illegal to scalp tickets (baseball, concert, whatever) and it doesn't rob you of nearly as much money as these console scalpers currently are."

You keep mentioning this but it is apples versus oranges.  Something like Hamilton has a very finite number of shows, which isn't the case with the ps5.  There will be over a hundred million ps5 units throughout it's life.  There isn't going to be a hundred million showings of Hamilton. 

Fact is people who pay $1,000 for a ps5 are dictating market value, that is on them, not the seller.   

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 29 November 2020

The questions I ask myself are: What benefit to society does a scalper bring? Why doesn't Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo arrange policies with retailers (see Newegg) where quantity sold is limited?

I get it; times are tough. People are needy or greedy to the point where they are compelled to do this. But it's a shame that some kids are going to be let down due to an imbalance created from scalping consoles.

PS It gives me satisfaction to hear scalpers are getting robbed now as this is how to define backlash.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch