By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should console scalping be illegal?

Should PS5/XSX scalping be illegal?

Yes. It's theft. 32 41.03%

No. Muh rites, bruh. 46 58.97%

Total:78

I mean retailers can limit it to one per customer and most times they do that. How else you want to punish or limit it.

Voted: No, muh rites bruh. Governments can barely do government stuff well.

Around the Network
green_sky said:

I mean retailers can limit it to one per customer and most times they do that. How else you want to punish or limit it.

There's an abundance of low hanging fruit on Ebay, Amazon, 3rd party sellers on Walmart, etc; Catch them red handed just like hookers on a street corner. 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
green_sky said:

There's an abundance of low hanging fruit on Ebay, Amazon, 3rd party sellers on Walmart, etc; Catch them red handed just like hookers on a street corner. 

Worked so well with the hookers right. While the lawmakers are some of the biggest clients. Portis Head Biscuit, wow. 

Last edited by green_sky - on 01 December 2020

People just need to chill. It's no biggie if you don't get a new toy on the release date. Just wait until it becomes available, it's not the end of the world for crying out loud.
The customer has all the power. If people would just relax and don't pay astronomical prices for new consoles, the problem with scalpers would just go away.

I don't see how you could make a law to prevent this from happening. It's just capitalism after all. We're not even talking about limited goods. You can and will get whatever console you want if you just wait a little for it. So you can't really compare it to baseball tickets or whatever.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Scalping is basically speculating on a good becoming scarce. In some sectors that's illegal (food), but it isn't for consumer electronics.
It should be illegal though.

Around the Network

green_sky said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Portis Head Biscuit, wow. 

It's a great song, check it out

Scalpers are like the folks who hoarded toilet paper during the initial phase of the pandemic. There is no point to it, other than to have more than you need. It's sad that people will pay exorbitant rates for consoles as a result of selfishness.

I like how Sony direct is selling consoles - requiring a PSN ID and only 1 per household as I understand it. Should've sold them all this way, then we could've avoided the scalpers entirely (or at least made it much harder for them to amass a ton of product).

It should be illegal to sell a new product (less than 3 months from release) for higher than MSRP.