By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best 3D Mario subseries

I think the best is...

64/Sunshine/Odyssey 26 41.94%

Galaxy 1/2 29 46.77%

3D Land/World 7 11.29%

Total:62

Even tho Sunshine is a pile of shit. 64/Odyssey are the best 3D games. Mario 64 is still great after 24 years. They encourage me to explore and that's what I love the most in a game is to explore.

Last edited by Leynos - on 28 November 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

You buys are too harsh on Sunshine.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

It's hard to pick. I love 64 and Odyssey, and the open world/semi open world nature of them. Yet I never really got into Sunshine. And even revisiting it on All-stars, it doesn't do much for me and is somewhat irritating actually. 

I like the trippy themes and more chill, laid back, and exhilarating nature of the Galaxy games. They're not particularly complex or tough but in a way that's kinda why I like them - when I'm more in the mood to just kick back with a game. 

3D World I enjoy for the multiplayer. 

I guess overall I'd say the more open-world/exploratory Mario titles are the most enjoyable to me as I tend to gravitate towards the more sandbox-type games. Appreciate the greater freedom of gameplay they offer. It's more in the spirit of the classic Mario games. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

64/Sunshine/Odyssey.

But that’s really because of 64. Galaxy is better than Sunshine and Odyssey, easy, and Galaxy 2 is better than at least Sunshine as well.

EDIT: Obligatory ranking: 64 > Galaxy > Galaxy 2 = 3D Land = Odyssey > 3D World >> Sunshine

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 29 November 2020

Ka-pi96 said:

Tough between 64 and Galaxy. Never played Sunshine/Odyssey so dunno about them. I'd probably give the edge to Galaxy, however only by a slim margin.

3D Land/World I really didn't like. They're trash tier.

If you enjoyed 64 and Galaxy I would definitely recommend playing Odyssey. It combines the former's more open-ended structure with the latter's smoother and more agile mobility and 60fps.

Around the Network

Odyssey is my favorite of the lot by far, even though I love them all except 3D Land/World which I merely think are "good".

So 64/Sunshine/Odyssey is easily my fave.

Close race in the polls.
So it seems the vast majority of voters prefer 3D Mario when it embraces its own identity separate from the 2D line instead of trying to blend the two as in 3D Land/World.
The franchise may have diverged when it made the jump to 3D, but honestly I've always quite liked that; having two different lines that are unique from one another.

Thata tough. For my taste odyssey the best and its not close. Then 3dworld then probably sunshine then galaxy and 64 might be the most overrated game ive played. Theyve made how many mario gamea b4 this and I cant get a goah damn fire flower or equivalent weapon for keepsies??? Lame. Sunshine has flood odyssey has cappy and 3dworld has an item at arms reach most the time. I guess if combat wasnt an issue then the open world like odyssey and sunshine (not 64. Hate being reset after every star) would be my fav.

Of course 64, Sunshine and Odyssey.

Super Mario 3D World was a blast from a level design perspective. And that’s what I enjoy most in Mario games. More so than seeking the next levels through the shallow illusionary open world-ness of the 64 formula titles, which includes Odyssey.

Last edited by Hynad - on 19 December 2020