By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry - Watch Dogs Legions face-off

Tagged games:

TallSilhouette said:
SvennoJ said:

Another game where RT (on consoles) is just meh. The reflections look pretty poor.

Looks pretty good in Spider-Man. A few shots I just took today:

Now that's more like it! The difference between multiplats and exclusives.

Around the Network
Angelv577 said:

Well apparently ubisoft released a update to the ps5 version that made it look worse than it was before. Some people are mad about it. DF is recommending to keep the previous update. Overall considering ps5 is supposed to be the weaker console, any parity is a win for playstation.

That was for assasins creed no? Watch Dogs runs flawlessly on both systems.

DonFerrari said:
SvennoJ said:

Another game where RT (on consoles) is just meh. The reflections look pretty poor.

Sure, it is zoomed in. But what are you going to notice more, this mess or baked reflections that miss some dynamic elements.

"Ray traced reflections - even on the lowest 'medium setting - offer a significant upgrade over consoles, while DLSS is available for PC users to mitigate much of the performance hit." "In my tests, Xbox Series X's output could be matched and even bettered by an RTX 2060 Super" listed as a 7.2tf card. TF isn't everything but aren't consoles supposed to punch above their 'weight' instead of below.

Confused.

Dunno Man. When he says that the RT resolution being 720p checkerboard makes the resolution of the whole look smaller on séries S I would say RT is making a real difference. I think you are to pessimistic about RT because you from start took the instance of It is too soon for RT. Still If no RT was used they would look worse.

AsGryffynn said:

Series X is definitely sharper, but not to the point someone would notice. 

Also, Nvidia. That's all. 

I think that IS Just your impression. DF confirmed that the config file is exactly the same including RT res.

No, it's the placement of the third image. I just took the three and they do throw the same resolution without the Series S. 

The XBox is not showing its power advantage because these are cross gen games made with the weakest common denominator in mind. Not sure why so many find that hard to grasp.

Good parity across platforms, you really can't go wrong with either version if this game interests you.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

JRPGfan said:
Angelv577 said:

Well apparently ubisoft released a update to the ps5 version that made it look worse than it was before. Some people are mad about it. DF is recommending to keep the previous update. Overall considering ps5 is supposed to be the weaker console, any parity is a win for playstation.

That was for assasins creed no? Watch Dogs runs flawlessly on both systems.

Yeah you are right! My bad.

Around the Network
KratosLives said:

But seriously, ray traced reflections and all is way over hyped. They could use conventional rasterization for reflections at a much lower ram/gpu consumption and result on an emotional /brain stimulant level, the same effect.

Not really. That would actually have a higher Impact in the gpu than what they are doing. The RT part of the GPU If not used for RT would be idle and then the work you ask would be on the rest of the gpu and then would make the rest more compromissed.

AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:

Dunno Man. When he says that the RT resolution being 720p checkerboard makes the resolution of the whole look smaller on séries S I would say RT is making a real difference. I think you are to pessimistic about RT because you from start took the instance of It is too soon for RT. Still If no RT was used they would look worse.

AsGryffynn said:

Series X is definitely sharper, but not to the point someone would notice. 

Also, Nvidia. That's all. 

I think that IS Just your impression. DF confirmed that the config file is exactly the same including RT res.

No, it's the placement of the third image. I just took the three and they do throw the same resolution without the Series S. 

Understood, some times our eyes play tricks on us.

Shiken said:

The XBox is not showing its power advantage because these are cross gen games made with the weakest common denominator in mind. Not sure why so many find that hard to grasp.

Good parity across platforms, you really can't go wrong with either version if this game interests you.

Then explain How on the other games that also habe weakest Common denominador (X1) PS5 had a significant advantage in some of them?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Shiken said:

Then explain How on the other games that also habe weakest Common denominador (X1) PS5 had a significant advantage in some of them?

DF deemed CoD Cold War to have the clear advantage with Ray Tracing turned on in visual mode, despite claims of the contrary.  DMCV has the advantage in 3 out of 4 modes.  AC Valhalla now runs better on XSX rather than the PS5 after the patch (compared to both pre patch and post patch).  Visual mode in particular runs a solid and smooth 30 fps at a locked 4k, with no tearing.  Something the PS5 seems to be having trouble with.

Dirt 5 is just poorly optimized, was also the case with Valhalla pre patch.  In fact, it is well known that the devkits for the PS5 have been available since 2019, while the XSX/S devkits had not been released until within 6 months before release.  The Dirt 5 developers themselves even revealed in an interview that until they got the XSX devkit, they were doing their best with a combo of PC and the X1 build to do what they could.

So in short, developers had more time to develop for these games on PS5 and therefore were optimized better overall.  AC Valhalla is a testament to that fact.

But speaking of Valhalla, it clearly also has other issues.  There is no reason for that game to get worse on the PS5 the way it did.  It was clearly rushed for the holiday, as were other games during this pandemic.  Just remember that any excuse for the PS5 being worse post patch (bugs, optimization, etc) can easily be applied to the XSX pre patch as well.  Combine that with the lack of time for proper optimization for the XSX, and you are left with a crap shoot for multiplat comparisons overall.  The way I see it, trying to draw a conclusion under these circumstances more often than not leads to people eating their words later, just like with Cold War and Valhalla.

Last edited by Shiken - on 27 November 2020

Shiken said:

DF deemed CoD Cold War to have the clear advantage with Ray Tracing turned on in visual mode, despite claims of the contrary.  DMCV has the advantage in 3 out of 4 modes.  AC Valhalla now runs better on XSX rather than the PS5 after the patch (compared to both pre patch and post patch).  Visual mode in particular runs a solid and smooth 30 fps at a locked 4k, with no tearing.  Something the PS5 seems to be having trouble with.

Dirt 5 is just poorly optimized, was also the case with Valhalla pre patch.  In fact, it is well known that the devkits for the PS5 have been available since 2019, while the XSX/S devkits had not been released until within 6 months before release.  The Dirt 5 developers themselves even revealed in an interview that until they got the XSX devkit, they were doing their best with a combo of PC and the X1 build to do what they could.

So in short, developers had more time to develop for these games on PS5 and therefore were optimized better overall.  AC Valhalla is a testament to that fact.

But speaking of Valhalla, it clearly also has other issues.  There is no reason for that game to get worse on the PS5 the way it did.  It was clearly rushed for the holiday, as were other games during this pandemic.  Just remember that any excuse for the PS5 being worse post patch (bugs, optimization, etc) can easily be applied to the XSX pre patch as well.  Combine that with the lack of time for proper optimization for the XSX, and you are left with a crap shoot for multiplat comparisons overall.  The way I see it, trying to draw a conclusion under these circumstances more often than not leads to people eating their words later, just like with Cold War and Valhalla.

on cód DF got pointed tô them that was bugs and confirmed It. Só It is perfectly equal except for ps5 having a tiny advantage on 120hz Go and read the thread.

AC Valhalla is your opinion of the patch not the reflection of truth, others have reported that 60fps GoT a New load of bugs without solving the previous issue, only 30fps is locked and would be ridiculous If It wasn't since It doesn't drop bellow 30fps on the 60fps mode. Só you are Just trying to force a Win were there isn't one.

Yes DMC Xbox have an advantage (the tools weren't late for them???)

Dirty 5 dev Said the development was the smoothiest they ever had on Xbox, receiving tools much earlier than ever before. The Interview was posted here, as well as the Colt Eastwood being embarrassed with the answer that both sdk were in similar status.

Sorry but no, you can't turn lack of evidence into evidence. The patch making PS5 version worse doesn't prove anything about Xbox version, at most It gives a probability (that isn't really any different than before).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

on cód DF got pointed tô them that was bugs and confirmed It. Só It is perfectly equal except for ps5 having a tiny advantage on 120hz Go and read the thread.

AC Valhalla is your opinion of the patch not the reflection of truth, others have reported that 60fps GoT a New load of bugs without solving the previous issue, only 30fps is locked and would be ridiculous If It wasn't since It doesn't drop bellow 30fps on the 60fps mode. Só you are Just trying to force a Win were there isn't one.

Yes DMC Xbox have an advantage (the tools weren't late for them???)

Dirty 5 dev Said the development was the smoothiest they ever had on Xbox, receiving tools much earlier than ever before. The Interview was posted here, as well as the Colt Eastwood being embarrassed with the answer that both sdk were in similar status.

Sorry but no, you can't turn lack of evidence into evidence. The patch making PS5 version worse doesn't prove anything about Xbox version, at most It gives a probability (that isn't really any different than before).

No one is trying to force a win here but you.  I am saying results and interviews are far too inconsistent given the facts.  AC Valhalla has bugs on both versions, but the only time you seem to care about them is when they pertain to the PS5.  It actually is sad to see the Playstation fanbase reach so far with these cross gen, unoptimized port.  It just makes it look like that 20% power difference bothers them more than what they claim.

Dev tools for XSX were late, AC results are all over the place and bugs are present in both versions (with XSX currently ahead), CoD is currently better on XSX bugs or not (unless you are willing to conform to similar possibilities on the XSX version in other comparisons), and Dirt 5 is just legitimately gimped on the XSX (likely due to bugs in a lot of spots).

Only out of desperation would anyone try to draw a conclusion from these conditions.  That is MY point, and the only lack of evidence here is anything concrete based on all factors and inconsistent results as patches roll out.

The games were not properly optimized for either console, and therefore a "win" will serve as hollow and a potential outlet to have it backfire later on.

Last edited by Shiken - on 27 November 2020

Shinobi-san said:
KratosLives said:

But seriously, ray traced reflections and all is way over hyped. They could use conventional rasterization for reflections at a much lower ram/gpu consumption and result on an emotional /brain stimulant level, the same effect.

I think if its only used on reflections then yeah it does seem a bit of a waste.

That being said COD's implementation seems to really standout for me, the use of RT shadows brings out a level of detail in every object in the game that i feel it makes a huge difference. Not that I've played it myself though, just going on the DF video. 

I guess it shows how heavy full RT is since devs are picking and choose where to apply it.

I haven't seen the difference, but let's say you played it without ray traced shadows and you were hooked and had your stimuli measured,do you think you would have felt less impressed emotionaly?