By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry - Watch Dogs Legions face-off

Tagged games:

It is basically a wash.

PS5 and Séries X are equal in evertyhing except one bug for each making difference in side by side.

Séries S despise missing some effects and doing some tradeoff holds resolution well with RT being weak making It look lower resolution than It really is.

On performance ALL three are 30fps locked. 60fps version show on the code, but wasn't enabled ar time of face-off.

Per usual they say they don't know why Xbox isn't showing its Power advantage.

https://youtu.be/fzbL7opmXpg

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 26 November 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

As if multiplats are going to be built from the ground up and take advantage of next gen consoles. They will all be quick ports and minor enhancements. i doubt devs will spend more time pushing for more gpu power and such. Series x has a 15% power advantage , but ps5 has slightly better ram performance and it's i/o complex may be more efficient. So we might see this trend of multiplats being the same if not better for ps5.

Another game where RT (on consoles) is just meh. The reflections look pretty poor.

Sure, it is zoomed in. But what are you going to notice more, this mess or baked reflections that miss some dynamic elements.

"Ray traced reflections - even on the lowest 'medium setting - offer a significant upgrade over consoles, while DLSS is available for PC users to mitigate much of the performance hit." "In my tests, Xbox Series X's output could be matched and even bettered by an RTX 2060 Super" listed as a 7.2tf card. TF isn't everything but aren't consoles supposed to punch above their 'weight' instead of below.

Confused.

SvennoJ said:

Another game where RT (on consoles) is just meh. The reflections look pretty poor.

Looks pretty good in Spider-Man. A few shots I just took today:

Its a tie, neither versions have a single fps dip in like 8hours of gameplay or something... image quality and everything is the same too.
(except for some funny bug, with puddles in reflections. Lame Joke? at #puddlegate)

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 27 November 2020

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Sure, it is zoomed in. But what are you going to notice more, this mess or baked reflections that miss some dynamic elements.

"Ray traced reflections - even on the lowest 'medium setting - offer a significant upgrade over consoles, while DLSS is available for PC users to mitigate much of the performance hit." "In my tests, Xbox Series X's output could be matched and even bettered by an RTX 2060 Super" listed as a 7.2tf card. TF isn't everything but aren't consoles supposed to punch above their 'weight' instead of below.

Confused.

Series X is definitely sharper, but not to the point someone would notice. 

Also, Nvidia. That's all. 

SvennoJ said:

Confused.

Dunno Man. When he says that the RT resolution being 720p checkerboard makes the resolution of the whole look smaller on séries S I would say RT is making a real difference. I think you are to pessimistic about RT because you from start took the instance of It is too soon for RT. Still If no RT was used they would look worse.

AsGryffynn said:
SvennoJ said:

Confused.

Series X is definitely sharper, but not to the point someone would notice. 

Also, Nvidia. That's all. 

I think that IS Just your impression. DF confirmed that the config file is exactly the same including RT res.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

But seriously, ray traced reflections and all is way over hyped. They could use conventional rasterization for reflections at a much lower ram/gpu consumption and result on an emotional /brain stimulant level, the same effect.

KratosLives said:

But seriously, ray traced reflections and all is way over hyped. They could use conventional rasterization for reflections at a much lower ram/gpu consumption and result on an emotional /brain stimulant level, the same effect.

I think if its only used on reflections then yeah it does seem a bit of a waste.

That being said COD's implementation seems to really standout for me, the use of RT shadows brings out a level of detail in every object in the game that i feel it makes a huge difference. Not that I've played it myself though, just going on the DF video. 

I guess it shows how heavy full RT is since devs are picking and choose where to apply it.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Well apparently ubisoft released a update to the ps5 version that made it look worse than it was before. Some people are mad about it. DF is recommending to keep the previous update. Overall considering ps5 is supposed to be the weaker console, any parity is a win for playstation.