By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Biggest Console Launch In History!

Congratulations, was expected since they could sell all they could manufacture... waiting on numbers though.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Bandorr said:

Would the "heavily medicated half awake" be the reason you didn't answer my question?

Let me ask it again. You've complained" but your topic title and opening post don't correspond" twice. How do they not relate?

because percocet made me read it very differently. Sorry lol but still the vagine thing is uncalled for. We can do better than that.

Agree the offense and salty aren't needed. But the title and tweeter correspond. At least in my POV.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Shadow1980 said:
Intrinsic said:

I don't think this actually matters.

To me, it all comes down to how much stock is available for the time being tracked. Especially being that in that same tracking window the machine will be out of stock so they are selling as fast as they can be supplied. And the tracking period if comparing launches should e between Nov and say the end of February. so basically 4 months.

I think what we should be really looking at is how much stock (or ales) the PS5 has between launch and the end of February. Then you compare that amount to the same amount that the PS4 sold in that period. Because market priorities shift, stocking patterns shift...etc. Eg. Sony shipped X amount of PS4s to NA or launch, but in the two weeks that followed there was not a single shipment after. They could shi half that amount for NA lanch and have stock coming in readily every week that follows and at the end of the month they still end up with a higher number.

Stock is definitely important, too. I did mention it, if only in passing. Any system, even one that goes on to be a sales disappointment, can have a strong launch if there's adequate stock, and a system that dominates its generation could have a rough launch. We saw this in Gen 6, where the PS2 had a weaker launch than the OXbox and GameCube in the U.S., but still managed majority market share in its generation, even just limiting things to the 2002-2005 period. Likewise, the 360 and Wii both had mediocre launches, but now occupy the #2 and #3 positions for best-selling system ever in the U.S. (and they sold well globally).

Having a good launch is great, but in the long run it doesn't really matter. Regardless of how things turn out for 2020, the PS5 will undoubtedly sell very well. It's a good system with a promising first year.

I guess you skipped the point he wanted to make. It was that since the stock is the constrain with or without Japan and 1 or 2 weeks apart for Europe, then those are kinda irrelevant to discuss how big of a launch it was. It really was just as big as inventory was available, if they didn't launch in Japan and USA and put all the inventory in Europe it would probably had sold out same way.

Congrats! I hope nobody actually wants these things to fail, either of the big 3 really. Sony knows how to put on a good show for their base and we're seeing the fruits of that.

I did my part!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Shadow1980 said:

Stock is definitely important, too. I did mention it, if only in passing. Any system, even one that goes on to be a sales disappointment, can have a strong launch if there's adequate stock, and a system that dominates its generation could have a rough launch. We saw this in Gen 6, where the PS2 had a weaker launch than the OXbox and GameCube in the U.S., but still managed majority market share in its generation, even just limiting things to the 2002-2005 period. Likewise, the 360 and Wii both had mediocre launches, but now occupy the #2 and #3 positions for best-selling system ever in the U.S. (and they sold well globally).

Having a good launch is great, but in the long run it doesn't really matter. Regardless of how things turn out for 2020, the PS5 will undoubtedly sell very well. It's a good system with a promising first year.

I guess you skipped the point he wanted to make. It was that since the stock is the constrain with or without Japan and 1 or 2 weeks apart for Europe, then those are kinda irrelevant to discuss how big of a launch it was. It really was just as big as inventory was available, if they didn't launch in Japan and USA and put all the inventory in Europe it would probably had sold out same way.

Exactly... We can look at the stock in Japan, NA, EU...ROW or align them all we want. But those things don't really matter. The consoles being outstripped by demand regardless. Rumors are suggesting that sony sold ~2.5M PS5 in its worldwide launch week. They could have sent all those units to just NA and they would still have sold out. And sony would still call it their biggest launch ever. As @Shadow1980 said, even consoles that go on to flop can still sell out at launch.

I'll say the same thing that I said for the Switch, let's celebrate however well they are selling based on how much stock they can make, but we wouldn't really know how any of these new consoles are really doing until you can just waltz into a store and pick one up everywhere. At that point, we know the console's sales are no longer dictated by its stock. 

PS5 having the biggest launch, or doing better than the PS4 even in its first 4 months (while great btw), tells us absolutely nothing other than that sony has managed to make more PS5s than they made PS4s because even by February 2014 the PS4 was still supply limited. All these numbers would do now is just show us how quick the uptake is.

The biggest takeaway from this to me though is that $499 is now an acceptable price for a launch console.

Pretty crazy to break that record during the covid pandemic. Quite the achievement.

I still say it sells worse in its lifetime than the PS2 and PS4. But congrats to Sony, I suppose.
I think the momentum from the PS4 and more people staying inside helped make this happen. That and features like PS4 backwards compatibility, an All-Digital Option, and an SSD.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

I still say it sells worse in its lifetime than the PS2 and PS4. But congrats to Sony, I suppose.
I think the momentum from the PS4 and more people staying inside helped make this happen. That and features like PS4 backwards compatibility, an All-Digital Option, and an SSD.

PS2..I can understand. I am really curious to hear what or why you think it sells less than the PS4 though?

Surely... you don't think the Switch will impact its sales, do you? Or is it that the Xbox is going to do a lot better this gen and pull sales from the PS5?

Wman1996 said:

Why are you being such a downer, Wman? Why do you hate happiness?