By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Best Mad Max film?

I think the best is...

Mad Max 4 9.76%

Mad Max 2/The Road Warrior 11 26.83%

Beyond Thunderdome 3 7.32%

Fury Road 23 56.10%

Total:41

The one without the crazy guy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

1) Fury Road
Miller's magnum opus. A brilliant paced and staged action masterpiece with some of the most audacious and delirious stunts committed to film. Plus a powerful redemption story with subtext to spare

2) The Road Warrior
Straightforward but exhilarating nonetheless. A metal-crunching, bone-shattering fetishistic tour-de-force

3) Mad Max
More subtle and subdued than following films, but its low-budget, grimy atmosphere and steely hero work perfectly with a world on the edge of chaos. Probably the most underrated of the lot.

4) Beyond Thunderdome
This one has great sets, costumes, camera work, and plenty of deranged performances, but its storyline wavers a bit, particularly when Miller's version of the Lost Boys take center stage

I've had this conversation with @Machina so he should chime in too :) 

I watched Beyond the Thunderdome as a kid and I hated it so much that it turned me off from the post-apocalyptic genre as a whole. The only reason I watched Fury Road was because I went with my two brothers and they both wanted to see it so I had no choice. I had no idea I was going to enjoy it that much. Definitely my favorite movie that year and one of my favorite action movies ever.

I absolutely loved Fury Road so it sparked interest in watching the original movies. I watched Mad Max and was very disappointed and gave up on watching the others. From the comments here, it seems I should have endured and watched The Road Warrior.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I've had this conversation with @Machina so he should chime in too :) 

Oh, it's Mad Max 2 for sure.

The more interesting question for me is Fury Road vs Beyond Thunderdome. I haven't watched the latter since my teens I don't think, so I'm very much aware that nostalgia may cloud my judgment on Thunderdome. Quite a few entertaining 80s and 90s films that I really loved as a kid simply haven't stood the test of time and have aged badly, but until/unless one goes back and rewatches them one remains in blissful ignorance of that fact. So that may be the case with Thunderdome (though I don't think it is with Mad Max 2 - I bloody hope it isn't anyway!), which makes me wary of putting it ahead of Fury Road.

Fury Road is a great visual spectacle, Immortan Joe and Imperator Furiosa are quite enigmatic, and it has some very cool character and vehicle designs. I do wonder, though, if it's going to face the same fate as those 80s and 90s action films by the time we hit the 2040s; the visual spectacle won't be so spectacular then, the script and dialogue may seem cheesy, the costumes will age, and it'll probably look low tech and low budget. Time will tell.

Anyway, this is how I'd rank them on a 'for their time' basis:

• Mad Max 2
  • Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Mad Max

And I think this is how I'd rank them if I went back and watched them all with a modern mind-set:

• Mad Max 2
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
  • Mad Max

TruckOSaurus said:

I absolutely loved Fury Road so it sparked interest in watching the original movies. I watched Mad Max and was very disappointed and gave up on watching the others. From the comments here, it seems I should have endured and watched The Road Warrior.

The first film is painfully slow compared to the others and there's considerably less visual spectacle and action. Many of the factors that lead to that dullness imo (the film's budget, Max's family, and his job) simply aren't present in the subsequent films.

2 is much stronger, but it's also the one that's most similar to Fury Road in almost every respect, so if you were going to like any of the older ones it'd be Mad Max 2.

1 - Fury Road
2 - Road Warrior
3 - MadMax
4 - Beyond Thunderdome

Fury Road is my favorite, its the best directed, has the best soundtrack and the cinematography is just amazing. The mix of special and practical effects its just mindblowing and its arguably also the best acted, because I dont think anyone has been as good and compelling as Charlize Theron in the entire franchise, not that the acting matters much tbh. 

Road Warrior was THE Mad Max film for me befoe Fury Road. Whenever someone thinks/brings up Mad Max theyre usually thinking about the Road Warrior, the setting, ambience, wacky over the top characters and car chases basically makes the franchise what it is and im all here for it. I simply think Fury Road took each of those elements and made them the best version they can be. Its tacky at time but that just add to its charm I guess. Sadly I cant say that about the following movies. 

Mad Max is fine, a bit underrated, it is a decent revenge flick but doesnt feel post apocalyptic at all, the editing has aged badly tbh, gives the vibe of a B-movie, which I guess its exactly what it is. 

I dont have much respect for Thunderdome, I think its has an good setting, the thunderdome scenes are cool (but have weird sound effects) yet the whole film has a dumb tone to it, like it doesnt take itself serious enough. To me that brings the whole film down a lot because there no tension or excitement, its just big B-movie joy, and I get a lot of people like that, memorable quotes there, but I personally dont care much for it.  And Tina Turner is just awful. Just awful. Her music is alright. 

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 25 November 2020

Jpcc86 said:

[...]not that the acting matters much tbh.[...]

Acting always matters, even for an action film. =P Even if there's only one character in the whole movie and that character has only five seconds of footage with only one line of text, the way that line is delivered, the facial expression, the body language... All that can make a difference.

OT, I saw Fury Road not too long ago and it made want to watch the original trilogy, but I haven't yet. After reading this thread, I'm more curious.

I have periods of social disconnection, it's a part of me that I need and keenly embrace. I'll still log in and read news and threads during those times, but I won't be (very) active on the site, so I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause (late answers, bumps or the like).

Also...

Please, feel free to correct my English.

Fury road by a huge margin. The others vary from very good to mediocre. But fury road is a masterpiece and probably the greatest action film ever made.