By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has Any Game Sold to 30 Million Units as Quickly as Animal Crossing Will?

AC has gotta have the record for an exclusive. Which is far more impressive than these action games that everyone on Xbox, Playstation, and PC buy en masse every year. The numbers on some of these series are just insane, but I guess its just the same people buying the same first/third person shooter by the tens of millions every time a new one comes out haha.



Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
pikashoe said:

I'm surprised the new cod:mw sold so fast. I didn't know people still played cod so much.

They made 3 billion this year the highest amount ever...

That is truly depressing



konnichiwa said:
Dulfite said:

What is the inflation rate this year, just curious? $3 billion from a year from now isn't worth as much as $3 billion now is, and even less than $3billion from a year ago and so on. Also development costs I believe are going up disproportionately.

Call of Duty titles generated over $1.1 billion in revenue in 2019

In 2020ish 3 billion

Activision also said Call of Duty has seen more players than ever before with 200 million in 2020 alone. 

Wow! That is impressive!



dx11332sega said:

Maybe Pokemon red and blue or some other pokemon?

Seems unlikely. Pokemon red/blue's sales would've been spread out a fair bit, especially when you consider the release timings. Japan: 96, US: 98 and Europe: 99

I don't believe any other Pokemon game has sold over 30m either.



Dulfite said:
konnichiwa said:

They made 3 billion this year the highest amount ever...

What is the inflation rate this year, just curious? $3 billion from a year from now isn't worth as much as $3 billion now is, and even less than $3billion from a year ago and so on. Also development costs I believe are going up disproportionately.

I believe the inflation rate is around 1.1% this year. So there's barely any difference between 2019 and 2020.



Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Dulfite said:

What is the inflation rate this year, just curious? $3 billion from a year from now isn't worth as much as $3 billion now is, and even less than $3billion from a year ago and so on. Also development costs I believe are going up disproportionately.

I believe the inflation rate is around 1.1% this year. So there's barely any difference between 2019 and 2020.

2019 1.81%

2018 2.44%

2017 2.14%

2016 1.26%

These are projected so not sure how final these numbers are. But even if it is just 1.1% that means $3 billion in 2020 is worth $33,000,000 less in value than it was in 2019. I wouldn't say that's hardly any difference haha.



Looks like Animal Crossing is going to come up short unless it pulls off something crazy and sells another 2.7+ million by the end of March. But given no other game is in the stratosphere year 1 sales besides these two, it's probably going to be #1 for a long time with no other potential challengers outside the GTA franchise... Assuming GTA 6 launches in 2023 or later, or shocks and awes everyone and lands a copy on the Switch.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Looks like Animal Crossing is going to come up short unless it pulls off something crazy and sells another 2.7+ million by the end of March. But given no other game is in the stratosphere year 1 sales besides these two, it's probably going to be #1 for a long time with no other potential challengers outside the GTA franchise... Assuming GTA 6 launches in 2023 or later, or shocks and awes everyone and lands a copy on the Switch.

Not sure what you mean as AC has sold 30m already.



Wyrdness said:
Jumpin said:

Looks like Animal Crossing is going to come up short unless it pulls off something crazy and sells another 2.7+ million by the end of March. But given no other game is in the stratosphere year 1 sales besides these two, it's probably going to be #1 for a long time with no other potential challengers outside the GTA franchise... Assuming GTA 6 launches in 2023 or later, or shocks and awes everyone and lands a copy on the Switch.

Not sure what you mean as AC has sold 30m already.

I think he's talking about AC versus GTA V first year sales



pikashoe said:
Wyrdness said:

Not sure what you mean as AC has sold 30m already.

I think he's talking about AC versus GTA V first year sales

Ahh ok.