By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has Any Game Sold to 30 Million Units as Quickly as Animal Crossing Will?

src said:
  1. GTA
  2. RDR
  3. COD
  4. Among Us
  5. PUBG

Among Us was released in 2018 but gained popularity only in 2020. 

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
mk7sx said:

Assuming Animal crossing sells more than 3.94M copies from Oct-Dec 2020, it will have crossed 30M in at most, 9 months 2 weeks (call it 10 months).

PUBG hit 50M in 16 months on the market.  It probably crossed 30M in its initial summer/fall 2017 frenzy so I bet it counts.

I don't know if we have a definitive answer on any other title doing it faster aside from GTAV, which did it by Dec 2013 (~3.5 months). 

Yearly COD never gives specific confirmed figures as far as I know (just canned "biggest $$$ opening ever" type of statements usually (someone correct me if this is wrong).

Minecraft probably did not do it, that's just a product of selling 15-20M yearly.  It may have had a year where it moved 30M units, but the launch->30M timeframe was likely not shorter than ACNH. 

PUBG hit 50M fast enough that 30M makes sense, but don't 

RDR2 crossed 30M in the quarter of Jan - Mar 2020, so that took 15-18 months.  AC will blow past that.

There aren't very many exclusives even above 30M, let alone an exclusive that moved 30M in under a year.  MK8D/PkMn RGB, Wii Sports/Fit series, NSMB - none of those sold anywhere near that fast, they took years to climb up there.

I was trying to look into Call of Duty.  I found a blub that said CoD: Modern Warfare (2019) surpassed 30m copies on Sept 1, 2020.  That would make it a little bit more than 10 months time.  (Oct. 25, 2019 release date).  Animal Crossing will have to reach 30m by the end of the year in order to sell faster than that.  Judging by how it's been selling so far, it has a very high chance at reaching 30m faster than the fastest selling CoD game.

It is likely the only games that will reach 30m faster are GTA5 and PUBG.  The fact that Animal Crossing is on a single platform makes it all the more impressive.

GTA5 shipped 34 million in 1 year. So I think Animal Crossing will defeat its year 1 sales. Wii Sports didn’t sell anywhere near 30 million in 6 months.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

GTA5 shipped 34 million in 1 year. So I think Animal Crossing will defeat its year 1 sales. Wii Sports didn’t sell anywhere near 30 million in 6 months.

This says 36M.

Either way, agree ACNH by March 2021 should be able to be right around this, if not ahead.

IMO:

6,500K this quarter and 3,500K next quarter for 36M through 12 months and 2 weeks, right on par with GTAV's 1 year figure.

GTAV, Minecraft, maybe Pokemon?

Around the Network
mk7sx said:
Jumpin said:

This says 36M.

Either way, agree ACNH by March 2021 should be able to be right around this, if not ahead.

IMO:

6,500K this quarter and 3,500K next quarter for 36M through 12 months and 2 weeks, right on par with GTAV's 1 year figure.

GTA V needs two SKU.

In one SKU, maybe PuBG and nobody else. 

Minecraft? Then again it did start off a little slow.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Multiplatforms like GTA could reach those numbers, but it's going to be extraordinarily hard for an exclusive to do so.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
mk7sx said:

Assuming Animal crossing sells more than 3.94M copies from Oct-Dec 2020, it will have crossed 30M in at most, 9 months 2 weeks (call it 10 months).

PUBG hit 50M in 16 months on the market.  It probably crossed 30M in its initial summer/fall 2017 frenzy so I bet it counts.

I don't know if we have a definitive answer on any other title doing it faster aside from GTAV, which did it by Dec 2013 (~3.5 months). 

Yearly COD never gives specific confirmed figures as far as I know (just canned "biggest $$$ opening ever" type of statements usually (someone correct me if this is wrong).

Minecraft probably did not do it, that's just a product of selling 15-20M yearly.  It may have had a year where it moved 30M units, but the launch->30M timeframe was likely not shorter than ACNH. 

PUBG hit 50M fast enough that 30M makes sense, but don't 

RDR2 crossed 30M in the quarter of Jan - Mar 2020, so that took 15-18 months.  AC will blow past that.

There aren't very many exclusives even above 30M, let alone an exclusive that moved 30M in under a year.  MK8D/PkMn RGB, Wii Sports/Fit series, NSMB - none of those sold anywhere near that fast, they took years to climb up there.

I was trying to look into Call of Duty.  I found a blub that said CoD: Modern Warfare (2019) surpassed 30m copies on Sept 1, 2020.  That would make it a little bit more than 10 months time.  (Oct. 25, 2019 release date).  Animal Crossing will have to reach 30m by the end of the year in order to sell faster than that.  Judging by how it's been selling so far, it has a very high chance at reaching 30m faster than the fastest selling CoD game.

It is likely the only games that will reach 30m faster are GTA5 and PUBG.  The fact that Animal Crossing is on a single platform makes it all the more impressive.

the news that "modern warfare surpassed 30million" is confirmed by nvidia at their RTX30 announcement 2020.8.27, it's not exactly the time that modern warfare  "reached" 30 million. If the RTX announcement was earlier then the news would be released in earlier time.

If we're counting multi platforms, then watch out for Cyberpunk 2077. It should beat RDR 2 launch sales. I wonder if the game can challenge GTA 5 for biggest opening week ever. Please keep in mind that Cyberpunk will have strong sales on PC. Even having lower attachment rate than RDR 2 on PS4 and Xbox One shouldn't hurt its chances. I predict 4-5 milions preorders before December 10th debut. Initial sales of 10+milion copies in 48h.