By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Embracer Group acquires 13 more studios

Wait, Zen Studios is now also in the Embracer Group? Kingdom Come Deliverance and Metro are also great gets. The THQ-label certainly will get to play with the big publishers. Most interestingly, other big publishers more and more concentrate on a few big AAA-IPs, but THQ/Embracer publishes a lot of mid-tier games. That is actually cool.

EDIT:

Here is the list in Wikipedia, which doesn't even contain all of the new acquisitions above and is already long:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embracer_Group#Subsidiaries

Last edited by Mnementh - on 18 November 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Boy THQ Nordic sure has grown fast since they recovered all IP from THQ's bankrupcy.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

And people were complaining about Sony and Microsoft buying new studios. I've been following Embracer Group and saw them getting A LOT of acquisitions the last two years. I hope they don't end up shutting down all these devs

shikamaru317 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
ugh, why do companies have to keep changing names?Was gonna say I've never heard of any of them before, but apparently Embracer are Nordic Games?

Parent company of both THQ Nordic and Koch Media (Deep Silver).

Ka-pi isn't wrong:

"Embracer Group AB (formerly Nordic Games Publishing AB and THQ Nordic AB) is a Swedish video game holding company based in Karlstad. The company was established under the name Nordic Games in December 2008, [...] In August 2016, Nordic Games, together with its Viennese office, was renamed THQ Nordic, using the "THQ" trademark that it had acquired in 2014 [...]. Throughout 2018, THQ Nordic acquired Koch Media Holding (parent of Koch Media) and Coffee Stain Holding (parent of Coffee Stain Studios), both of which operate independently under THQ Nordic, complementary to THQ Nordic GmbH. To avoid confusion with THQ Nordic GmbH and to clarify its position as a holding company, THQ Nordic AB was renamed Embracer Group in September 2019, while THQ Nordic GmbH retained its name."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embracer_Group

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

*sigh*

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

THQ-Nordic/Embracer Group will be the Next Ubisoft, Mark My Words

Where the hell do they get the money from?

One might say they really embraced those companies...

No?

Okay. I'll let myself out.

KLXVER said:
Where the hell do they get the money from?

Nordic works really well with their IPs. They made small to mid-tier games with low risk and got revenue. And each acquisition they turn around. Lots of remasters, releases on many platforms, they get their money back. And the only really big acquisition they ever did was Koch media. That one indeed is baffling, Koch media had multiple times the employees.

I honestly don't recognize any of these studios.Can someone tell me what big IPs Embracer might be getting with these purchases?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1