By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS CFO Tim Stuart defends throwing MTX into $70 games.

DonFerrari said:
Runa216 said:

Honestly? I don't care for racing games or sports games outside of Mariokart so I don't care for Gran Turismo (it's also why I don't much care for Xbox since one of its only reliable franchises is a slightly better racing game). as for Uncharted and The Last of us, I didn't find their gameplay compelling at all. The story and writing and characters were all best in the industry, but neither were particularly fun to play. Uncharted is super rudimentary and repetitive cover shooting with hilariously simple puzzles and 'press forward to do the platforming' sections, and The Last of Us is again super rudimentary shooting and crafting with remarkably basic stealth gameplay. I don't think any of these games are BAD, but I do not understand the hype for any of them. 

Hey no problem, I was joking, you can totally not like those games for any number of reasons, yours I know are from your taste not warmongering.

Oh I know, I figured it'd be good to explain. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
green_sky said:

Can you guys give me examples of these micro-macro transactions. I've never paid money for them. I don't even see them when i play games.

It was given here, skin, maps, power up, accelerate.

Thanks. You know these threads go, hard to find anything. Two or three people arguing with quote trees. 

OT: I think skins mt's are okay ish. Anything that effects gameplay is not nice or gives unfair advantage to others. Like getting some drops in COD games loot boxes. In single player titles, bloat is a big issue or i guess just game design now. So some people rather pay to play those games rather than just ignore them like i do. Tons to play these days, ignore the boring bloat games. 

DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Quotemine, what an adorable term. You said something stupid and got called out on it, hope that helps. Doesn’t matter what game you were referring to, you were wrong anyway.

And wow look at all that stuff that you don’t get in your $60 LoU2 purchase. Gotta pay $250 for the “complete experience” or whatever you said. Wow that sucks. I guess $100 in completely optional skins is like a bargain in comparison. We are humbled.

Are you really doing this comparison while doing personal attacks?

And on you waiting for him to make the thread you certainly will go there to defend Sony as you are here defending MS?

What personal attack are you referring to? "you said something stupid"? That's not a personal attack, that's an attack on his argument.

And no, I won't be going into any thread to "defend Sony" because I don't post in Sony threads anymore, too much spamming :) But the fact that you think I am defending MS in this thread just goes to show how stupid console warz mentality is.

Cerebralbore101 said:
DonFerrari said:

He is indeed. I think I'll stop responding to him for the day. 

Please, take the day. Hell, take a week. It will take you that long to be able to come up with something that explains how optional multiplayer skins are required for the "complete experience" in Gears 5. We'll all be here waiting. You can work on your Last of Us 2 $249 thread in the meantime, friend.

Baddman said:

I just learned today I haven't got the complete gears 5 experience after going through the campaign twice(currently doing a 3rd) and tons of hours in multiplayer :( . Oh well back to more gears 5

Maybe you only spent $80. Sorry, not enough for the complete experience.

Also, don't play for too many hours, that's also bad.

green_sky said:
DonFerrari said:

It was given here, skin, maps, power up, accelerate.

Thanks. You know these threads go, hard to find anything. Two or three people arguing with quote trees. 

OT: I think skins mt's are okay ish. Anything that effects gameplay is not nice or gives unfair advantage to others. Like getting some drops in COD games loot boxes. In single player titles, bloat is a big issue or i guess just game design now. So some people rather pay to play those games rather than just ignore them like i do. Tons to play these days, ignore the boring bloat games. 

Don't worry, totally understand you.

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

And on you waiting for him to make the thread you certainly will go there to defend Sony as you are here defending MS?

What personal attack are you referring to? "you said something stupid"? That's not a personal attack, that's an attack on his argument.

And no, I won't be going into any thread to "defend Sony" because I don't post in Sony threads anymore, too much spamming :) But the fact that you think I am defending MS in this thread just goes to show how stupid console warz mentality is.

Cerebralbore101 said:

He is indeed. I think I'll stop responding to him for the day. 

Please, take the day. Hell, take a week. It will take you that long to be able to come up with something that explains how optional multiplayer skins are required for the "complete experience" in Gears 5. We'll all be here waiting. You can work on your Last of Us 2 $249 thread in the meantime, friend.

Baddman said:

I just learned today I haven't got the complete gears 5 experience after going through the campaign twice(currently doing a 3rd) and tons of hours in multiplayer :( . Oh well back to more gears 5

Maybe you only spent $80. Sorry, not enough for the complete experience.

Also, don't play for too many hours, that's also bad.

If you don't think you have been dissing personal attacks that talk volumes on how you only see others as console warriors but not yourself.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

If you don't think you have been dissing personal attacks that talk volumes on how you only see others as console warriors but not yourself.

yawn

Hit me up when you have a better understanding of what a personal attack is. Because attacking someone's argument certainly isn't a personal attack. Hope that helps.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

You know the main difference between you and I? You've already determined that Avowed is a system seller despite it not being out yet, you're already 100% convinced of the future despite everything in the past not fuelling that narrative. You've already decided that everything in the past 10 years means nothing and you're treating the future as certain whereas I am not. 

I'm not saying Returnal or Kena are going to be absolute bangers. I don't think FFXVI is going to be an instant hit yet just because it's a PS5 exclusive (at least timed exclusive). All my arguments and my points of view come from history, patterns, and proven track records. Insomniac is going to knock it out of the park with Ratchet & Clank because they always do and are coming off a studio high with Spider-Man. the New God of War is going to be great because the last one was. When was the last time Fable was good? When was the last time Microsoft successfully launched a new franchise? I ask because Sony did so with Horizon and that game was a critical and commercial success. 

And you know the difference? Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, and so many other Sony franchises are absent of loot boxes and microtransactions whereas stuff like Forza, Halo, and Gears are littered with microtransactions. Gran Turismo has them, sure, but that's one franchise out of dozens. Microsoft's three MAIN franchises are littered with them, and yet still you find that okay. 

I criticize Sony a lot. Sony has a LOT of shit I don't like or outright hate or think is overrated as hell. I can't stand The Last of us, I think gran Turismo and MLB the Show are bland, boring, repetitive, uninteresting games. I think Uncharted is one of the most overrated franchises in history and I outright HATE the PS2/3 God of War games...but even if you cut all these games out of the equation, there's still plenty of top-selling, critically acclaimed games with enough variety to please me and clearly many others. Oh, and very few of Sony's games have microtransactions of any sort. If you don't like Shooting games or racing games, you might as well not even have an Xbox, becuase that's basically all they have outside of Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Sea of Thieves. 

We're nothing alike, and the fact that you can't differentiate our styles and perspectives shows how blind you really are. and the fact that I've been banned for criticizing Microsoft/Xbox too hard shows that you are a minority in need of protection. or that there's a gross bias on this forum. Either way, time will tell what method works better, single-player third-person story-driven games without microtransactions or multiplayer focused games with tonnes of microtransactions and monthly fees, just like it has been for the last fucking decade. 

Guess I’ll respond to each paragraph. It’s easy to get a text wall from you. Anything that is similar to Skyrim is a potential system seller. Obsidian is a respected studio. I’m optimistic for the future because they have 23 studios including Bethesda. The past they had 5 studios. 5, with Mojang being one of them and multiplat. Excuse me if I know the mathematical difference between 5 and 23 lol. 

I agree Sony is consistent and Xbox has everything to prove. All I ask is that you not be such a Debbie Downer and let people like me be optimistic. This year alone Xbox Studios put out 10 games, and only Bleeding Edge scored below 70 on metacritic. Ori and Flight SIM scored above 90. I do have reason to be hopeful of the trend of quality continuing. 

The games you listed including GT7 having mtx all have multiplayer that are supported for years. That’s not a coincidence. And as I’ve said before Xbox first party played through GP nullifies the upfront costs as the service gets bigger and bigger. But I think we both agree that truly predatory mtx in games deserve to be complained about. 

Hey you like what you like, just like how Xbox appeals to me with its FPS, strategy, multiplayer, WRPG appeal, and general financial sense with GP. I don’t like certain things about Xbox. I don’t like how they share their IPs with PS. I like horizon but can’t get into Motorsport. I think 343 is poorly managed. 

Meh were alike in how dug in we are in our beliefs. But it’s comical how opposite we are too. I suggest not to discuss further unless it’s PM. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Runa216 said:

You know the main difference between you and I? You've already determined that Avowed is a system seller despite it not being out yet, you're already 100% convinced of the future despite everything in the past not fuelling that narrative. You've already decided that everything in the past 10 years means nothing and you're treating the future as certain whereas I am not. 

I'm not saying Returnal or Kena are going to be absolute bangers. I don't think FFXVI is going to be an instant hit yet just because it's a PS5 exclusive (at least timed exclusive). All my arguments and my points of view come from history, patterns, and proven track records. Insomniac is going to knock it out of the park with Ratchet & Clank because they always do and are coming off a studio high with Spider-Man. the New God of War is going to be great because the last one was. When was the last time Fable was good? When was the last time Microsoft successfully launched a new franchise? I ask because Sony did so with Horizon and that game was a critical and commercial success. 

And you know the difference? Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, and so many other Sony franchises are absent of loot boxes and microtransactions whereas stuff like Forza, Halo, and Gears are littered with microtransactions. Gran Turismo has them, sure, but that's one franchise out of dozens. Microsoft's three MAIN franchises are littered with them, and yet still you find that okay. 

I criticize Sony a lot. Sony has a LOT of shit I don't like or outright hate or think is overrated as hell. I can't stand The Last of us, I think gran Turismo and MLB the Show are bland, boring, repetitive, uninteresting games. I think Uncharted is one of the most overrated franchises in history and I outright HATE the PS2/3 God of War games...but even if you cut all these games out of the equation, there's still plenty of top-selling, critically acclaimed games with enough variety to please me and clearly many others. Oh, and very few of Sony's games have microtransactions of any sort. If you don't like Shooting games or racing games, you might as well not even have an Xbox, becuase that's basically all they have outside of Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Sea of Thieves. 

We're nothing alike, and the fact that you can't differentiate our styles and perspectives shows how blind you really are. and the fact that I've been banned for criticizing Microsoft/Xbox too hard shows that you are a minority in need of protection. or that there's a gross bias on this forum. Either way, time will tell what method works better, single-player third-person story-driven games without microtransactions or multiplayer focused games with tonnes of microtransactions and monthly fees, just like it has been for the last fucking decade. 

Guess I’ll respond to each paragraph. It’s easy to get a text wall from you. Anything that is similar to Skyrim is a potential system seller. Obsidian is a respected studio. I’m optimistic for the future because they have 23 studios including Bethesda. The past they had 5 studios. 5, with Mojang being one of them and multiplat. Excuse me if I know the mathematical difference between 5 and 23 lol. 

I agree Sony is consistent and Xbox has everything to prove. All I ask is that you not be such a Debbie Downer and let people like me be optimistic. This year alone Xbox Studios put out 10 games, and only Bleeding Edge scored below 70 on metacritic. Ori and Flight SIM scored above 90. I do have reason to be hopeful of the trend of quality continuing. 

The games you listed including GT7 having mtx all have multiplayer that are supported for years. That’s not a coincidence. And as I’ve said before Xbox first party played through GP nullifies the upfront costs as the service gets bigger and bigger. But I think we both agree that truly predatory mtx in games deserve to be complained about. 

Hey you like what you like, just like how Xbox appeals to me with its FPS, strategy, multiplayer, WRPG appeal, and general financial sense with GP. I don’t like certain things about Xbox. I don’t like how they share their IPs with PS. I like horizon but can’t get into Motorsport. I think 343 is poorly managed. 

Meh were alike in how dug in we are in our beliefs. But it’s comical how opposite we are too. I suggest not to discuss further unless it’s PM. 

I would say his problem with you isn't you being optimistic, is you determining certainty and bragging.

It is completely different being confident that with the new studios MS will be able to push a lot more great games (be them exclusive or not), another thing is to be certain that they will outperform Sony with the number, quality and sales of said games. Similar to the discussions I have to the specs of Xbox and PS5, anyone saying they were confident MS would have the most powerful because it was important to the company and they would invest a lot in it I would be fine accepting, the ones that said it was certain thing (as if MS could control what Sony do or had spies to know what Sony would do and them come above) were the ones I had issues with.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

I would say his problem with you isn't you being optimistic, is you determining certainty and bragging.

It is completely different being confident that with the new studios MS will be able to push a lot more great games (be them exclusive or not), another thing is to be certain that they will outperform Sony with the number, quality and sales of said games. Similar to the discussions I have to the specs of Xbox and PS5, anyone saying they were confident MS would have the most powerful because it was important to the company and they would invest a lot in it I would be fine accepting, the ones that said it was certain thing (as if MS could control what Sony do or had spies to know what Sony would do and them come above) were the ones I had issues with.

Pretty much this. That with one small addition that he's saying all this in spite of the data trending in the opposite way. that'd be like me brashly and confidently bragging about how much better myspace is doing than facebook...because they recently made some acquisitions and I liked their layout better. Like sure, maybe they'll come back and I'm allowed to like myspace for sure, but to speak such outlandish nonsense without any real proof aside from hope is just...it's bad conversation. It's not conducive to any sort of common area or middle ground. 

He's acting like his chosen brand has already won a war where it's vastly outnumbered and hasn't won a battle in years. It's foolish and frustrating. Everyone's allowed opinions, but there seems to be a distinct unwillingness to accept objective facts and history in lieu of his hopes and dreams for the company. Optimism is fine, but don't bring opinions to a fact fight, or something, you know? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

LudicrousSpeed said:

1. A complete experience is to experience something in it's entirety including every part.

2. Changing your multiplayer skin is a part of Gears 5.

3. Therefore in order to get the complete Gears 5 experience you need to have access to all the multiplayer skins.

It's a straightforward deductive argument.

How about you work on trying to refute my last argument having to do with your ridiculous Ellie Edition comparison? I suspect you brought up this new angle of attack, because you know that you can't win that one. ;)

Cerebralbore101 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

1. A complete experience is to experience something in it's entirety including every part.

2. Changing your multiplayer skin is a part of Gears 5.

3. Therefore in order to get the complete Gears 5 experience you need to have access to all the multiplayer skins.

It's a straightforward deductive argument.

How about you work on trying to refute my last argument having to do with your ridiculous Ellie Edition comparison? I suspect you brought up this new angle of attack, because you know that you can't win that one. ;)

Yeeeaaaah, it's pretty dumb. Sure, skins don't change the gameplay or give you bonuses, but it's still part of the experience. If I started up Dark Souls and found that the character creator's options were hidden behind paywalls or...ugh...randomized in boxes...I'd put that garbage game down instantly. 

I've made a habit of not playing games that require microtransactions. I play a few that have them, but I can avoid them (Red Dead Redemption 2 is a good example)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX