By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS CFO Tim Stuart defends throwing MTX into $70 games.

green_sky said:

Can you guys give me examples of these micro-macro transactions. I've never paid money for them. I don't even see them when i play games.

It was given here, skin, maps, power up, accelerate.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

So when you say “to get a full and complete MS first party game you need to spend $100 on MTX” you’re actually just referring to one game and one unreleased game. Gotcha. Makes complete sense.

Can you please list these micro transactions you need to buy in Gears 5 to get the complete experience? I’m doing a Gears play through and when I get to Gears 5, I want to make sure I get the full experience. Mind you, I’ve already played more than a bit of the multiplayer, so I know you don’t need to spend a penny there, but what are these other micro transactions? Thanks, friend.

@bolded: Of course. I don't know why anybody would think otherwise.

You can do the math for yourself. Figure out how much Iron you can earn from 300 hours of gameplay (an obscene amount of time to spend in a single game IMO). Convert that Iron into real world money. Next add up all the cost of the premium cosmetics in Gears 5 multiplayer (A.K.A. the ones that you'll never get from a supply drop). Subtract the former from the latter. 

If you get confused by this convoluted B.S. then Kotaku is here to help you wade through the Coalition's nonsense. https://kotaku.com/how-gears-5-s-confusing-microtransactions-work-1837942737

Because you said this: “ To get a full and complete 1st party Xbox game you need to spend well over $100 in MTX.”

No logical person would read that and come away thinking you meant just Gears 5 and an unreleased title. Otherwise, instead of putting “1st party Xbox game” you would have said “Gears 5”. If I were to say “to get a complete war party Sony game you need to spend hundreds in MTX” and then when pressed I say oh I just meant Last of Us and The Show, I’d be laughed at and probably banned. But hey, you’re shitting on Xbox with your trolling, so it’s all good.

As for Gears 5, you don’t need to spend a penny to get a complete experience. The only things you’d spend money on are if you want a premium skin or some kind of time saving purchase for stuff you can otherwise unlock in game. And the game is extremely generous with supply packs and even has a free battle pass system. Per usual, you’re full of shit here. That would be like me saying that you need to spend $250 and buy the Ellie Edition to get the full Last of Us 2 experience. See how stupid that sounds? That’s your argument. 

300 hours is a fine amount of time to spend in a game. I can’t imagine looking at someone getting that much value out of their game and complaining about it.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

@bolded: Of course. I don't know why anybody would think otherwise.

You can do the math for yourself. Figure out how much Iron you can earn from 300 hours of gameplay (an obscene amount of time to spend in a single game IMO). Convert that Iron into real world money. Next add up all the cost of the premium cosmetics in Gears 5 multiplayer (A.K.A. the ones that you'll never get from a supply drop). Subtract the former from the latter. 

If you get confused by this convoluted B.S. then Kotaku is here to help you wade through the Coalition's nonsense. https://kotaku.com/how-gears-5-s-confusing-microtransactions-work-1837942737

Because you said this: “ To get a full and complete 1st party Xbox game you need to spend well over $100 in MTX.”

No logical person would read that and come away thinking you meant just Gears 5 and an unreleased title. Otherwise, instead of putting “1st party Xbox game” you would have said “Gears 5”. If I were to say “to get a complete war party Sony game you need to spend hundreds in MTX” and then when pressed I say oh I just meant Last of Us and The Show, I’d be laughed at and probably banned. But hey, you’re shitting on Xbox with your trolling, so it’s all good.

As for Gears 5, you don’t need to spend a penny to get a complete experience. The only things you’d spend money on are if you want a premium skin or some kind of time saving purchase for stuff you can otherwise unlock in game. And the game is extremely generous with supply packs and even has a free battle pass system. Per usual, you’re full of shit here. That would be like me saying that you need to spend $250 and buy the Ellie Edition to get the full Last of Us 2 experience. See how stupid that sounds? That’s your argument. 

300 hours is a fine amount of time to spend in a game. I can’t imagine looking at someone getting that much value out of their game and complaining about it.

Clearly you didn't read sales2099's post, which I was responding to. Or the entire thread in general. Halo Infinite was mentioned 43 times in this thread. Gears 5 was mentioned over 160 times. Everyone in this thread pretty much understood where the conversation had turned to, except you. You are simply trying to strawman by way of a quotemine. 

A bunch of digital skins isn't comparable to the things that come with TLoU Ellie edition. Here's what you get for $250...

sales2099 said:
Runa216 said:

I wouldn't bother getting into it with him. He seems like good people but I've only ever once seen someone so blatantly biased towards an entertainment-based media company before and that was in the summer of 2006. 

This one dude, in the midst of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest being only the third movie in history to cross 1 billion dollars at the worldwide box office after a record-smashing 135 million dollar opening weekend (besting Spider-Man's 114 million opening), was trying to say that Superman Returns - a notoriously well-known disappointment of a movie - was more profitable. 

Despite the budget being higher and the international box office grosses being far, FAR lower. 

Despite one being a record breaking megahit and the other a colossal disappointment.

Sometimes, you just can't get through to people. We all have our biases, but some people put those biases ahead of logic and reason. I've noticed in this conversation that it's you and a select few others saying reasonable things, being willing to concede from time to time, and actually trying to engage in conversation while Sales2099 is just over there going 'everything Microsoft does is great and perfect and is better and everything Sony does is bad and you're sheep for buying into their nonsense lol'. He's allowed to have his opinion, we all agree on that, but holy hell you shouldn't be enabling him by validating his nonsense. He's one of the most blatant and unreasonable of Xbox fans on the site, and through my conversations with him as well as watching others like you converse with him, it's clear he'd spin anything to be pro-Microsoft and/or anti-sony. 

Despite Sony having more and better games. 

Despite Playstation outselling the Xbox more than 2:1.

So yeah, you might be best to just not engage him. He writes as much as I do but has nothing to say, really. He's probably paid by the Xbox division to talk them up or something. It's the most logical explanation for his irrational love for the brand. 

Talk to me directly next time. Your the flip side to me, so dug in and so sure of yourself. You so dismissive when my core reason for backing Xbox is “I spend hundreds less then you and I play more games then you”. I like their genres and MP in first party. More gaming for less money seems to be a good reason to like a brand...lol but sure keep your head in the sand.

The thread is trying to say MS is gouging us, when we overall pay less then you guys regarding 1st party. And it’s funny you talk about filler when you give a nice little story about Pirates of the Caribbean...

You say Elder Scrolls is one of your favourite IPs but even if it’s exclusive to Xbox consoles your love for Sony will prevent you from buying a Xbox. Now that’s brand loyalty. 

No, that's poverty, you insensitive [redacted]. Not everyone can afford a 600 dollar console just to play one game. I had to claw and scrape and scrounge and call in favours people owed me just to get a PS5, I'm not doing all that again for a console that's gonna have like, 3-5 games worth owning in its lifetime. And seriously? we've been over this dozens of times: I like Sony because they actually have games on their consoles, they actually try new things, they actually have soul and spirit in their work. Xbox is just the holy trinity again and again. The Xbox Series X is just the Xbox One with more teraflops. There's no innovation, there's no games. Microsoft should go third party and be done with it because they have no interest in getting enough variety to sustain their platform. 

User Was Banned for this Post - cycycychris

Last edited by cycycychris - on 23 November 2020

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

Talk to me directly next time. Your the flip side to me, so dug in and so sure of yourself. You so dismissive when my core reason for backing Xbox is “I spend hundreds less then you and I play more games then you”. I like their genres and MP in first party. More gaming for less money seems to be a good reason to like a brand...lol but sure keep your head in the sand.

The thread is trying to say MS is gouging us, when we overall pay less then you guys regarding 1st party. And it’s funny you talk about filler when you give a nice little story about Pirates of the Caribbean...

You say Elder Scrolls is one of your favourite IPs but even if it’s exclusive to Xbox consoles your love for Sony will prevent you from buying a Xbox. Now that’s brand loyalty. 

No, that's poverty, you insensitive [redacted]. Not everyone can afford a 600 dollar console just to play one game. I had to claw and scrape and scrounge and call in favours people owed me just to get a PS5, I'm not doing all that again for a console that's gonna have like, 3-5 games worth owning in its lifetime. And seriously? we've been over this dozens of times: I like Sony because they actually have games on their consoles, they actually try new things, they actually have soul and spirit in their work. Xbox is just the holy trinity again and again. The Xbox Series X is just the Xbox One with more teraflops. There's no innovation, there's no games. Microsoft should go third party and be done with it because they have no interest in getting enough variety to sustain their platform. 

I am surprised you wouldn't empathize with me saying paying $180 for all the games I can play with day 1 first party. I didn’t mean to call that out like that, but I’m surprised that my motivation doesn’t register with you either. Perhaps things like mobile streaming and Xbox All Access can remedy your situation if the brand somehow appeals to you in the future. At least you got that option. 

You are totally me but on the other end. You say Xbox only does the Trinity, I say they got plenty variety now with Avowed, Fable, Hellblade 2, Bethesda, etc. While Sony is ironically enough the sequel machine with Horizon, GoW, Ratchet, and GT7 next year. 

(To any mods, sorry for going off topic. He called me out and won’t stand for that). 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Azzanation said:

Actually.. TLOU1 did have MTXs, one of the worst kind as it used a Pay-2-Win method. 

Was referring to the upcoming standalone multiplayer mode that Naughty Dog spun off from TLoU2. 

Well technically we are already off to a bad start if the rumours are true. The fact they diced off the Multiplayer and plan on reselling again to its Audience. Games use to include both modes at $60. TLOU2 is going to cost $120 with both SP and MP. Maybe $130 if Sony plans on charging $70 for it.

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Was referring to the upcoming standalone multiplayer mode that Naughty Dog spun off from TLoU2. 

Well technically we are already off to a bad start if the rumours are true. The fact they diced off the Multiplayer and plan on reselling again to its Audience. Games use to include both modes at $60. TLOU2 is going to cost $120 with both SP and MP. Maybe $130 if Sony plans on charging $70 for it.

Yup it’s likely the Ps5 remaster will come with the “new” multiplayer and charge full price. Despite the multiplayer should be free as it’s supposed to be a delayed feature. Also considering you see next gen remaster upgrades to games like Halo MCC, Forza Horizon 4, and Gears 5 for free. And then you have the possibility of Lou 2 MP having predatory mtx like the first one had. 

I hope certain people here keep the same energy for when this game is released. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Clearly you didn't read sales2099's post, which I was responding to. Or the entire thread in general. Halo Infinite was mentioned 43 times in this thread. Gears 5 was mentioned over 160 times. Everyone in this thread pretty much understood where the conversation had turned to, except you. You are simply trying to strawman by way of a quotemine. 

A bunch of digital skins isn't comparable to the things that come with TLoU Ellie edition. Here's what you get for $250...

Quotemine, what an adorable term. You said something stupid and got called out on it, hope that helps. Doesn’t matter what game you were referring to, you were wrong anyway.

And wow look at all that stuff that you don’t get in your $60 LoU2 purchase. Gotta pay $250 for the “complete experience” or whatever you said. Wow that sucks. I guess $100 in completely optional skins is like a bargain in comparison. We are humbled.

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

TLoU2 Multiplayer needs to be free, or have such a massive amount of new assets in it that it justifies being sold as a separate game. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Quotemine, what an adorable term. You said something stupid and got called out on it, hope that helps. Doesn’t matter what game you were referring to, you were wrong anyway.

And wow look at all that stuff that you don’t get in your $60 LoU2 purchase. Gotta pay $250 for the “complete experience” or whatever you said. Wow that sucks. I guess $100 in completely optional skins is like a bargain in comparison. We are humbled.

Your post is missing a rebuttal. Instead you simply restate what you've already said, while ignoring my arguments that knock down your claims.