By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS CFO Tim Stuart defends throwing MTX into $70 games.

YoU cAnT cOmPaRe ThAt To DiGiTaL sKiNs is not a valid argument, especially when the $250 LoU2 comes with digital content. You can start by explaining how optional skins for MP in a game that gives you tons of skins are required for a “complete experience”. Should be funny to see you try to explain that nonsense.

We’ll all wait for your thread bitching about how Sony is requiring so much money for the complete LoU2 experience. I’m sure it’s coming any second now.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Azzanation said:

Well technically we are already off to a bad start if the rumours are true. The fact they diced off the Multiplayer and plan on reselling again to its Audience. Games use to include both modes at $60. TLOU2 is going to cost $120 with both SP and MP. Maybe $130 if Sony plans on charging $70 for it.

TLoU2 Multiplayer needs to be free, or have such a massive amount of new assets in it that it justifies being sold as a separate game. 

Id agree.

Kudos to Sony IF they release it as a free mode, however i doubt Sony wont charge for the MP game.

LudicrousSpeed said:

YoU cAnT cOmPaRe ThAt To DiGiTaL sKiNs is not a valid argument, especially when the $250 LoU2 comes with digital content. You can start by explaining how optional skins for MP in a game that gives you tons of skins are required for a “complete experience”. Should be funny to see you try to explain that nonsense.

We’ll all wait for your thread bitching about how Sony is requiring so much money for the complete LoU2 experience. I’m sure it’s coming any second now.

Digital Content? You mean the dynamic theme that could (and probably still can) be had for free? https://www.gamesradar.com/get-this-stunning-the-last-of-us-2-dynamic-ps4-theme-for-free/ Or the digital soundtrack, that you can listen to by looking it up on youtube for free? Or the custom avatars, that you can make yourself for free? Or the digital artbook that is a quick google search away for free?  

Also, none of these things are part of the game. The avatars, dynamic theme, digital soundtrack, and digital artbook are as much a part of the game as the physical statue, physical backpack, etc. A.K.A. They aren't. 

If Naughty Dog's CFO had made similar comments in an interview you can bet that I would have made a thread on it as well. But he didn't. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 22 November 2020

LudicrousSpeed said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Clearly you didn't read sales2099's post, which I was responding to. Or the entire thread in general. Halo Infinite was mentioned 43 times in this thread. Gears 5 was mentioned over 160 times. Everyone in this thread pretty much understood where the conversation had turned to, except you. You are simply trying to strawman by way of a quotemine. 

A bunch of digital skins isn't comparable to the things that come with TLoU Ellie edition. Here's what you get for $250...

Quotemine, what an adorable term. You said something stupid and got called out on it, hope that helps. Doesn’t matter what game you were referring to, you were wrong anyway.

And wow look at all that stuff that you don’t get in your $60 LoU2 purchase. Gotta pay $250 for the “complete experience” or whatever you said. Wow that sucks. I guess $100 in completely optional skins is like a bargain in comparison. We are humbled.

Are you really doing this comparison while doing personal attacks?

And on you waiting for him to make the thread you certainly will go there to defend Sony as you are here defending MS?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Quotemine, what an adorable term. You said something stupid and got called out on it, hope that helps. Doesn’t matter what game you were referring to, you were wrong anyway.

And wow look at all that stuff that you don’t get in your $60 LoU2 purchase. Gotta pay $250 for the “complete experience” or whatever you said. Wow that sucks. I guess $100 in completely optional skins is like a bargain in comparison. We are humbled.

Are you really doing this comparison while doing personal attacks?

He is indeed. I think I'll stop responding to him for the day. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Runa216 said:

No, that's poverty, you insensitive [redacted]. Not everyone can afford a 600 dollar console just to play one game. I had to claw and scrape and scrounge and call in favours people owed me just to get a PS5, I'm not doing all that again for a console that's gonna have like, 3-5 games worth owning in its lifetime. And seriously? we've been over this dozens of times: I like Sony because they actually have games on their consoles, they actually try new things, they actually have soul and spirit in their work. Xbox is just the holy trinity again and again. The Xbox Series X is just the Xbox One with more teraflops. There's no innovation, there's no games. Microsoft should go third party and be done with it because they have no interest in getting enough variety to sustain their platform. 

I am surprised you wouldn't empathize with me saying paying $180 for all the games I can play with day 1 first party. I didn’t mean to call that out like that, but I’m surprised that my motivation doesn’t register with you either. Perhaps things like mobile streaming and Xbox All Access can remedy your situation if the brand somehow appeals to you in the future. At least you got that option. 

You are totally me but on the other end. You say Xbox only does the Trinity, I say they got plenty variety now with Avowed, Fable, Hellblade 2, Bethesda, etc. While Sony is ironically enough the sequel machine with Horizon, GoW, Ratchet, and GT7 next year. 

(To any mods, sorry for going off topic. He called me out and won’t stand for that). 

You know the main difference between you and I? You've already determined that Avowed is a system seller despite it not being out yet, you're already 100% convinced of the future despite everything in the past not fuelling that narrative. You've already decided that everything in the past 10 years means nothing and you're treating the future as certain whereas I am not. 

I'm not saying Returnal or Kena are going to be absolute bangers. I don't think FFXVI is going to be an instant hit yet just because it's a PS5 exclusive (at least timed exclusive). All my arguments and my points of view come from history, patterns, and proven track records. Insomniac is going to knock it out of the park with Ratchet & Clank because they always do and are coming off a studio high with Spider-Man. the New God of War is going to be great because the last one was. When was the last time Fable was good? When was the last time Microsoft successfully launched a new franchise? I ask because Sony did so with Horizon and that game was a critical and commercial success. 

And you know the difference? Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, and so many other Sony franchises are absent of loot boxes and microtransactions whereas stuff like Forza, Halo, and Gears are littered with microtransactions. Gran Turismo has them, sure, but that's one franchise out of dozens. Microsoft's three MAIN franchises are littered with them, and yet still you find that okay. 

I criticize Sony a lot. Sony has a LOT of shit I don't like or outright hate or think is overrated as hell. I can't stand The Last of us, I think gran Turismo and MLB the Show are bland, boring, repetitive, uninteresting games. I think Uncharted is one of the most overrated franchises in history and I outright HATE the PS2/3 God of War games...but even if you cut all these games out of the equation, there's still plenty of top-selling, critically acclaimed games with enough variety to please me and clearly many others. Oh, and very few of Sony's games have microtransactions of any sort. If you don't like Shooting games or racing games, you might as well not even have an Xbox, becuase that's basically all they have outside of Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Sea of Thieves. 

We're nothing alike, and the fact that you can't differentiate our styles and perspectives shows how blind you really are. and the fact that I've been banned for criticizing Microsoft/Xbox too hard shows that you are a minority in need of protection. or that there's a gross bias on this forum. Either way, time will tell what method works better, single-player third-person story-driven games without microtransactions or multiplayer focused games with tonnes of microtransactions and monthly fees, just like it has been for the last fucking decade. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

I am surprised you wouldn't empathize with me saying paying $180 for all the games I can play with day 1 first party. I didn’t mean to call that out like that, but I’m surprised that my motivation doesn’t register with you either. Perhaps things like mobile streaming and Xbox All Access can remedy your situation if the brand somehow appeals to you in the future. At least you got that option. 

You are totally me but on the other end. You say Xbox only does the Trinity, I say they got plenty variety now with Avowed, Fable, Hellblade 2, Bethesda, etc. While Sony is ironically enough the sequel machine with Horizon, GoW, Ratchet, and GT7 next year. 

(To any mods, sorry for going off topic. He called me out and won’t stand for that). 

You know the main difference between you and I? You've already determined that Avowed is a system seller despite it not being out yet, you're already 100% convinced of the future despite everything in the past not fuelling that narrative. You've already decided that everything in the past 10 years means nothing and you're treating the future as certain whereas I am not. 

I'm not saying Returnal or Kena are going to be absolute bangers. I don't think FFXVI is going to be an instant hit yet just because it's a PS5 exclusive (at least timed exclusive). All my arguments and my points of view come from history, patterns, and proven track records. Insomniac is going to knock it out of the park with Ratchet & Clank because they always do and are coming off a studio high with Spider-Man. the New God of War is going to be great because the last one was. When was the last time Fable was good? When was the last time Microsoft successfully launched a new franchise? I ask because Sony did so with Horizon and that game was a critical and commercial success. 

And you know the difference? Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, and so many other Sony franchises are absent of loot boxes and microtransactions whereas stuff like Forza, Halo, and Gears are littered with microtransactions. Gran Turismo has them, sure, but that's one franchise out of dozens. Microsoft's three MAIN franchises are littered with them, and yet still you find that okay. 

I criticize Sony a lot. Sony has a LOT of shit I don't like or outright hate or think is overrated as hell. I can't stand The Last of us, I think gran Turismo and MLB the Show are bland, boring, repetitive, uninteresting games. I think Uncharted is one of the most overrated franchises in history and I outright HATE the PS2/3 God of War games...but even if you cut all these games out of the equation, there's still plenty of top-selling, critically acclaimed games with enough variety to please me and clearly many others. Oh, and very few of Sony's games have microtransactions of any sort. If you don't like Shooting games or racing games, you might as well not even have an Xbox, becuase that's basically all they have outside of Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Sea of Thieves. 

We're nothing alike, and the fact that you can't differentiate our styles and perspectives shows how blind you really are. and the fact that I've been banned for criticizing Microsoft/Xbox too hard shows that you are a minority in need of protection. or that there's a gross bias on this forum. Either way, time will tell what method works better, single-player third-person story-driven games without microtransactions or multiplayer focused games with tonnes of microtransactions and monthly fees, just like it has been for the last fucking decade. 

How come you don't like UC, TLOU anf GT? I'll remove our friendship =p ... tastes are really something that vary so much among people.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

I just learned today I haven't got the complete gears 5 experience after going through the campaign twice(currently doing a 3rd) and tons of hours in multiplayer :( . Oh well back to more gears 5

DonFerrari said:
Runa216 said:

How come you don't like UC, TLOU anf GT? I'll remove our friendship =p ... tastes are really something that vary so much among people.

Honestly? I don't care for racing games or sports games outside of Mariokart so I don't care for Gran Turismo (it's also why I don't much care for Xbox since one of its only reliable franchises is a slightly better racing game). as for Uncharted and The Last of us, I didn't find their gameplay compelling at all. The story and writing and characters were all best in the industry, but neither were particularly fun to play. Uncharted is super rudimentary and repetitive cover shooting with hilariously simple puzzles and 'press forward to do the platforming' sections, and The Last of Us is again super rudimentary shooting and crafting with remarkably basic stealth gameplay. I don't think any of these games are BAD, but I do not understand the hype for any of them. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:

Honestly? I don't care for racing games or sports games outside of Mariokart so I don't care for Gran Turismo (it's also why I don't much care for Xbox since one of its only reliable franchises is a slightly better racing game). as for Uncharted and The Last of us, I didn't find their gameplay compelling at all. The story and writing and characters were all best in the industry, but neither were particularly fun to play. Uncharted is super rudimentary and repetitive cover shooting with hilariously simple puzzles and 'press forward to do the platforming' sections, and The Last of Us is again super rudimentary shooting and crafting with remarkably basic stealth gameplay. I don't think any of these games are BAD, but I do not understand the hype for any of them. 

Hey no problem, I was joking, you can totally not like those games for any number of reasons, yours I know are from your taste not warmongering.