By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: Xbox Series didn’t need a system seller at launch

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
sales2099 said:

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

Imo calling Bethesda a “poached” developer warranted my response. Like the acquisition was without honour or something. It was done with mutual agreement with a premium that is unheard of in this industry. But sure that dastardly MS “poached” poor and innocent Bethesda. 

So that’s where I’m coming from and I hope the mods see that too. 

As a 3rd party dev, Bethesda existed in the wild. Any gamer that wanted to play a Bethesda game could play it on their platform of choice, with the exception of Nintendo. But even then there are a few Bethesda games on Switch. Now, if MS goes through with Bethesda exclusivity they will have removed all those Bethesda games from the wild, making them PC/Xbox only. I'm sure Bethesda is more than happy to be purchased, but that's beside the point. If MS does indeed plan on buying up even more studios simply to spitefully keep them off PS5, then they are insanely hypocritical, and damaging to gaming as a whole. MS can do whatever they want with their own home grown content. If you made a game you have every right to sell it however you want. But trying to moneyhat 3rd party games off of PS5, simply because you want to monopolize the gaming industry is a scumbag move. Anyway, call it whatever you want. Poaching, Scalping, Extreme Moneyhatting. Either way it goes against their previous PR spin nonsense that "Exclusives are evil. Sony is evil for making better games than us, and then not selling those games on our platforms!!!"

Both Sony and MS bought studios. What each studio made before hand is irrelevant. To me going 1st party takes the dev off the market. They objectively aren’t expected to make multiplat games because we know it’s a simple matter of ownership. But a dev staying 3rd party doing exclusive content...that’s dirty. 

But there really is no moral high ground you can take as a Sony fan, especially talking about “damaging gaming”. Sony drove Sega out of console gaming. The beat Nintendo so bad that they will never return to traditional consoles ever again. All their consoles have to be underpowered and have a unique hardware quirk to remain competitive. Sony almost drove out Xbox until Phil convinced MS to back them. 

You talk about MS trying to monopolize the gaming industry and scumbag moves...look no further then Sony having a rich history of choking out competition. As long as PS has more marketshare, Xbox should be buying and buying and buying and buying until Sony doesn’t have anybody left to moneyhat and we can finally have some long overdue equilibrium. 

Microsoft should buy everyone and everything to make things even !!!

If they buy everything they create a monopoly , do you even think before you write these...

Monopoly is dictated by marketshare, not assets owned. So taking Nintendo out of the equation as they are doing something different from Sony and MS, the marketshare Sony has tells me it is they who have a monopoly. Doesn’t matter what MS buys until their marketshare is at least over 50% they ain’t no monopoly, yet. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:
Don't need to do ALL this workaround tô defend Phill. Just ask yourself the question, If Halo Infinite launched with the console would be say It isn't important to have a good launch lineup? Since you know he wouldn't then it's quite obvious he is doing damage Control.

And at the same time you should ask yourself  one question, if Halo Infinite were launching with X|S and was phenomenal and rated 95 meta, how many more X|S consoles would be sold at launch versus what is being sold now? The answer of course, is zero. 

I doubt you read the interview, he was asked directly about the Halo Infinite delay and launching without a “marquee game” as a result. So yeah, obviously if Halo Infinite wasn’t delayed, he wouldn’t have been asked that question and thus wouldn’t have given that answer. That’s called common sense, not “damage control”.

The difference would be, if halo infinite launched with the system, people buying it would be showing it off to their friends saying you got to get one of these, it's awesome. Many you tube let's plays would be made, a lot of buzz and viral marketing to get the tier 2 customer group excited.

Instead we get, well it plays my old games better.

Doesn't matter at launch, does matter a lot for momentum. And true, what can he say. We fucked up, sorry.

Oh sure, word of mouth could be good. But it would also be pointless, because there are no systems for those second customers to buy. By the time the supply begins to outpace the demand, MS could have a Halo Infinite out.

At the end of the day he said software library at the next holiday season is more important than launch because launch systems will sell out regardless. He's absolutely right.

LudicrousSpeed said:
SvennoJ said:

The difference would be, if halo infinite launched with the system, people buying it would be showing it off to their friends saying you got to get one of these, it's awesome. Many you tube let's plays would be made, a lot of buzz and viral marketing to get the tier 2 customer group excited.

Instead we get, well it plays my old games better.

Doesn't matter at launch, does matter a lot for momentum. And true, what can he say. We fucked up, sorry.

Oh sure, word of mouth could be good. But it would also be pointless, because there are no systems for those second customers to buy. By the time the supply begins to outpace the demand, MS could have a Halo Infinite out.

At the end of the day he said software library at the next holiday season is more important than launch because launch systems will sell out regardless. He's absolutely right.

Ah, my bad, I forgot XBox doesn't have any months between December and October :p

I'm pretty sure supply will be outstripping demand long before Halo Infinite comes out.

I mean all the stock is sold out. Scalpers are charging premium. Imagine if they had a killer launch game. Better this way.

Maybe, maybe not, that's why I said they could have it out. Could be a spring title for all we know.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
sales2099 said:

If someone only plans on owning a single non-nintendo console, and  hasn't bought a next gen non-nintendo console yet, then they are up for grabs from either Sony or MS. If Sony grabs them first, then MS just lost a customer and vice versa. You can't look at last gen and assume that everyone is going to stick to the same brand they had. Sure, most will, but there's enough swing consumers that will go either direction at the start of a new gen. A new generation is supposed to be a total reset anyway. Right? 

It is a reset, though the odds are stacked against Xbox. I won’t re open the Bethesda debate, just that they did say the reason they can’t outright brag is because the deal won’t go through until next year. Seems to be a legal issue to being vague is all they can do. Once the deal goes through officially they better get more clear fast is all I’ll say. It would go a ways if people knew definitively. 

And technically Xbox games aren’t exclusive. It’s Xbox One, Series S/X, Windows Store, Steam, Game Pass, and Android mobile devices. PS not having future games is still insanely pro consumer based on the variety and low barrier options. 

So MS expects people that don't have a PC or Xbox to play their poached studios' games on their phone? Yeah, that'll go down well.

It’s an option, that’s kinda the whole thing with Xbox. I can see Xcloud breaking out in Asia if marketed properly. But it is also used to supplement console and PC gaming.

But hey, if you got a really loyal PS only gamer, your options are to stay salty, buy a Xbox or play the game on their current phone by subbing to Xcloud Game Pass. 

Playing on a phone with input lag, and a screen smaller than a Switch is so inferior of a gaming option that you shouldn't even bother with it. If MS seriously thinks this is a realistic option then they've lost their minds. If they are going to keep their poached games off PS5, then they should just admit that their "Pro-Consumer" stance was all a bunch of spin to cover up the fact that they needed to expand their market outside of console gaming to survive.

The lag has been improving steadily, and shouldn’t be a problem with a strong home wifi signal. The small screen is funny considering many Nintendo handhelds had screens smaller then modern smartphones...I wonder if you complained their screens were small back in the day. 

I think we all know they had to expand beyond consoles to survive, but what’s your point? Seems salty that Xbox expanding its reach where Sony stuck in the old ways. 

Also your use of poached is a little salty. They were 3rd party. Now they are 1st. Sony buys studios too ya know...but in their case I bet you’d think they were “uplifted” in a warm embrace :p

Runing a little fast and loose with the salty remarks. As far as I remember that is a moderation worthy insult. Somehow seems fine for you to spam it. 

Backseat modding is also moderation worthy.

If you're wondering why I responded to this and none of the salty remarks, the answer is simple. Someone reported this post. Nobody reported the salty comment. (Unless another mod hid it, but we try not to do that before bringing it up in modchat).

Mods aren't omnipresent dude. We try our best to keep an eye on things, but we don't read every word of every post. So, if you think something is an issue, you got to meet us halfway and flag it. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you expect.

Anyways, don't call anyone salty, and don't suggest someone should be modded. This seems to be a case of one relatively minor violation apiece, so we can call it even and move on. Anything further on this should be via PM.

should change the didn't need to doesn't have.

That would be a more truthful statment. 

Last edited by Drakrami - on 15 November 2020

Drakrami said:

should change the didn't need to doesn't have.

That would be a more truthful statment. 

We'll see. It's not like the 360, PS3, DS, or even the PS2 really had a system seller at launch, and they all did ok. I'd say the XBox One X is probably worse than all of those (except maybe DS), but maybe he's right and it will do just fine. 

sales2099 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
sales2099 said:

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

Imo calling Bethesda a “poached” developer warranted my response. Like the acquisition was without honour or something. It was done with mutual agreement with a premium that is unheard of in this industry. But sure that dastardly MS “poached” poor and innocent Bethesda. 

So that’s where I’m coming from and I hope the mods see that too. 

As a 3rd party dev, Bethesda existed in the wild. Any gamer that wanted to play a Bethesda game could play it on their platform of choice, with the exception of Nintendo. But even then there are a few Bethesda games on Switch. Now, if MS goes through with Bethesda exclusivity they will have removed all those Bethesda games from the wild, making them PC/Xbox only. I'm sure Bethesda is more than happy to be purchased, but that's beside the point. If MS does indeed plan on buying up even more studios simply to spitefully keep them off PS5, then they are insanely hypocritical, and damaging to gaming as a whole. MS can do whatever they want with their own home grown content. If you made a game you have every right to sell it however you want. But trying to moneyhat 3rd party games off of PS5, simply because you want to monopolize the gaming industry is a scumbag move. Anyway, call it whatever you want. Poaching, Scalping, Extreme Moneyhatting. Either way it goes against their previous PR spin nonsense that "Exclusives are evil. Sony is evil for making better games than us, and then not selling those games on our platforms!!!"

Both Sony and MS bought studios. What each studio made before hand is irrelevant. To me going 1st party takes the dev off the market. They objectively aren’t expected to make multiplat games because we know it’s a simple matter of ownership. But a dev staying 3rd party doing exclusive content...that’s dirty. 

But there really is no moral high ground you can take as a Sony fan, especially talking about “damaging gaming”. Sony drove Sega out of console gaming. The beat Nintendo so bad that they will never return to traditional consoles ever again. All their consoles have to be underpowered and have a unique hardware quirk to remain competitive. Sony almost drove out Xbox until Phil convinced MS to back them. 

You talk about MS trying to monopolize the gaming industry and scumbag moves...look no further then Sony having a rich history of choking out competition. As long as PS has more marketshare, Xbox should be buying and buying and buying and buying until Sony doesn’t have anybody left to moneyhat and we can finally have some long overdue equilibrium. 

Microsoft should buy everyone and everything to make things even !!!

If they buy everything they create a monopoly , do you even think before you write these...

Monopoly is dictated by marketshare, not assets owned. So taking Nintendo out of the equation as they are doing something different from Sony and MS, the marketshare Sony has tells me it is they who have a monopoly. Doesn’t matter what MS buys until their marketshare is at least over 50% they ain’t no monopoly, yet. 

Please start a thread called Sony Has A Monopoly on the Console Industry!

Then please explain how Sony has used unfair business practices according to the FTC. Here's their page defining what a monopoly is. https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/single-firm-conduct/monopolization-defined Seriously though, please read that page.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 15 November 2020

JWeinCom said:
eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
sales2099 said:

If someone only plans on owning a single non-nintendo console, and  hasn't bought a next gen non-nintendo console yet, then they are up for grabs from either Sony or MS. If Sony grabs them first, then MS just lost a customer and vice versa. You can't look at last gen and assume that everyone is going to stick to the same brand they had. Sure, most will, but there's enough swing consumers that will go either direction at the start of a new gen. A new generation is supposed to be a total reset anyway. Right? 

It is a reset, though the odds are stacked against Xbox. I won’t re open the Bethesda debate, just that they did say the reason they can’t outright brag is because the deal won’t go through until next year. Seems to be a legal issue to being vague is all they can do. Once the deal goes through officially they better get more clear fast is all I’ll say. It would go a ways if people knew definitively. 

And technically Xbox games aren’t exclusive. It’s Xbox One, Series S/X, Windows Store, Steam, Game Pass, and Android mobile devices. PS not having future games is still insanely pro consumer based on the variety and low barrier options. 

So MS expects people that don't have a PC or Xbox to play their poached studios' games on their phone? Yeah, that'll go down well.

It’s an option, that’s kinda the whole thing with Xbox. I can see Xcloud breaking out in Asia if marketed properly. But it is also used to supplement console and PC gaming.

But hey, if you got a really loyal PS only gamer, your options are to stay salty, buy a Xbox or play the game on their current phone by subbing to Xcloud Game Pass. 

Playing on a phone with input lag, and a screen smaller than a Switch is so inferior of a gaming option that you shouldn't even bother with it. If MS seriously thinks this is a realistic option then they've lost their minds. If they are going to keep their poached games off PS5, then they should just admit that their "Pro-Consumer" stance was all a bunch of spin to cover up the fact that they needed to expand their market outside of console gaming to survive.

The lag has been improving steadily, and shouldn’t be a problem with a strong home wifi signal. The small screen is funny considering many Nintendo handhelds had screens smaller then modern smartphones...I wonder if you complained their screens were small back in the day. 

I think we all know they had to expand beyond consoles to survive, but what’s your point? Seems salty that Xbox expanding its reach where Sony stuck in the old ways. 

Also your use of poached is a little salty. They were 3rd party. Now they are 1st. Sony buys studios too ya know...but in their case I bet you’d think they were “uplifted” in a warm embrace :p

Runing a little fast and loose with the salty remarks. As far as I remember that is a moderation worthy insult. Somehow seems fine for you to spam it. 

Backseat modding is also moderation worthy.

If you're wondering why I responded to this and none of the salty remarks, the answer is simple. Someone reported this post. Nobody reported the salty comment. (Unless another mod hid it, but we try not to do that before bringing it up in modchat).

Mods aren't omnipresent dude. We try our best to keep an eye on things, but we don't read every word of every post. So, if you think something is an issue, you got to meet us halfway and flag it. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you expect.

Anyways, don't call anyone salty, and don't suggest someone should be modded. This seems to be a case of one relatively minor violation apiece, so we can call it even and move on. Anything further on this should be via PM.

lol

I find it hilarious that someone felt the need to flag my comment. I appreciate your response. It kind of gave me the win here as people are loosing so hard that they are resorting to flagging post cuz they have no proper response .

I will not flag post. Im a adult and the opinions of no one is going to send me crying to a mod. I get that it makes this one sided against me, but such is life. 

P.S. I had abandoned this thread as it was going nowhere. but this brought me back.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.