By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor- Sony looking to buy Bluepoint Games

shikamaru317 said:
PotentHerbs said:

In this very thread, another ResetEra "insider" Okabe, teased the possibility of Sony buying Capcom. Apparently he has ties to Capcom, but I'm not sure what kind of leaks he has gotten right before, aside from the recent Price of Persia remake/remaster.

Edit: Well, MaximillionDood, who has some industry sources knows Okabe lol. 

I wouldn't say that is impossible, but it would be quite pricey for Sony. Capcom is public, so they'd have to buy out other stock holders, and stock prices would rise due to the acquisition attempt. Capcom is currently worth $3.35b, price for an acquisition would be over $4b for sure. 

I believe Capcom is worth more than that 3.35b figure. Their market cap should be closer to 5 Billion. 

Although a bit pricey, Playstation is Sony's most important division in terms of profit, and potentially the most profitable business they are in, considering digital revenue and higher game prices. It would be their biggest acquisition since Colombia Pictures. 

Around the Network

Not really needed and grain of salt and all, but their remasters were great and there are still plenty of titles that need remasters.And well if Sony buy them hope they double or triple the teams to churn more classics.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

shikamaru317 said:
PotentHerbs said:

In this very thread, another ResetEra "insider" Okabe, teased the possibility of Sony buying Capcom. Apparently he has ties to Capcom, but I'm not sure what kind of leaks he has gotten right before, aside from the recent Price of Persia remake/remaster.

I wouldn't say that is impossible, but it would be quite pricey for Sony. Capcom is public, so they'd have to buy out other stock holders, and stock prices would rise due to the acquisition attempt. Capcom is currently worth $3.35b, price for an acquisition would be over $4b for sure. 

These deals take several months and it may be that a rumor showing up is already after the deal was already closed, and the market cap could have been a lot lower at the time, plus these deals also consider future price and it could be that they though the shares would go down. We never really know before they are officially announced.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

PotentHerbs said:
shikamaru317 said:
PotentHerbs said:

I believe Capcom is worth more than that 3.35b figure. Their market cap should be closer to 5 Billion. 

Although a bit pricey, Playstation is Sony's most important division in terms of profit, and potentially the most profitable business they are in, considering digital revenue and higher game prices. It would be their biggest acquisition since Colombia Pictures. 

$3.35b is what came up on search results, but it does seem to be inaccurate, current market cap is $5.26b, would probably end up costing Sony more than $6b to acquire them since stock prices would increase due to the acquisition attempt. So yeah, not impossible for Sony to acquire them, but pretty unlikely I'd say. Sony has never spent more than $4b on an acquisition in their entire history, though their Columbia Pictures acquisition in 1989 for $3.4b would be equivalent to $7.1b in today's money, and their CBS Records acquisition in 1988 for $2b would be equivalent to $4.4b in today's money. All of their more recent acquisitions have been somewhat cheaper though, EMI Music for $2.3b in 2018, Sony Ericsson for $1.5b in 2012, Ten Sports for $385m in 2016, Gaikai for $380m in 2012, Insomniac for $229m in 2019. Spending $6b on Capcom would be an awfully big play for modern Sony. I'd say it's more likely that they make timed or full exclusivity deals for some of Capcom's upcoming games this generation like Res 4 Remake and Street Fighter 6, rather than straight up acquire them. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 12 November 2020

DonFerrari said:
shikamaru317 said:
PotentHerbs said:

These deals take several months and it may be that a rumor showing up is already after the deal was already closed, and the market cap could have been a lot lower at the time, plus these deals also consider future price and it could be that they though the shares would go down. We never really know before they are officially announced.

For a public company? Not likely. That shit would be known about! With thousands (or potentially many more) of stock owners around the world there's basically no chance that a deal could have been finalised without people talking about it.

Plus, shares don't go down when a company wants to buy them. They go up. Stockholders think "if you want to buy my shares then you need to make it worth my while".

Around the Network

There is really nothing Sony need to do more. Since the PS3 they have been a powerhouse in terms of churning out first party games with new ips and diversity. The only minor complain is they need to release more in the RPG genre.

Just ignore's Microsoft's costly acquisitions. They aren't very cost efficient. It costs a lot to run these studios monthly, just concentrate on building quality games like they have and they will overcome the moneyhatting. Just throwing money at the problem is not going to bring in the quality and creativity of creating AAA games. (EG. Scalebound). The Bethesda acquisition looks more like a panic move from Microsoft then anything. They probably looked at their first party lineup and saw a lot of holes in it and went ahead to make a big splash by buying Bethesda before their console release. Microsoft is still a formidable competitor, but Sony won with PS4 for a good reason.

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:
shikamaru317 said:
PotentHerbs said:

For a public company? Not likely. That shit would be known about! With thousands (or potentially many more) of stock owners around the world there's basically no chance that a deal could have been finalised without people talking about it.

Plus, shares don't go down when a company wants to buy them. They go up. Stockholders think "if you want to buy my shares then you need to make it worth my while".

My company was public traded, worth quite a lot, among the biggest in the sector. When the purchasing news leaked it had already been signed for several months prior. That is because these deals start with companies signing a deal to not discuss outside the small group that are conducting the deal (boards of directors). After all the proposition and details are defined the boards will offer the proposition to the concil and just after accepted will that be know to shareowners who them vote if they accept the deal or not.

And taking advantage of information on a deal (or sharing it) is counted as privile information and is a crime.

In the case of my company the deal to start the negotiation had started like 12-24 months before anything leaked. For you to have an idea from what I know the deal started negotiation when the company was worth 80USD per trade and expected to peak at around 120, they were offered 140. When the deal was public it was worth 134.

shikamaru317 said:
PotentHerbs said:
shikamaru317 said:
PotentHerbs said:

$3.35b is what came up on search results, but it does seem to be inaccurate, current market cap is $5.26b, would probably end up costing Sony more than $6b to acquire them since stock prices would increase due to the acquisition attempt. So yeah, not impossible for Sony to acquire them, but pretty unlikely I'd say. Sony has never spent more than $4b on an acquisition in their entire history, though their Columbia Pictures acquisition in 1989 for $3.4b would be equivalent to $7.1b in today's money, and their CBS Records acquisition in 1988 for $2b would be equivalent to $4.4b in today's money. All of their more recent acquisitions have been somewhat cheaper though, EMI Music for $2.3b in 2018, Sony Ericsson for $1.5b in 2012, Ten Sports for $385m in 2016, Gaikai for $380m in 2012, Insomniac for $229m in 2019. Spending $6b on Capcom would be an awfully big play for modern Sony. I'd say it's more likely that they make timed or full exclusivity deals for some of Capcom's upcoming games this generation like Res 4 Remake and Street Fighter 6, rather than straight up acquire them. 

Sony has a bit more cash on hand than usual though. When they bought EMI for $2.3b they had like $16b. Now they have $41b. ($8b more than last quarter) If they were to make an acquisition, now would be the time. The gaming division could especially gain support for the acquisition due to MS recent moves.

A Bluepoint acquisition on the other hand would be very cheap. Insomniac is a pretty big game developer and sold for $229m (275+ employees). Bluepoint only had 90 employees, so Sony could easily buy Bluepoint and another company.

shikamaru317 said:
Spade said:
shikamaru317 said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-sony-to-acquire-bluepoint-games-very-soon.324523/

A leaker over on ResetEra claims to have 2 separate sources who told him that Sony plans to acquire Bluepoint Games. Supposedly Sony has been very pleased with the work Bluepoint has done for Sony as a 2nd party studio over the years, working on God of War Collection, The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Vita Port, Flower PS4 and Vita ports, Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, Gravity Rush Remastered, Shadow of the Colossus remake, and Demon's Souls remake. Meanwhile he says that Bluepoint wants to be acquired because they don't want to be known as just a remake studio and want a shot at an original IP. He says that the acquisition deal is being finalized and will be announced no later than February 28th.

Take this leak with a grain of salt because neither of the leakers 2 sources were verified by Era's mods.

Damn that's a real positive for Playstation. Getting a remaster studio would be great to maybe get those PS2 mascot games, ie) Jake and Daxter and maybe Sly. Would fall in line with their rhetoric of wanting to grow more organically (establish a business relationship and then purchase). 

Yeah, while it does sound like they want to be acquired so that they can try their hand at an original IP, I'm sure they will still work on some remasters for Sony. I can think of several prime candidates for remastering and remakes. I personally would love to see an Uncharted 1 remake on PS5. 

To be fair, their first ever game, which was also Sony published, was an original Ip.

I'm surprised that's never left PS3.

I hope so because they have proven they are very good at remaking games and sony have a great selection of old Ips available for that.