By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor- Sony looking to buy Bluepoint Games

Farsala said:

Sony has a bit more cash on hand than usual though. When they bought EMI for $2.3b they had like $16b. Now they have $41b. ($8b more than last quarter) If they were to make an acquisition, now would be the time. The gaming division could especially gain support for the acquisition due to MS recent moves.

A Bluepoint acquisition on the other hand would be very cheap. Insomniac is a pretty big game developer and sold for $229m (275+ employees). Bluepoint only had 90 employees, so Sony could easily buy Bluepoint and another company.

Yes, I'm not sure why people keep saying that would be expensive for Sony. They have $41 billion sitting idle and their PlayStation division is making over $20 billion in revenue a year.

A point against a massive third party acquisition is that Sony have shown an ability now to produce massive selling games and critically acclaimed new IP, from within their own studios, for a fraction of the cost. (Bluepoint has now produced 2 highly successful games back to back. I expect Sony will pick them up next for a very reasonable price.)

What would a Capcom purchase (or any big third party studio) bring to the table? A massive financial investment on a business that is valued and makes profit selling it's games across all platforms. Then limiting all these titles to one platform? It's a lot of risk.

Looking specifically at Capcom, the last time they made a new IP that scored over 90 was in 2008. They're essentially re-cycling the same legacy franchises that always appear on PlayStation anyway. You could argue it could be a preventative measure to not lose those IP, but I'd imagine Sony would be looking at how that $6-7 billion could be used carefully over time to acquire hand-picked studios, or better spent elsewhere.

Around the Network
 sales2099 said:
Well they are a solid remaster studio. They can spend generations remastering old gems

I'm sure they can make games as well. As 343 has shown us even remastering games takes a great amount of skill. Really made me appreciate the work these studios do and what it takes to truly remaster a game.

They are remaking games not remastering.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm open to it. They've done some great work with Sony IPs.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Even though the “leak” could as well be just a hoax as many leaks were before, it’s a logical step for Sony to take. They already have a tight relationship with Sony and they could remake many IPs that are now dying (Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ape Escape, The Mark of Kri, some even suggest a Legend of Dragoon remake). On the other hand, they could divide the team by two so that the major one could work on remakes and the smaller on a new IP. It’s a great deal for Sony