By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 BC mishaps - Arrogant Sony strikes back?

Are BC of Demo and Beta from PS4 on PS5 important to you?

Yes 10 33.33%

No 20 66.67%

Total:30
DonFerrari said:
Zkuq said:
The situation with demos and betas isn't great, but this is a very minor inconvenience. The bigger problem is Sony's lackluster backwards compatibility, which is at least finally happening again to an extent but it's still not great. If I want to play old PlayStation games, PC is my best bet, which is now how things should be.

Most of the good PS1 and PS2 games were remastered or launched as classics on PS4, or were substituted by modern sequels. I don't truly miss any of those older games. The solution Sony gave for that is PSNow. But perhaps with more pressure they start including more BC features, since they stopped having it because they saw little financial return.

Yeah, but I'm not interested in paying again for something I already own - especially when the improvments are very insignificant. I might actually be more willing to pay if I could trust I could play what I own in the future, but after Sony dropped support for (even digitally sold) PS1 games after PS3, I have little faith.

Around the Network

Their arrogance is the exclusion of 1440p resolution which has been available since the Dark ages. The fact they said they could add it if theirs demand. That would mean if developers doesn't want 4k then it will be 1080 and if they choose dynamic then the lowest Res will be 1080p which is disappointing. The fact u don't have expandable storage for the time being shows arrogance as they expect people to be okay with deleting games and reinstalling them

Zkuq said:
The situation with demos and betas isn't great, but this is a very minor inconvenience. The bigger problem is Sony's lackluster backwards compatibility, which is at least finally happening again to an extent but it's still not great. If I want to play old PlayStation games, PC is my best bet, which is now how things should be.

Can't really blame them. Data on the amount of people that actually use BC is not good. It's a hardly used feature. I think gamers who post on forums and stuff sometimes forget just how in the minority they are when it comes to gaming. I easily game more than anyone I know except for one other guy I work with. Neither one of us really goes back to play old games like that. At most we go back to the 360\ps3 gen and that's it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/backward-compatible-xbox-360-games-are-less-than-2-of-xbox-one-usage-time/

Zkuq said:
DonFerrari said:
Zkuq said:

Most of the good PS1 and PS2 games were remastered or launched as classics on PS4, or were substituted by modern sequels. I don't truly miss any of those older games. The solution Sony gave for that is PSNow. But perhaps with more pressure they start including more BC features, since they stopped having it because they saw little financial return.

Yeah, but I'm not interested in paying again for something I already own - especially when the improvments are very insignificant. I might actually be more willing to pay if I could trust I could play what I own in the future, but after Sony dropped support for (even digitally sold) PS1 games after PS3, I have little faith.

You are never ensured of anything. No one can be sure of the future. And the reason why the PS1 games you bought on PS3 doesn't work on PS4 is because there is no emulator on PS4. From what I understood PSNow titles for PS1, 2 and 3 were part of the subscription (like GP) and not paid extra. Will have to check.

But sure if you want to play the original PS1 games you can only play in PS1, 2 or 3 there is no denying.

dane007 said:
Their arrogance is the exclusion of 1440p resolution which has been available since the Dark ages. The fact they said they could add it if theirs demand. That would mean if developers doesn't want 4k then it will be 1080 and if they choose dynamic then the lowest Res will be 1080p which is disappointing. The fact u don't have expandable storage for the time being shows arrogance as they expect people to be okay with deleting games and reinstalling them

For it to be excluded it would need to be there in first place. Was it? Nope. And Sony already answered they focused on the commercial standard for TVs. And even if you could output 4k a 1440p would on PS5 would only accept 1080p.

They made a slot for internal expansion, the fact that the FW isn't ready doesn't show arrogance, show they didn't had the time or you use other reasoning. If you were complaining about not being able to use cold storage that would be another point, which Sony said they are looking at.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

dane007 said:

Do you even know what arrogance is?

Around the Network

I do have AC Syndicate. But If the game is unplayable or doesn’t receive a patch to fix it I won’t worry. I’m more interested in playing the enhanced exclusives.I would be worried if the console didn’t had any confirmed dates for exclusives between 2020-2022.

method114 said:
Zkuq said:

Can't really blame them. Data on the amount of people that actually use BC is not good. It's a hardly used feature. I think gamers who post on forums and stuff sometimes forget just how in the minority they are when it comes to gaming. I easily game more than anyone I know except for one other guy I work with. Neither one of us really goes back to play old games like that. At most we go back to the 360\ps3 gen and that's it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/backward-compatible-xbox-360-games-are-less-than-2-of-xbox-one-usage-time/

Sure, it makes sense from Sony's perspective. From my perspective it doesn't though, and luckily Sony is a giant corporation that can fend for itself without me defending it as well. And uh, I do go back to old games. I mostly play newer games, but I do occasionally play older games as well.

DonFerrari said:
Zkuq said:
DonFerrari said:
Zkuq said:

You are never ensured of anything. No one can be sure of the future. And the reason why the PS1 games you bought on PS3 doesn't work on PS4 is because there is no emulator on PS4. From what I understood PSNow titles for PS1, 2 and 3 were part of the subscription (like GP) and not paid extra. Will have to check.

But sure if you want to play the original PS1 games you can only play in PS1, 2 or 3 there is no denying.

Oh, on PC there's backwards compatibility really far back and then some (i.e. other systems as well). Microsoft, as much as I dislike the company, has also shown commitment to backwards compatibility, unlike Sony (or Nintend for that matter, but that's for another thread). I seriously doubt PS1 emulation for PS3 is programmed in such a way that it couldn't very easily be ported over to PS4 and PS5. Actually at this point the same probably goes for PS2 emulation as well.

As for PS Now, well, there's the subscription part. I have no interest in paying a subscription fee for an inferior experience when I don't have enough time to take advantage of the subscription that much anyway. The same goes for PS+: It's great value when you have enough time but not so much when you don't. For me, it's either committing a very large portion of my gaming time to a subscription or not getting my money's worth, and I can't justify that level of commitment.

Zkuq said:
method114 said:
Zkuq said:

Sure, it makes sense from Sony's perspective. From my perspective it doesn't though, and luckily Sony is a giant corporation that can fend for itself without me defending it as well. And uh, I do go back to old games. I mostly play newer games, but I do occasionally play older games as well.

DonFerrari said:
Zkuq said:
DonFerrari said:
Zkuq said:

Oh, on PC there's backwards compatibility really far back and then some (i.e. other systems as well). Microsoft, as much as I dislike the company, has also shown commitment to backwards compatibility, unlike Sony (or Nintend for that matter, but that's for another thread). I seriously doubt PS1 emulation for PS3 is programmed in such a way that it couldn't very easily be ported over to PS4 and PS5. Actually at this point the same probably goes for PS2 emulation as well.

As for PS Now, well, there's the subscription part. I have no interest in paying a subscription fee for an inferior experience when I don't have enough time to take advantage of the subscription that much anyway. The same goes for PS+: It's great value when you have enough time but not so much when you don't. For me, it's either committing a very large portion of my gaming time to a subscription or not getting my money's worth, and I can't justify that level of commitment.

Well MS isn't even doing BC, it is doing official emulation =p but yes it is more robust than Sony.

And yes I doubt it would be that hard for Sony to make PS1 and PS2 emulation work on PS5 without issue. With some effort even PS3 should be doable. Still that impacts with their interest on reselling classics, remasters, etc, plus most costumers not caring. So it is something that would net loss instead of profit. At least right now, but who knows. If MS BC keeps getting praised and fans nag Sony enough they may go for it. Otherwise it is something that takes manpower and they are using it for other features.

I don't think the price of one or two full games a year for the sub is expensive and if you play 3 or more games from PS+ you got your ROI (plus the extra discounts if you like digital games) same for PSNow (which can also be subbed montlhy). But I perfectly understand your point of it not being worth your money or time when you balance everything.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Hynad said:

I do especially the fact they assumed people don't use monitors to game at 1440p and instead uses tv. That's arrogance. To implement it wouldn't be hard. They didn't care about those gamers at all. 

dane007 said:

Do you even know what arrogance is?

Zkuq said:
method114 said:
Zkuq said:

DonFerrari said:
Zkuq said:
DonFerrari said:
Zkuq said:

Oh, on PC there's backwards compatibility really far back and then some (i.e. other systems as well). Microsoft, as much as I dislike the company, has also shown commitment to backwards compatibility, unlike Sony (or Nintend for that matter, but that's for another thread).

While I agree with you about MS. They just had their worst launch in Xbox history releasing no first party titles for their console. I don't think any console maker has done that in the history of gaming. They've been so heavily focused on BC this gen because frankly it's all they have. After Halo Infinite failed they doubled down hard on BC.